APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2024.01.DD - Gitarre & Bass - Rock 'n' Roll Lighthouse: Interview with Duff McKagan

Go down

2024.01.DD - Gitarre & Bass - Rock 'n' Roll Lighthouse: Interview with Duff McKagan Empty 2024.01.DD - Gitarre & Bass - Rock 'n' Roll Lighthouse: Interview with Duff McKagan

Post by Blackstar Yesterday at 2:25 am

Original article in German:
https://www.gitarrebass.de/stories/rock-n-roll-lighthouse-duff-mckagan-im-interview/

Auto-translation:

Rock 'n' Roll Lighthouse: Interview with Duff McKagan

By Arnd Müller

Since the Guns N' Roses reunion, the bassist with a punk rock past seems to be touring the world non-stop. In the last two years, he has also recorded songs for Ozzy Osbourne's 'Patient No. 9' and Iggy Pop's 'Every Loser'. Meanwhile, Bob Dylan announced in an interview in the Wall Street Journal that 'Chip Away' (from Duff's sophomore album 'Tenderness') had impressed him. In October, a new record, Lighthouse, was released - with really great and exciting music that fired a deep melancholy and acoustic strumming with rock 'n' roll energy. How does that work?

Hello Duff, where are you right now?

In Lexington, Kentucky. It's known for its big horse race, the Kentucky Derby. I'm currently on tour with Guns N' Roses.

In 1993 you released your first solo album 'Believe In Me'. Have you learned anything new in the last 30 years in terms of songwriting and rock'n'roll feel?

I hope so. (laughs) 30 years ago I was still drinking and doing drugs. I don't do that anymore. When I recorded this record, I had 15 years of experience. And now it's 29 more years that I've spent playing and especially playing acoustic guitar, as well as songwriting/singing and listening to a lot of music. Recording is still the same for me. You set up a mic and do your fucking best.

What inspired you to write your new songs?

I already had a few songs ready before Covid. When it started, I recorded every day. At first I thought it would take two weeks, then four weeks, then eight. Then came quarantine and watching the political fallout around the world - it all affected me. My home is a beautiful place. And between me and my wife, our children are already out of the house, our relationship became even stronger, precisely because of Covid. We watched the world go to hell, at least a little bit. The songs took on a different form like 'I Saw God On 10th St.', there are also political songs. As a world traveler, which I have been since the 80s, I try to learn languages so that I can at least understand something of what's going on. I love books and have read a lot about different cultures, because that's what interests me. And then going to these places is great. For the last 35 years, different cultures have influenced my songwriting.

What can you tell me about the recording process?

I have my own studio in Seattle. It's a nice little studio with good vibes from the 50s. The old owner only wanted to sell it to musicians. He offered it at a good price, which is unusual for Seattle. It seemed like a good deal and I bought the studio. The recording process went like this: We brought microphones, a board, preamps and things like that into the room. Then I brought my gear that I've been recording with for almost 40 years. I never replaced them with newer stuff because my old gear always sounded better. I worked with producer Martin Feveyear, he's the best. Most of the time it was just me and him recording the stuff. There are ten tracks on the album, but we recorded 60 songs in total, so there's a lot more to come. On 'Lighthouse' there are the first ten that fit well together lyrically and tell a story.

Did you record all the instruments?

Most of what you hear is mine, but I also had some local musicians on it, like Tim Dijulio, who played a lot of lead guitars. He's incredibly good, a Mick Ronson type of player, in the vein of Faces. He's our favorite guitarist in Seattle, just like Mike McCready (Pearl Jam, editor's note). Hopefully Tim will get a bit more attention at some point.

You also played drums, didn't you?

Yes, but most of it was played by Jamie Douglas. He's the drummer for Shooter Jennings. But he had Covid and couldn't come at first. So the way we did it was I sent him nine demos and when he was feeling better he flew over and recorded the songs within a week. We did that three times. Jerry Cantrell came in and played guitar on 'I Just Don't Know' and also sang backing vocals. It seems like there were a lot of people in the studio, but it was more of a random thing. There's an older song called 'Hope' that I recorded in 1996 with Abe Laboriel Jr. on drums and Slash on guitar. During the pandemic, I got the master tapes back, and because of the lyrics, the song fit in well with the rest.

And Slash had to be there, didn't he?

I liked the song so much, with or without Slash. He played such a wonderful melody and he couldn't remember that it was his when I played it for him. It was written in a very dark period of his life, 1996, but this song shows how good Slash is. He can play something like that and he doesn't even remember it.

Photos from the studio show you with a black acoustic guitar and a Fender Jazz Bass. Were those your main instruments?

I used my jazz bass on pretty much every track. I haven't changed strings in four years, and it always seems to sound better in the studio.During Covid I bought a 1966 Hagström bass online, which I've also used. Have you ever seen instruments like this? It's a shortscale, which I didn't realize when I bought it. But it sounds so cool. I used a Fender Bassman 800 as a bass amp. Then there were a few different electric guitars and acoustics. Mostly I played a Burny Les Paul through a Marshall half-stack or a Crate amp (see below for more info).

We were just talking about the guests on the album. In the reprise of 'Lighthouse' you hear Iggy Pop, only a minute and a half long, but it's pretty intense. He just talks and sounds like a storyteller, with this almost raspy and dark timbre. He seems to be someone special to you in general.You contributed to Iggy's last album 'Every Loser' and toured with him.

For me, there's Iggy, there's Lemmy and there's Prince. And Iggy is the only one still alive. Without him, I wouldn't be playing this kind of rock'n'roll. Never in my life! I helped with his album, I rehearsed with him and we played a total of five shows. We had to put the setlist together beforehand and I just said OK to everything. Then I asked him to join me on 'Lighthouse'. I don't remember exactly how that happened. I remember the moment I got the recording from him - he talks my lyrics, amazing! We built the music around it. I mean Iggy's voice, that's the voice of God!

When I heard the new Guns N' Roses song 'Perhaps', I thought of your new album. Because 'Perhaps' conveys a similar mix of singer/songwriter approach and rock energy. Maybe a bit unusual for Guns N' Roses.

I like 'Perhaps' and Axl's lyrics when he sings, ""Perhaps I was wrong." For someone like him to say something like that means a lot. Have you seen the video?

Yes.

We look like a happy band that's working hard. We're closer than ever and playing really well. It's great to see Axl having such a good time every night. I think 'Perhaps' is a wonderful little song.

Can we expect a new Guns N' Roses album?

Perhaps?!

BASS, AMPS & EFFECTS

Fender Jazz Bass, 1966 Hagström bass, Custom Fender Precision Bass, Fender Bassman amps (tube and transistor) & cabinets, Orange AD200B, SansAmp PSA-1

GUITAR & AMPLIFIER

1980s Guild Jumbo Acoustic, Burny Les Paul, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Marshall JCM800 hot rod amp, Oahu Tonemaster vintage amp & cabinet
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 91078

Back to top Go down