APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2024.08.02 - Guitar Interactive - Duff McKagan: Beyond The Lighthouse

Go down

2024.08.02 - Guitar Interactive - Duff McKagan: Beyond The Lighthouse Empty 2024.08.02 - Guitar Interactive - Duff McKagan: Beyond The Lighthouse

Post by Blackstar Mon Aug 05, 2024 12:13 am

Source:
https://guitarinteractivemagazine.com/issues/issue-105-duff-mckagan-richie-kotzen/

Duff McKagan:
BEYOND THE LIGHTHOUSE

When you think of rock 'n' roll survivors, few have rocked as hard and lived to tell the tale quite like Duff McKagan. Fresh off the successful release of his third solo album, ‘Lighthouse,’ the Guns N’ Roses bassist is set to embark on a headline UK and European tour later this year. The tour, kicking off in Dublin, will see the iconic musician grace fifteen cities across eleven countries. Duff chats exclusively with Guitar Interactive Magazine’s Jonathan Graham about the creative process behind ‘Lighthouse,’ collaborating with Slash, more new music on the way, plus, a Guns N’ Roses group chat that might surprise you.

FOR four decades, Duff McKagan has been an indomitable force in rock music. From his early days with punk bands like The Vains, The Fastbacks, and The Fartz to his seminal role as a founding member of Guns N’ Roses and Velvet Revolver, McKagan’s influence is indelible. His solo career has only further solidified his reputation as a versatile and introspective artist.

McKagan’s latest record, ‘Lighthouse,’ represents the first full-length collection that was born in McKagan’s own studio. This album sees him baring more of his artistic soul than ever before, blending acoustic elements with hard-edged rock to find that sweet spot between introspective reflection and pure energy. Notable tracks include “Hope,” featuring Slash, and “I Just Don’t Know,” with contributions from Jerry Cantrell of Alice in Chains.

Discussing the involvement of GNR bandmate Slash on “Hope,” McKagan elaborated, “I got the masters back for this record I did back in ‘96 called ‘Beautiful Disease’ that got shelved. I finally got it back... so we listened to the songs, and I thought ‘Hope’ would work. I re-sang it so that my voice sounds the same on the record, but other than that, it’s Abe Laboriel, Slash, and me throwing down a song.”

The album kicks off with the powerful title track, “Lighthouse,” capturing the essence of seeking solace and guidance amidst chaos. The collaboration with Slash on “Hope” adds a layer of melodic depth, showcasing McKagan’s ability to blend heartfelt lyrics with electrifying guitar riffs.

“Longfeather” stands out with its introspective lyrics and haunting melody that echo themes of home and belonging. “Holy Water” brings a grittier edge, with McKagan’s raw vocals and a driving rhythm anchoring the song’s message of redemption.

“I Saw God on 10th St” and “Fallen” delve into existential reflections, with the former painting vivid imagery of urban life and the latter exploring themes of loss and trauma. “Forgiveness” is a poignant ballad resonating with McKa-gan’s personal journey of growth and reconciliation. “Just Another Shakedown” injects a burst of energy, reminiscent of McKagan’s punk roots, while “Fallen Ones” provides a contemplative counterpoint, examining the fragility of life. The acoustic rendition of “I Just Don’t Know,” featuring Jerry Cantrell, strips back the layers to reveal the song’s deep emotional core. The album closes with “Lighthouse (Reprise),” a hauntingly beautiful collaboration with Iggy Pop, offering a reflective and satisfying conclusion.

As speculation continues to swirl around when Guns N’ Roses might release their next full-length album, McKagan’s solo projects serve as a testament to his relentless creativity and passion for music. His ability to juggle both solo endeavors and band commitments speaks volumes about his dedication and versatility as an artist.

McKagan’s solo work has always been carefully timed around his commitments with Guns N’ Roses. “I don’t want to clog the way of the next Guns thing. So you gotta do it in between. I’m not trying to compete with Guns or, you know, any of that kind of crap. This is totally different music,” he explains. This balance is crucial, especially with fans eagerly anticipating new material from Guns N’ Roses. Their last release, the ‘Hard Skool' EP, dropped in 2021, featuring two new tracks that hinted at the band’s ongoing creative vigor.

“I just finished tracking. I’m doing vocals now on 15 more. And there’s so many songs,” McKagan explains. His songwriting journey has been profoundly personal, often guided by the resonance of an acoustic guitar pressed against his chest. “It was when I started writing songs for what would be ‘Tenderness,’ and I found that I listened to the resonation that was right down my chest.”

Reflecting on his extensive career and the forthcoming tour that kicks off in the United Kingdom, McKagan shared, “There must be some comfort level because, you know, the first place I’m going to come and play these songs with my new band for this is there. So there definitely is a comfort factor.” He attributes part of this comfort to the UK’s early embrace of Guns N’ Roses in 1987. “We came and played the Marquee three nights, and people knew who we were, and the gigs were sold out. It was supposed to be one night, then it turned into two and three. And before we knew it, we were playing Hammersmith Odeon.”

McKagan’s approach to his gear for live performances is minimalistic yet powerful, focusing on delivering raw and not overly processed tones. “I go through a Fender Super Reverb for my electric, but I mainly play acoustic a lot. I have a Hummingbird that Slash bought me for the ‘Tenderness’ tour that I use often,” Duff explains.

No matter the instrument, Rotosound has been Duff McKagan’s string of choice for over three decades. “Their guitar strings are great. Their bass strings are great. Once I got those Rotosound Swing Bass strings, why change to anything else? They’re part of my sound,” he emphasized. The UK string manufacturer recently came to McKagan’s aid in relation to a mysterious eight-string Hagstrom bass for an upcoming track. He explained: “There’s a new song called ‘Trenches’ that I thought an eight-string bass might sound amazing on, but the strings it came with were just bad... I asked Rotosound, ‘You got eight-string bass strings?’ And they said, ‘We’ll make you some.’ 1 don’t know what they did, but they’re really good,” he recalled.

With new music promised to be on the horizon, McKagan’s latest release, ‘Lighthouse (Expanded Edition),’ includes eight additional tracks and three exclusive live performance videos filmed at Easy Street Records in McKagan’s hometown of Seattle, WA. A standout track is the stripped-down acoustic rendition of “I Just Don’t Know,” which showcases McKagan’s vulnerability and vocal prowess.

‘Lighthouse’ has proven to be a worthy follow-up to 2019’s ‘Tenderness,’ an album that started a powerful new chapter for McKagan. Produced by three-time GRAMMY Award-winner Shooter Jennings, Duff's sophomore effort tackled societal issues and personal transgressions against a rich sonic backdrop of Americana-fueled arrangements.

The album’s track “Chip Away” received extraordinary praise from Bob Dylan, who called it a personal favorite. “There’s a Duff McKagan song called ‘Chip Away’ that has profound meaning for me," Dylan told 'The Wall Street Journal. “It’s like my own songwriting, I overwrite something, then I chip away lines and phrases until I get to the real thing.”

“I started getting texts and emails from friends who wake up earlier,” McKagan recalls with a smile. “Friends in England were like, ‘Dude, there’s a thing in Wall Street Journal. Axl sent me a link first thing in the day. ‘You see this?”’ Reflecting on Dylan’s praise, McKagan added, “Put yourself in my shoes. You write some songs you believe in. You think you got it right. You go record. You put the thing out. And somebody like that pays that compliment... I mean, he’s the godfather of that music.”

In addition to his music, McKagan is a New York Times best-selling author and co-host of Sirius XM’s popular ‘Three Chords & The Truth’ radio show. He is also a member of the modern-day “Wrecking Crew” alongside musician/ producer Andrew Watt and Red Hot Chili Peppers’ Chad Smith, contributing to albums by Ozzy Osbourne and Iggy Pop.

Despite all the accolades, achievements, and rock legend status, Duff and his fellow GNR bandmates apparently still find time to share a light-hearted side through a WhatsApp group that’s largely dedicated to dad jokes. “So many dad jokes,” McKagan laughs. “Dad jokes are so great because they’re so fucking dumb. You try to get the dumbest joke you can. Like, hey, Bono and the Edge walk into a bar, and the bartender says, ‘Not U2 again.’” Even rock icons need a good laugh.

Having recently celebrated his 60th birthday, McKagan remains a vital force in the music industry. When asked what advice he would give to his younger self, McKagan responds with a mix of humor and sincerity. “I would have told myself maybe at 20, like, fucking watch out, dude, you don’t need to drink, you know, stop. But I didn’t. And that was part of my path leading to my pancreas bursting.” It was a lesson learned the hard way for McKagan, but he needed the wake-up call, as he explained: “I learned from that. I didn’t get out of the hospital and start drinking again. Fuck that. I learned I’m done. I drank enough. I wanted to stop for years in my 20s.”

Looking back on his career spanning decades, with excitement for the road that lies ahead, McKagan shares insights on the lessons learned — especially when it comes to sobriety and personal growth. “My life has turned out well, and I think it’s because of me getting sober at 30. It really changed a lot of things. I was able to get to a straighter line to that truth and the truth in yourself.” He continues by underscoring the importance of maintaining and mending relationships, adding, “Keeping friendships has been a key in my life. If you fuck up a friendship, make amends and get it back online.”

Duff McKagan’s latest album, ‘Lighthouse,’ is available to stream on all major platforms worldwide.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 90755

Back to top Go down

2024.08.02 - Guitar Interactive - Duff McKagan: Beyond The Lighthouse Empty Re: 2024.08.02 - Guitar Interactive - Duff McKagan: Beyond The Lighthouse

Post by Blackstar Mon Aug 05, 2024 12:14 am

Video interview:

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 90755

Back to top Go down