APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2024.07.10 - Erie Reader - One Man Mutiny: An Interview with The Replacements' Tommy Stinson

Go down

2024.07.10 - Erie Reader - One Man Mutiny: An Interview with The Replacements' Tommy Stinson Empty 2024.07.10 - Erie Reader - One Man Mutiny: An Interview with The Replacements' Tommy Stinson

Post by Blackstar Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:11 am

One Man Mutiny: An Interview with The Replacements' Tommy Stinson

by Larry Wheaton

Catch the legendary musician at Lavery Brewing Company
SATURDAY, JUL. 20

There will be a "One Man Mutiny" at the Bunker behind Lavery Brewing Company as singer-songwriter and bassist Tommy Stinson brings an intimate solo performance to one of Erie's most-loved breweries. Stinson has been a part of rock'n'roll history through his work as a bassist for the Replacements, Guns N' Roses, and Soul Asylum, along with working with the bands Perfect and Bash & Pop. He is fresh off the release of his third solo record Wronger, which he released with Pennsylvania guitarist Chip Roberts, under his country project moniker Cowboys in the Campfire — the style is in the same vein as the Old 97s, The Knitters, and Golden Smog.

Stinson has been traveling for the past year, playing intimate shows in backyards and breweries, and his continuing trek brings him through Erie. The show is being billed as a performance with his friends, who are members of Central Pennsylvania's Ma'aM, a country-bluegrass band that will be opening the evening. This is an unmissable chance to see a Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominee and legendary rock musician play at a smaller venue, right in our hometown.

*The following interview was completed after print publication of our July 2024 issue

Larry Wheaton had the opportunity to talk with Tommy Stinson ahead of his performance in Erie at Lavery Brewing Company's Bunker about what it's like playing these intimate shows, his projects, and music in general.

Larry Wheaton (LW): How did Erie end up on your radar? Did Lavery's reach out to you?

Tommy Stinson (TS): They reached out to my agent and I was doing some shows in the region with this band called Ma'aM and it seemed like it would be a good thing.

LW: Where are you headed after Erie?

TS: I am actually doing Rochester, New York and then Erie. Then I think that might be it for now. My idea was to try and play some shows with my band friends and play my stuff with them, that kind of thing. So these (shows) are sort of a test run to see how it works and if it's a thing. But they are friends of mine and there is no question in my mind if it's going to be fun, because I already know it's going to be fun.

LW: Have you ever been to Erie before?

TS: You know I can't say that I have never been to Erie, but I don't remember being in Erie.

LW: You have been playing a lot of breweries and people's homes – what do you like about playing these more intimate venues?

TS: So little pressure, I am playing to the people that want to come see me and I'm not fighting for anything – I can go and do what I want to do and play some songs for some folks and do it on my own terms. I like the idea of that alot. The night club scene has kind of goofed up since COVID and I am in this place in my life where its like, I am going to hang out anyway, so why don't I just fucking take it to the people directly? Hang out and do a thing.

LW: The show is being billed as Tommy Stinson and Friends and you are bringing Ma'am, how did you hook up with them?

TS: I met them at a gig I did in Central Pennsylvania last year and just fell in love with them. They were so much fun and they have a great horn section that consists of a harmonica player and baritone trumpet. Can't beat that.

LW: What's the evening set going to look like, playing with Ma'am?

TS: I am going to do a bit of a solo set and they are going to come out and they are going to play some of the rock set with me, then they're going to continue playing their stuff when I walk off.

LW: Can we expect to hear songs from your latest release Wronger?

TS: Yep. The set will have a little bit of everything in it.

LW: What are some of the country music and rockabilly artists that inspired you to take that direction?

TS: I am into all different kinds of music and I guess it's just one of those things where my repertoire is a little bit country. I don't really have any one. Obviously when the Stray Cats came out that was pretty prime for them – I liked them a whole lot when they came out, I took my mom to see them in a strip bar. In fact, when I was a kid, it's funny because I had to get into the strip bar, but didn't have a way to get in unless my mom would go with me. So it worked out, that was the very first tour they did in the states.

LW: Since the last Bash & Pop record had a more alt-country feel, do you think we will hear material from that record?"

TS: Yeah, totally. I do songs from the Bash & Pop records, the solo records, and the Cowboys in the Campfire record – a little bit of all of it.

LW: What song do you like playing the most?

TS: I like playing "It's a Drag" a lot – it's a good one. That one or "Dream." It feels like people kind of take notice and kind of pause on that one a little bit.

LW: Any future projects on the horizon – maybe Bash & Pop or Cowboys?

TS: There's going to be a little more of everything coming up soon, actually. So stay tuned to your local network, whatever that might look like.

LW: I see you are playing the Harry Dean Stanton fest with the Mydolls, did you know him? How did you get onto that fest?"

TS: I don't know much about them (The Mydolls), in fact, but they wanted to do the Harry Dean Stanton fest and figured if they were up for it, we would do a few songs together.

LW: Did you ever get to meet Harry back in the day?

TS: Yeah, I did, when I moved to L.A. he played like every week at a place called Jack's Sugarshack. We would always go down there and check him out. It was a fun vibe. Never got to play with him, but hung out with him and drank some stuff.

LW: The Guns N' Roses album Chinese Democracy took over a decade to make. Were there any songs that you worked on that you liked that were never released?

TS: There are a few tracks that I wish had gotten released that were on that, but I don't remember their names because they all changed. But there's a handful of songs, more so, than we ever put out sitting in a pile somewhere. My hope would be that someday they would make another record, maybe use some of them, maybe not. But I hope they make another record one way or another.

https://www.eriereader.com/article/one-man-mutiny-an-interview-with-the-replacements-tommy-stinson
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 90738

Soulmonster likes this post

Back to top Go down