APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2023.12.28 - Clarín (Argentina) - Interview with Slash

Go down

2023.12.28 - Clarín (Argentina) - Interview with Slash Empty 2023.12.28 - Clarín (Argentina) - Interview with Slash

Post by Blackstar Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:07 pm

Original article in Spanish:

https://www.clarin.com/espectaculos/vuelve-slash-guns-nroses-heroe-guitarra-cuenta-rebeldia-rock-espiritu-antisistema_0_ZNiaFF5uYk.html

Auto-translation:
------------------------

Slash returns without Guns N' Roses: the guitar hero talks about rock rebellion and the anti-system spirit

- He comes in February with his project Slash and the Conspirators.
- He will play on the 9th at Movistar Arena and on the 11th at the Cosquín Rock festival.

Silent but not granting. Thus Slash, perhaps the most iconic guitar hero to emerge in the '90s, gave shape to a concept around him that today allows him to once again be part of the monstrous Guns N' Roses tours and at the same time continue traveling with his project. main parallel, Slash and the Conspirators, with singer Miles Kennedy.

With them he will perform on February 9 at the Movistar Arena in Villa Crespo, with tickets already on sale on the venue's website, and then they will do the same on February 11 at the Cosquín Rock festival in Cordoba.

They will come to present 4, their most recent album and it will be a great opportunity to listen to hits from their previous repertoire and even the most acclaimed Guns N'Roses classics, which in the hands of this band sound as good or sometimes better) than the originals.

A unique guitarist

Slash's image is worthy of an emoji and his playing style is easily recognizable. Because that amalgam of distortion loaded with mid frequencies, melodiously epic plucks that turn into ultra-fast sonic storms inspired by his most extreme influences, and a proven ductility when it comes to producing successful riffs elevate him in a space that few can share.

If we add to this that he built his fame alongside a mega star (starred from time to time) like Axl Rose, the merit is twofold: since 1985 Slash knew how to build - based on his particular talent, but also on a singular way of being - a real demigod place in the midst of a whirlwind of energies that could have turned many upside down. Let us remember that Guns N' Roses was for a long time named “the most dangerous band in the world.”

Now, 38 years after the water began to flow violently under the bridge, here is the man in the galley and the curlers that function as a mask.

From Los Angeles, a city that also took shape in the imagination of millions thanks to his songs, he appears in a virtual meeting with the name that his mother gave him in London almost six decades ago: Saul Hudson.

The meeting is closely followed by several executives from his record company who warned Clarín that no questions about Guns N' Roses should be asked. A tense atmosphere was anticipated that already with the first “Hello, Adriano!” of very good nature and natural friendliness, was left without justification.

-You have been here many, many times. What does it mean for you to come to Argentina?

-Argentina is one of my favorite places to visit and play in the whole world. It means a lot to me. The fans are great and I have very good friends there. People I work with at Gibson ( NdeR: their historic guitar sponsor) are from Argentina. I have great stories, memories and experiences there.

-When was the first time you felt connected to the Latin American vibe?

-That happened almost immediately. In the early nineties, the first time Guns N Roses went to South America, we were accepted with generosity and enthusiasm on a level we had never experienced. So we made that connection with people instantly, because they were so willing to give it their all and we're the kind of band that thrives on that energy.

I, as a guitarist at least, feel it clearly and that is an integral part of how my performance will be when connecting with people like this. The second you step on stage, the audience in Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay or wherever shows that enthusiasm that you immediately want to reciprocate. We connected well from the beginning.

-With “4”, the latest album by Slash & The Conspirators, the band confirmed what can be expected from it: catchy rock songs, huge melodies and guitar solos. Is your project in which you are looking for a very direct sound identity?

-The Conspirators thing was something that was always fun to do, I play with a group of great musicians where they all have in some way the same objective, which is basically to make simple, direct and good rock'n'roll. But at the same time I think that not everything is completely simple or direct, but we do do things so that they are fun, without many twists and turns.

It's a great outlet for me, and most importantly, I really enjoy working with Miles, Brent, Todd, and Frank; we get along really good. The experience of making records and touring together is a big part of the idea.

-And there is Miles Kennedy, who is a splendid singer.

-He's great! We played together a couple of days ago. Miles is amazing on stage, he's really easy to work with.

-Your style of playing has survived many fads and non-hard rock artists ask you to collaborate with them. When did you realize you had a signature sound?

-Do you know that the only times I really thought about that was when people tell me that they identified my sound in a song after a few notes, which makes me feel very flattered. But beyond this, I think that as a musician it is very It is important to have your personality defined, because there are thousands of phenomenal guitarists. So, to stand out the only thing you can do is have your own personality.

-Is there any emotion that runs through all your guitar solos?

-When I compose a solo it is for a specific song, so it is difficult for the feeling to be repeated. But what is necessary is to have a feeling for it! (laughs). You have to find that; It's what's really important.

-You are one of the most iconic guitarists in rock. What other guitarists of your same generation do you like or admire?

-There are many. Speaking of my generation, those who came out in the late '80s and early '90s, I can be very specific, because it was a time of great guitarists.

I'm thinking of super-fast virtuosos, although I'm not one of them, but there are a couple I really admire. Yngwie Malmsteen is one of them. I was in Los Angeles when people started talking about him. When I finally got to see it he couldn't believe it, wow! (laughs) Whether you like his music or not, his style is very identifiable. He is a virtuoso and unique guitarist, and there is no one like him.

Then, Paul Gilbert is from another planet, because his technique and skill are phenomenal. Every time I play a record of his, his jaw drops.

-Who else?

-Joe Satriani is another giant; He has great ideas. Obviously Zakk Wylde, who is from my generation, is another phenomenon, as is Dimebag Darrell, although he arrived a little later. But these are all virtuosos, not rock guitarists... this guy Mark Ford is very good, he collaborated with the Black Crowes.

-And what does rock mean to you?

-It's difficult to express that in words. You know, rock for me was always about attitude, a lot of freedom and individuality. Also a lot of rebellion. I dare say, it is a kind of anti-establishment spirit. And it's also always been about energy and volume and fun and stuff. I think it has more to do with what is inherent in your way of being than with what you think it means to you.

Rock n' roll, they are two words that go together, but they mean much more; It's hard to be specific.

-Slash and the Conspirators' last album came out almost two years ago. What expectations do you have for 2024 and what projects are you thinking about?

-I am very happy with the idea of ​​extending this tour, since initially we only did it in the US. I think that was early last year. So I'm really looking forward to doing this tour. And then now that COVID is over and done as much damage as possible, we can try to get back into a regular pattern of recording and touring.

So at some point next year I'd like to get into the studio and start recording the next record and then figure out when that tour is going to happen. And then I have a record that I made recently that focuses mainly on blues, some old school rock and R&B. And that will come out after the tour with the Conspirators. I'm looking forward to that as there will be a tour to support it as well. So those are really the most immediate things happening right now.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87827

Back to top Go down