APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2016.07.31 - Mercedes-Benz Superdome, New Orleans, LA, USA

3 posters

Go down

2016.07.31 - Mercedes-Benz Superdome, New Orleans, LA, USA Empty 2016.07.31 - Mercedes-Benz Superdome, New Orleans, LA, USA

Post by Soulmonster Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:43 am

2016.07.31 - Mercedes-Benz Superdome, New Orleans, LA, USA NeWborder_zpsk3uwcgt1

July 31, 2016
Mercedes-Benz Superdome, New Orleans, LA, USA
Setlist:
01. It's So Easy
02. Mr. Brownstone
03. Chinese Democracy
04. Welcome to the Jungle
05. Double Talkin' Jive
06. Estranged
07. Live and Let Die
08. Rocket Queen
09. You Could Be Mine
10. New Rose (w/ You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory intro)
11. This I Love
12. Civil War
13. Coma
Godfather theme (Slash's solo)
14. Sweet Child O' Mine
15. Better
16. Out Ta Get Me
Wish You Were Here jam
17. November Rain
18. Knockin' One Heaven's Door
19. Nightrain
ENCORE:
20. Don't Cry
21. The Seeker
22. Paradise City

Date:
July 31, 2016.

Venue:
Mercedes-Benz Superdome.

Line-up:
Axl Rose: Vocals and piano
Slash: Lead and rhythm guitar, and backing vocals
Richard Fortus: Rhythm and lead guitar, and backing vocals
Duff Mckagan: Bass and backing vocals
Dizzy Reed: Piano and backing vocals
Frank Ferrer: Drums
Melissa Reese: Keyboard and backing vocals

Poster:
(Artist: Pat Halloran)

Last edited by Soulmonster on Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76773

Back to top Go down

2016.07.31 - Mercedes-Benz Superdome, New Orleans, LA, USA Empty Re: 2016.07.31 - Mercedes-Benz Superdome, New Orleans, LA, USA

Post by Uli Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:56 am

Uli
Uli

Plectra : 9484

Back to top Go down

2016.07.31 - Mercedes-Benz Superdome, New Orleans, LA, USA Empty Re: 2016.07.31 - Mercedes-Benz Superdome, New Orleans, LA, USA

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:34 pm

Seems like they have settled on a setlist now that works. Identical to last gig only with New Rose instead of Attitude.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:05 pm

Review in The Times-Piqayune:

Doug MacCash wrote:Guns N' Roses reunion recaptures lightning in New Orleans Superdome

Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose demonstrated to thousands of his New Orleans fans in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome Sunday (July 31) that he has indeed not aged out of the arena rock business.

The 54-year-old's signature high-register heavy metal singing voice seemed perfectly intact. He was able to skip gracefully across the huge stage and juggle a microphone stand with aplomb. He also delivered conspiratorial sideward glances to the audience that implied that youthful mischief still burned within.

Likewise, Guns N' Roses original guitarist Slash, 51, treated the audience to impeccable guitar riffing Sunday, from flurries of impossibly crisp and compact notes to roaring rhythm parts, to supple bent-string soaring. Slash made it clear he remains among the very best of pop music's killer axmen.

The 2016 reunion lineup of Rose and Slash, plus original bassist Duff McKagen (backed by a solid ensemble of newer band members) proved itself to be a rock powerhouse, despite the passage of 30 years since spotlights first fell on the Los Angeles-based band in the Ronald Reagan era.

Crowd favorites "Mr. Brownstone," "Civil War, ""Welcome to the Jungle," "Knockin' on Heaven's Door," Slash's amazing instrumental "Speak Softly Love (the theme from "The Godfather"), and "Sweet Child of Mine," were among the 23 songs the band performed during the 2 1/2-hour show. It's hard to imagine that anyone left unsatisfied.

he last time Rose, Slash and McKagen played the Dome was in 1992, almost a quarter century ago, when they split the bill with Metallica. Back then, Guns N' Roses had a reputation for rock n' roll excess of the highest order, fraternal squabbling, spectacular lead singer tantrums, late starts and occasional scuttled concerts. During that show, Rose is said to have criticized the New Orleans audience for insufficient enthusiasm.

Read the comments in the story below.

Some things have certainly changed.

Guns N' Roses hit the stage almost exactly at the promised 9:30 p.m. start time Sunday, just 30 minutes after the opening act The Cult finished. Rose and company took their final bow precisely at 12:01, with no gaps or lapses in the show.

This, despite the complexity of the operation. According to a story on the Biloxi SunHerald website by Jeff Clark, the tour caravan consists of 20 equipment trucks and 15 busses carrying the 125-person crew.

And there was certainly no audience scolding from Mr. Rose. One of the singer's few comments, in fact, had to do with the Dome's extraordinary air conditioning.

"It's a nice break from the heat in here, don't you think," he said.

As a prefix to the song "Nightrain," Rose, sang the "I'm a train they call the City of New Orleans," to predictable cheers from the crowd.

Though most agree the Guns N' Roses/ Metallica concert in 1992 drew a huge crowd, the exact figure hasn't come to light. Sunday's crowd at the dome was impressive. The entire floor of the mega-arena was carpeted with fans, and the two tiers above the floor were mostly filled as well. We'll be on the lookout for an attendance figure for the July 31 show.

Indoor fireworks erupted and a blizzard of confetti descended as the last churning notes of the final encore "Paradise City," rang. Shoulder to shoulder, the crowd then filed into the hot night, discussing the recapturing of lightening they'd witnessed.

Guns N' Roses fan Jordan Guidry was born in 1993, just a year after the 1992 Guns N' Roses Dome concert. She and her mom Sonya had driven to New Orleans from Gonzales Louisiana to catch Sunday's show. Jordan said it was worth the drive to see the beloved band live.

"They definitely still have it," she said.

Were you part of the crowd? Do you agree with this view? Or do you have one of your own? Please don't keep your opinion to yourself.
Source: http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/2016/08/guns_n_roses_new_orleans_conce.html

Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:13 pm

Review in Offbeat Magazine:

Frank Etheridge wrote:Review: Guns N’ Roses Bring Top Notch Nostalgia, Jams to the Superdome

What is it about wearing black and raging a rock show that kicks so much ass?

To the frenzied delight of an army of black-clad fans chomping at the bit for this very night—some all their life, some before they were born—a reunited, reassembled and reinvigorated Guns N’ Roses served up an ass-kicking time at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome Sunday night with a two-and-a-half hour assault that shattered even the loftiest of expectations.

Employing a variety of opening acts from their ongoing “Not in This Lifetime Tour,” fellow ‘80s-spawned Los Angeles hard-hitters the Cult warmed up a cavernous, black-lit Dome on the power of guitar-build swells serving as a powerful undercurrent to the halting vocal prowess of frontman Ian Astbury. Banging his hip with a tambourine and belting out lyrical booms, Astbury peppered his audience with, “Are you ready for a rock n’ roll show?” He succeeded in raising the energy high over the course of an hour set complete with an obligatory, but most vigorous and alive, rendition of “Fire Woman,” in which he oozed the “smokestack lightning” line full of heavy-metal glamor.

Dudes from my hometown in Georgia would drag race from the high-school parking lot—Camaro tires squealing—to the mall to buy the new Guns N’ Roses album. Such is the primal power this band holds. So anticipating an opening song—“It’s gotta be ‘Paradise City,’ just gotta be”—in banter with the crowd around you turns a bit sour when you learn the setlist has been the same for every show this tour, and that “Paradise City would, in fact, close the night. Bummer. The good-natured, well-muscled bro next to me, taking a break from sucking face with his much-stilettoed date, added that they’ll play 24 songs and that “Welcome to the Jungle” would be fourth.

Ignorance is bliss as far as setlists go, so Duff McKagan thumping the bass riff that kicks off “It’s So Easy”—it’s lyrics of “I see your sister in her Sunday dress” and “I drink and drive, everything’s in sight” the perfect kick in the pants rock needed in 1987 when Appetite for Destruction dropped—ushered in a hair-raising, head-banging thrill that never subdued over the course of a show. It’s the stuff of rock n’ roll fantasy.

“Isn’t this a nice little break from the heat?” Axl Rose joked with the crowd before “Welcome to the Jungle.” With a genuine grin, the controversy-prone singer showed that his mood was positive, past inter-band turmoil, concerts-turned-riots and Tommy Hilfiger sucker-punches be damned.

Despite the considerable star power Axl still packs, the real rock monster this beloved band unleashed upon the Earth is Saul Hudson. Slash, y’all. The cat in the black hat ripping the wild, wailing solo in the middle of “Rocket Queen,” his eyes behind reflector Aviator shades, and his expression that of master of his craft. In flourishes between the scripted set list, Slash expertly slid in solo takes on Eric Clapton/Duane Allman’s “Layla,” Pink Floyd’s “Wish You Were Here” and, perhaps a nod to New Orleans, Jimi Hendrix’s “Voodoo Child.” After some goofy pyrotechnics exploded about the stage, the latter jam ushered in “Civil War.” As Duff and Slash shared a moment jamming back-to-back at the same mic during Axl’s refrain–“I don’t need your civil war”–the lyrics pointed to the way this gloriously dysfunctional band has buried its many bad hatchets.

Axl, donning an absurd white coat but still bare-chested and badass, sat at the piano and sipped from a red Solo cup before delivering the eloquent intro to “November Rain.” Slash, using a variety of guitars all night, broke out the double-neck 12-string for the epic “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” that followed, complete with an out-of-nowhere reggae splash in the breakdown that shows how tight and talented this band truly is. Switching to his sweet vocal range, Axl echoed Arlo Guthrie’s classic 1972 lyric, “I’m the train they call the City of New Orleans,” before a blistering “Night Train” that closed the set.

A brief encore break led to an instrumental warm up to man-ballad gold-standard “Don’t Cry,” before a blistering cover of the Who’s “The Seeker.” Finally, Slash’s signature lick brought us all back to “Paradise City,” with his minor-chord frenzy building to Axl’s “So far away…,”a final testament to this rock band’s prowess and, as it was a pleasure to learn last night, staying power.
Source: https://www.offbeat.com/news/review-guns-n-roses-bring-top-notch-nostalgia-jams-superdome/
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Thu May 25, 2023 3:03 pm

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 88097

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Thu May 25, 2023 3:07 pm

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Thu May 25, 2023 3:13 pm

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu May 09, 2024 8:20 am

While in New Orleans, Duff would meet a father and his daughter who had attended a string of shows:

The crowds that came, man, I met some really cool fans that made me realize - we all think, like, you get in an elevator or something, like, you're the most interesting person in that elevator, 'I'm the most interesting motherfucker in this room.' And just when you start thinking you're the most interesting motherfucker in the room, it's that guy who's got his little girl out in front, they've come to seven straight shows, why is that? And they cry during 'Sweet Child O' Mine' - just a guy and his little girl. They are standing in the same place, I'm a sucker for kids in the front row, they'll get everything I have: wristbands, picks... especially little girls because I have two of those. I was in New Orleans one day with my wife, we were doing a nerdy fucking thing, we were gonna go on the stage, do the tour of the city, and we saw the guy and his daughter, and she had nine of my wristbands all the way up her arm and she's nine years old. And the dad, I'm, like, 'I've seen you guys at the last seven shows at the same place, what goes on with that?'. Not to bring it down again, but he said, 'Her mom died,' and I didn't know how to deal with it, so we just started going through what was their favorite song. For them, as a family, it was 'Sweet Child of Mine,' and I saw them crying. I guess when you think you're the most interesting person in the room, you meet people who come to your shows, and their stories are so deep, sometimes beautiful, sometimes heavy like that.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down