APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

38. MAY 2017-JULY 2018: MORE TOURING AND THE RELEASE OF APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION: LOCKED N' LOADED

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

38. MAY 2017-JULY 2018: MORE TOURING AND THE RELEASE OF APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION: LOCKED N' LOADED Empty 38. MAY 2017-JULY 2018: MORE TOURING AND THE RELEASE OF APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION: LOCKED N' LOADED

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:30 am

CHAPTER INDEX

- MAY 13 AND JULY 28, 2017: AXL PERFORMS WITH BILLY JOEL
- MAY 20, 2017: SLASH PERFORMS AT LA ZOO'S 50TH ANNIVERSARY "BEASTLY BALL"
- 2016-TODAY: DUFF'S PERSONAL LIFE AND SIDE PROJECTS AFTER REJOINING GUNS N' ROSES
- MAY 27, 2017: THE 2017 EUROPEAN TOUR STARTS WITH A RETURN TO SLANE CASTLE
- 2016-TODAY: THE BAND MEMBERS TALK ABOUT THE CHEMISTRY IN THE BAND
- MAY 30-JUNE 20, 2017: THE 2017 EUROPEAN TOUR CONTINUES
- "CRACKING JOKES" - AXL AND HIS SENSE OF HUMOR
- MELISSA'S ROLE IN GUNS N' ROSES
- JUNE 21, 2017: GUNS N' ROSES TO BROADCAST LIVE SHOW AT THE APOLLO THEATER
- JUNE 22-JULY 1, 2017: THE 2017 EUROPEAN TOUR CONTINUES
- AXL, SLASH AND DUFF SEE NO NEED TO TALK TO THE PRESS
- JULY 4-15, 2017: THE 2017 EUROPEAN TOUR ENDS
- DUFF AND SLASH'S SECURITY DETAIL
- JULY 20, 2017: THE BAND CELEBRATES THE ANNIVERSARY OF APPETITE BY PLAYING A STREAMED SHOW AT THE APOLLO
- JULY 21, 2017-MAY 2018: BUILDUP TO APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION'S 30TH ANNIVERSARY
- JULY 27, 2017: A RETURN TO ST. LOUIS
- 2012-2018: DUFF AND THE WALKING PAPERS
- JULY 30-AUGUST 8, 2017: THE 2017 NORTH AMERICAN TOUR CONTINUES
- AXL, SLASH AND DUFF TALK ABOUT THE SUCCESSFUL REUNION
- AUGUST 15, 2017: SLASH BECOMES GIBSON'S FIRST GLOBAL BRAND AMBASSADOR
- AUGUST 11-19, 2017: THE 2017 NORTH AMERICAN TOUR CONTINUES
- REACTIONS TO BOOTLEGS AND RECORDING SHOWS
- AUGUST 21-SEPTEMBER 8, 2017: THE 2017 NORTH AMERICAN TOUR ENDS
- THE "REUNION" BAND MEMBERS TALKING ABOUT EACH OTHER
- SEPTEMBER 23-OCTOBER 1, 2017: THE 2017 SOUTH AMERICAN TOUR
- 2016-TODAY: SLASH'S PERSONAL LIFE AFTER REJOINING GUNS N' ROSES
- OCTOBER 8-23, 2017: THE SECOND 2017 NORTH AMERICAN TOUR BEGINS
- TEAM BRAZIL VERSUS THE FANS
- OCTOBER 26-NOVEMBER 10, 2017: THE NORTH AMERICAN TOUR CONTINUES
- NOVEMBER 13-29, 2017: THE SECOND 2017 NORTH AMERICAN TOUR ENDS
- THE NOT IN THIS LIFETIME TOUR IS ANNOUNCED TO CONTINUE IN 2018 AND BEYOND
- FEBRUARY 16, 2018: DIZZY RELEASES ROCK 'N ROLL AIN'T EASY
- MAY 4, 2018: A REMASTERED APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION IS ANNOUNCED
- MAY 4, 2018: SHADOW OF YOUR LOVE IS RELEASED AS A SINGLE TO PROMOTE THE RE-RELEASE OF APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION
- MAY 4, 2018: A MUSIC VIDEO FOR IT'S SO EASY IS RELEASED, AGAIN
- JUNE 3, 2018: THE 2018 EUROPEAN SUMMER TOUR KICKS OFF IN BERLIN WITH SLITHER
- JUNE 6-12, 2018: THE 2018 EUROPEAN SUMMER TOUR CONTINUES
- A FUTURE REUNION OF THE APPETITE LINEUP?
- JUNE 14, 2018: AXL, SLASH AND DUFF PLAY WITH THE FOO FIGHTERS
- JUNE 15-29, 2018: THE 2018 EUROPEAN SUMMER TOUR CONTINUES
- JUNE 29, 2018: APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION: LOCKED N' LOADED IS RELEASED
- JUNE 2018: LEAKS: SILKWORMS, OH MY GOD, REMIXES, DJS INSTRUMENTALS, 2001 VERSIONS
- JULY, 2018: THE NOVEMBER RAIN VIDEO SURPASSES 1 BILLION VIEWS ON YOUTUBE
- JULY 1-24, 2018: THE 2018 EUROPEAN SUMMER TOUR ENDS

Last edited by Soulmonster on Tue May 07, 2024 1:07 pm; edited 11 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76731

Back to top Go down

38. MAY 2017-JULY 2018: MORE TOURING AND THE RELEASE OF APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION: LOCKED N' LOADED Empty Re: 38. MAY 2017-JULY 2018: MORE TOURING AND THE RELEASE OF APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION: LOCKED N' LOADED

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:31 am

MAY 13 AND JULY 28, 2017
AXL PERFORMS WITH BILLY JOEL

On May 13, 2017, Axl would join Billy Joel while he was doing a show at Dodger Stadium to sing on a pair of songs, a cover of AC/DC‘s Highway to Hell and Joel’s own Big Shot [Rolling Stone, May 14, 2017]. Axl would do the same on Joel's show on July 28 at Target Field in Minneapolis [Blabbermouth, July 30, 2017]. Joel has frequently performed Highway to Hell during his main set in recent years, often recruiting his roadie “Chainsaw” to sing lead vocals [Rolling Stone, May 14, 2017].

HUGE THANKS 2 Billy Joel, his band, crew n' Amazing Fans 4 having me b a part of their show!!🎉🔥💥💥😎😎😎
Twitter, May 15, 2017

Axl and Billy Joel
May 13, 2017
Axl and Billy Joel
July 28, 2017
Axl and Billy Joel
July 28, 2017
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

38. MAY 2017-JULY 2018: MORE TOURING AND THE RELEASE OF APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION: LOCKED N' LOADED Empty Re: 38. MAY 2017-JULY 2018: MORE TOURING AND THE RELEASE OF APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION: LOCKED N' LOADED

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:32 am

MAY 20, 2017
SLASH PERFORMS AT LA ZOO'S 50TH ANNIVERSARY "BEASTLY BALL"

In April it was announced that "Slash & Friends" would perform at The Greater Los Angeles Zoo Association's (GLAZA) annual Beastly Ball, which was to commemorate Los Angeles Zoo's 50th anniversary [Press Release/Blabbermouth, April 6, 2017]. "Noted wildlife advocate Slash" would be backed by Jimmy Vivino and The Basic Cable Band and perform a mix of blues and R&B, joined by Jack Black, Grace Potter and Bernard Fowler [Press Release/Blabbermouth, April 6, 2017]. Slash and Black would perform Welcome To The Jungle together [Blabbermouth, May 21, 2017].

I'm honored and proud to be a part of the L.A. Zoo's 50th-anniversary Beastly Ball. It's going to be the biggest yet, and I'm really looking forward to jamming live with some good friends.

Poster for the event
Jack Black and Slash, May 20, 2017

Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

2016-TODAY
DUFF'S PERSONAL LIFE AND SIDE PROJECTS AFTER REJOINING GUNS N' ROSES

In April 2017, Duff listed his Sherman Oaks home in Los Angeles for sale for $3.85 million [Wall Street Journal, April 27, 2017]. The house was purchased by Duff in 2005 [Wall Street Journal, April 27, 2017]. His intention was to spend more time at his house in Seattle, although he had another Los Angeles property he intended to keep [Wall Street Journal, April 27, 2017]. In June it was reported that the house had been sold for $3.785 million [Los Angeles Times, June 6, 2017].

SIDE PROJECTS

In October 2017, Duff would guest on the songs Monkey and Hats Off from The Professionals new album What In The World [Press Release/Blabbermouth, October 3, 2017].
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

MAY 27, 2017
THE 2017 EUROPEAN TOUR STARTS WITH A RETURN TO SLANE CASTLE

Before the start of the 2017 European tour leg, Richard would talk about how much better they were getting as the tour went on:

But now it's killer. It just gets better every show.

This tour has exceeded anything that I’ve previously been a part of. The band is tighter than it’s ever been and everyone is extremely focused and at the top of their game. It’s been an honour to be a part of it and something that I will always be very proud of. [...]  I don’t think this band has ever sounded better than it does right now. Axl has never sounded better and we’re tighter and more focused than ever.

And the challenge for Axl and Slash in just being tourists:

Yeah, yeah, we all travel together and I guess for me, you're always looking for things to do, you know, I think it's harder for Slash and Duff, or sorry, Slash and Axl, to go out and enjoy a city, you know. [...] I mean, Slash always looks like Slash, Duff can throw a baseball cap on and personality-wise he just has a great way of assimilating and not sticking out. I think it is harder for Slash, Slash is just such an iconic image, you know. And the same with Axl, and for different reasons. I don't know, it would be tough I think to have that and to not be able to go out and really enjoy a city. But generally Duff and I will hang out, will go out, look for stuff to see and do. You're always looking for ways to occupy your time and to get to know a city. I run every day so for me that's a great way to get to see things that you normally don't get to see.

Richard would also talk how the band continued to rehearse to always get better when asked if they would never need to rehearse Sweet Child O' Mine again as soon as they were able to play it perfectly:

[...] it's constantly evolving, I mean, because you're always searching for something better, you know. [...] if I was just trying to recreate simply what was on the record it wouldn't be a constant search, you know, it would just be sticking to one thing and making it the same every night. I think I'm always, and Slash's the same, we're always trying to make things better, we're always trying to make it bigger and work better together, separate our tones, separate them but somehow make them better for ourselves and more inspiring to play.

The first show of this leg took place on May 27 at Slane Castle in Slane, Ireland. This show happened just a few days after the Manchester Arena bombing at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England, and security was elevated:

We, like, we went and played Slane Castle in Dublin three days after the Ariana Grande thing in Manchester. And every place, all these places are on high alert. So we have a full security detail at the venue, we have advanced guys, and they're all, you know, ex-Seal team guys, all this stuff, and then they coordinate with the police and whoever else to make sure that the people coming to see us are safe. You know, we have a way out. I'm not worried about me, but you're worried about, you know, you're putting on a big show, you have a bunch of people coming to see you, there's a responsibility for that. And I think we feel it pretty greatly and pretty gravely sometimes. So that show, same promoter, the Manchester show was our promoter three days later in Slane. [...] It's 60 miles as the crow flies from Manchester to Dublin. Pretty close. Maybe too close for comfort. You're putting on this 85,000 people, you know. So there's all the way to the train stations and, you know, "See something, say something." All of that was.... And the security all throughout Europe was really great and they had, I think, they've had the crowd as safe as they could get it. Some places we played there was helicopters circling, you know, with a guy hanging out- [...] Look, that gets your attention as you're playing like, "Wow, there's a guy."

May 27
Arian Buhler

The famous owner of Slane Castle, Lord Henry Mountcharles, would miss the show due to hospitalization, and Axl, Duff and Slash sent him a 'get well' present:

Gift to Lord Mountcharles
From Duff, Axl and Slash

Slash; Slane Castle
May 27, 2017
Axl and Slash; Slane Castle
May 27, 2017
Duff and Slash; Slane Castle
May 27, 2017

Review by Eamon Sweeney in The Irish Independent on May 27:

Guns N' Roses at Slane review: They look and play so well it's like they never went away

After facing three security checks, 83,000 people patiently queued for beer and burgers in a slightly muddy but far from devastated Slane hill.

Despite the challenging conditions, the crowds flowed into the venue from the bus drop off in well under an hour.

The most recently formed acts to have headlined Slane in the last decade are Oasis and Eminem, which says it all in terms of the paucity of suitable bands to pull off Ireland's biggest show.

Securing a top name capable of selling out this iconic natural amphitheatre is not easy. There were no Slane concerts in 2010, 2012, 2014 or 2016.

Just like U2 and the Rolling Stones before them, Guns N' Roses have been round this Boyne side block before.

A quarter of a century since their first Slane appearance in 1992, core members Axl Rose, Slash and Duff McKagan have buried their respective hatchets.

This was until quite recently considered such an unlikely event the tour is named 'Not in This Lifetime', which echoes the Eagles' 'Hell Freezes Over' global jaunt, referring to how Don Henley responded to a query on whether his estranged band would ever reform.

In 1992, good humoured fans built human pyramids while waiting for Guns N' Roses to take to the stage. Axl Rose was renowned for a lack of punctuality, which also surfaced at a concert in the 3Arena in 2010. In 2017, everything runs like clockwork, despite the inclement weather earlier in the day.

After raucous performances from Irish noiseniks Otherkin, Brighton duo Royal Blood and American cult hero Mark Lanegan, Guns N' Roses preface their set with the cartoon theme tune to 'Looney Tunes' and the Harry Gregson-Williams song 'The Equalizer'.

They blast out of the traps with 'It's So Easy' from 'Appetite for Destruction'; an expletive strewn rock song about when they had no money, but an army of hangers on.

Now, they're on roughly $5.5 million per show. Their music might be big, bloated and debauched alpha male cock-rock, but it's undeniably effective and entertaining.

The sight of Axl Rose and Slash performing side by side is powerful and reaffirming. One of the most iconic singer and guitarist pairings in musical history are finally back in the ring.

Alongside McKagan, they look and play so well it's like they never went away.

They perform a stunning version of 'Black Hole Sun' in tribute to the late Chris Cornell. Like the sadly departed Cornell, Rose has one of the most raw voices in rock history.

For Guns N'Roses and their massive Irish audience, the last twenty five years went by in the blink of the eye.

Looking back at the massive show and having to be flown in by helicopter:

What was the castle in ... Slane Castle, doing that festival, which I'd done previously with Thin Lizzy. I don't remember if I had done it with Guns or not, but flying in, in the helicopter to that and seeing this sea of people was really overwhelming. It was so big, and I think we set attendance records, but there's a massive hill and then it goes down on the other side. And there were people on the other side of the hill that couldn't see the stage, but they had these giant video screens set up, which is just so bizarre to me. [...] No, no, [the helicopter landed] backstage, because there's such a big ... I mean it's a traffic jam for miles and miles and miles, so it's just... There's no way to get in. [...] But it's pretty incredible to see that many people, and then to know that there are people over the range that you can't see when you're on stage.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Thu May 09, 2024 7:04 am; edited 2 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:33 am

2016-TODAY
THE BAND MEMBERS TALK ABOUT THE CHEMISTRY IN THE BAND

Richard and Frank would praise the new lineup and the shows in 2016-2018:

And it's been amazing, it's been so great. It's been really fantastic. It's beyond my wildest dreams. I never thought it would be as crazy as it's been as far as the the reception, you know, the fans, it's been really overwhelming [?]. And it's such an honor to be a part of this, you know, to be...[...] within the band it's great, it's better than it's ever been since I've been in the band. And some of my best friends have been in this band, you know. Tommy and Dizzy and Robin, you know, those are really close friends of mine. But now the vibe is better than ever, you know, everybody gets along great.

Now, I mean, really the focus of my life for the last year and a half has been GN'R, which is pretty exciting, really, you know, of all the different incarnations this one is really the most inspirational to me and the most healthy.[...]  There's a sense of freedom and exploration, really, with Axl, when working with Axl where he, and now really much more, with Duff and Slash. They really strive to do something better and different and keeping things fresh. It's really a concerted effort. And that is really appealing to me.

Slash and Duff have the same approach that I do. You play for the song, first and foremost. It’s not about it being some type of masturbatory showcase for your abilities; it’s about working together as a band. Supporting wherever the focus needs to be, not simply waiting for your turn to wank. [...] They care more than most and work even harder. It’s been an incredible honour and learning experience to work with all three of them.

Man, tell me about, that's the beauty of Guns N' Roses. I mean, that's why that band for me is so much fun to play with and it's so different than when you're in a situation where you're playing the same songs in the exact same way every night. And that's so much of what music has become. And that sad. But, you know, then there's bands that don't do it that way, there's bands like, you know, The Flaming Lips or bands like Tame Impala, you know, where they are trying to keep that going, you know. In Guns N' Roses there are those moments that are open-ended questions, that are open-ended conversations, and then there are the things that are the same every night, you know, but those moments somehow open it up and make it... I don't know, it affects the entire night. [...] in a way that even the parts that are exactly the same are still more... we're in tune with each other as far as supporting each other and who is taking the focus or who's directing the conversation at that point, you know what I mean? I think we're more supportive because we're all listening. And we're tuned in.... man, I've done so many tours where, you know, you're playing to tracks and it's not really a conversation, no-one's really necessarily listening to each other, we're listening to what they need to hear, to be tight with what's going on.

It is beyond my wildest expectations, just because we relate as people and musicians. I mean, it's like a dream band and not because of their history but because of who they are as musicians.

GNR is on another level. Axl, Slash, Dizzy and Duff have raised the stakes. This thing right now is a juggernaut. I'm so glad to be a part of this. So glad that the main guys are together enjoying themselves. Melissa Reese, Richard Fortus and I have worked really hard in fitting in and making them feel comfortable musically.

Richard would mention how Slash was on rehearsals and improving:

[Slash]'s intense when it comes to music. He loves to play and he wants it to be perfect. And when I say "perfect", he wants the band to be at our best and he will rest at nothing till he feels that we're doing our best, we're in our best place and able to put our best foot forward. So he wants to be as well rehearsed as possible, and I agree with that. When you step on stage the chance of him having to actually think about anything like that is gone, and then you're faced with all your other set of issues that occur during a live show. But the music is second nature as possible.

When asked if he took the same approach to rehearsing, Richard responded:

No, he's much more thorough than I am. He loves to rehearse, he loves to spend... we spend a lot of time rehearsing with this band, more than we ever did before he was back in the band, and you know, it's hard to fault anybody that want it to be as good as possible, you know, and I'm all for that. And it definitely works, I mean, I think this band has never sounded better than it does right now.

Slash, on his side, would focus on how it was a mix of the old and the new:

It’s indescribable to explain these shows. I’m looking over and seeing Axl, Duff and Dizzy whom I’ve known forever, but it also feels like an entirely new experience with Richard, Frank and Melissa. It’s like being in a new band, except there’s a chemistry that is established from days of old, so it’s a natural thing that’s always been there.

And also talk about the professionality of the band:

The Guns N' Roses lineup that we've been doing this last couple of years with… It's sort of amazing, because of Guns N' Roses' history, but suddenly, it's this really, really well-oiled machine that's super functional. So the one thing you don't have to worry about is… It's like I walk into a room with me and the band and [we are about] to get to work, everybody is fucking ready to go. So that's a blessing, because when it's disorganized or not everybody is together, it makes it impossible to do this much work. So I don't have that issue to deal with, which is cool. And they don't have to deal with it with me either. [Laughs]

In July 2018, Axl would talk about how everyone does their best to make the shows great:

Everyone just wants to do their best for the fans, each other and our crew. Everyone pushes each other with their performance and commitment. And with highlights, every show, every crowd is different with something to remember about each one.

And later Melissa would praise the good vibes:

We’re like a family. We have fun together and talk shit. Lots of crew people and friends visit my dressing room cause that’s where the candy is. The shows are really long and we need the energy. [...] I think it was a lot crazier before (laughs). You know, band members being rock stars. But for me, it’s a different story. It’s just like a traveling family. We like watching Netflix and HBO. Right now we like watching Westworld, Better Call Saul, and Peaky Blinders.

And Slash would say that everybody's great:

They’re great. Frank’s great, Richard is great... [...] They’re all... yeah, Dizzy’s great. So all in all it was just a great bunch of people, getting really excited about doing what we’re doing and going out there and playing in front of a bunch of people who were glad we were doing it.

Richard would highlight how they responded to each other during the shows:

What I love about this band is that everybody listens to each other. And I suppose you have to when things are changing every night. You know, Axl listens, he'll wait, if you notice, he'll always wait for us to finish the phrase, you know, or finish what we're saying, you know, before he'll come back in. That's just so rare to find a group of people where everybody's paying attention and, you know, thinking about the bigger picture. Like when Slash is soloing it's like, "Okay, how can we..." We're always listening to what he's doing, you know, if he's crescendoing we're all trying to crescendo, you know, and then we can bring it back [?]. Yeah, it's really inspiring.

And Axl would talk about their commitment to the audiences:

We all want to do the best we can for the fans – they come wanting a big performance and that is what we want to give them. We all push each other to go further in terms of our performance and commitment. It doesn’t matter how many performances you do, every crowd is different and you feed off that.

And Slash would explain why some of the songs had been sped up:

I think it was just high energy, because now things have started to settle down a little bit more. I felt like there was a lot of energy from those, you know, from Coachella through the first U.S. tour that we did, where everything was very sort of uptempo and just sort of manic. And I think that was just from a collective high energy from where we were at that time. It wasn’t intentional, the speed. Unless it was — I’m trying to think. There might have been a couple songs, you know, because I like to speed everything up anyway, you know.

And almost colliding with Axl:

You have to watch out for the other guys when you’re on a smaller stage. There have been a lot of really, really close calls, almost trainwrecks, between me and Axl but I don’t think we have seriously collided in 30-odd years. I think you would be amazed by how we can jump out of each other’s way at the last second.

Duff would mention how Slash could get lost in his solos:

And watching Slash play guitar all day long, and then lose himself when we play the shows. Sometimes he's just gone. When he's [doing] his solo, I have to sometimes actually tap him on the foot, like, 'Dude, come back into the song.' 'Oh, what? Okay.'

Duff would discuss how the band still had the same attitude as in the beginning:

It's calm, but when it hits that stage it's that old thing of what we started with, which is we don't f**k around. We do not f**k around when we play live. It's real, it's dangerous and it's sweaty and all of those things. We're trying to be the best band we can be and that's what we always tried to be.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Sun May 12, 2024 7:29 am; edited 11 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:33 am

MAY 30-JUNE 20, 2017
THE 2017 EUROPEAN TOUR CONTINUES

The next shows of this leg of the tour took place at San Mamés in Bilbao, Spain (May 30), at Passeio Marítimo de Algés in Oeiras, Portugal (June 2) and at Estadio Vicente Calderón in Madrid, Spain (June 4).

May 30
Arian Buhler
June 2
Arian Buhler
June 4
Arian Buhler

Slash; Bilboa
May 30, 2017
Dizzy; Oeiras
June 2, 2017
Frank and Slash; Madrid
June 4, 2017

The next shows took place at Letzigrund Stadion in Zurich, Switzerland (June 7), at Autodromo Internazionale Enzo e Dino Ferrari in Imola, Italy (June 10), and at Olympiastadion in Munich, Germany (June 13).

In Zurich, Axl would dedicate Whole Lotta Rosie to his dog, Rosie, that passed away that day before the show.

When we play this song, nobody really knows that ... when I'm singing this song, I actually, in my head, I see this little dog of ours with me onstage, 'cause she's always so fucking happy. Before we came to the show today, she passed away. So we'll dedicate this to her. Kind of the whole show for me in mind has been for Rosie.
Letzigrund Stadion, Zurich, Switzerland, June 7, 2017

June 7
Arian Buhler
June 10
Arian Buhler
June 13
Arian Buhler

Duff; Zurich
June 7, 2017
Frank and Axl; Imola
June 10, 2017
Axl; Munchen
June 13, 2017

Next up were two shows at London Stadion in London, England, on June 16 and 17.

June 16
Arian Buhler
June 17
Arian Buhler

Axl; London
June 16, 2017
Richard; London
June 16, 2017
Slash; London
June 17, 2017

Review by Sophie Heawood of the June 16 show in London in The Guardian:

Guns N’ Roses review – comeback show takes us to Paradise City
5/5 stars

I wondered if it was silly. Me and a bunch of other fortysomethings going to see Guns N’ Roses, a band we loved in our youth when they seemed so wild and pulsating and decadently masculine. Those singalong-with-Jack-Daniel’s dudes, every song a paean to getting high or getting off – or both. British pop at the time was playing with gender and androgyny, but Guns N’ Roses were just pure, stupid testosterone. I wrote their lyrics on my bedroom wall and secretly loved and feared them for it.

If we were middle-aged now, though, what did that make the filthy rock bastards of pop? Old? And hadn’t they already done one comeback tour some years ago, when it was just a bloated Axl Rose and a bunch of hired hands turning up late and trying to recreate the magic because all the other members refused to have anything to do with him?

Would we still be entranced, now that we’ve read their memoirs and know what really went on back in the day, including the bit in Slash’s warts-and-all autobiography when he literally does have warts, on his penis, and he has to visit doctor after doctor to get them burned off because they bounce back more times than Boris Johnson?

Well, arriving at the stadium where the 2012 Olympics were held, the first things you notice are the band T-shirts. Everybody looks like a diehard fan, with about a quarter of the male and female crowd wearing the Guns N’ Roses tops they must have owned for 30 years, with old tour dates on the back. Except these T-shirts are suspiciously clean.

When I ask people, one man admits he works in the City and just bought his from the merchandise stand, before shoving his work shirt in his rucksack. Another two beefy blokes just bought theirs from the Primark across the road. “I got that one from Next,” says one woman, pointing at the T-shirt of the bloke ahead of her in the beer queue, “but they had a better one in Top Shop.”

If the clothes are new, the good news is that the band are old: Slash is back (I can’t speak for his genital warts), and bass player Duff McKagan too, both having made up with Rose. This is the first UK show of the band’s classic lineup in 24 years, and they all take to the stage like men who truly, ferociously mean business, going straight in with the hits.

Welcome to the Jungle begins and the crowd surges like a beast. Mr Brownstone, a druggy song that seemed more dangerous 25 years ago, seems strangely poignant now, with Rose singing its winding melody beautifully, perfectly. His face, which bears the agelessness of any Hollywood star who has reached a certain age and perhaps had some help, is as taut as a drum when he sings the highest notes, and you wonder if he might burst.

Then he puts on a top hat with a union jack on it and suddenly looks less Botox, more Brexit. He sings Live and Let Die with twice the bravado and swagger of Paul McCartney, and the thundering drums are so menacing that it’s a real moment for the crowd.

The lyrics to Civil War feel ripe for the political tensions of today, and Rose’s voice is soft like fur at the start, switching to a tightrope in a second. He’s truly in control; the master of range. We start to see more of Melissa Reese, the young woman who joined the band on keys and vocals in recent years, and who gets a mention from Rose as the camera lingers on her blue-and-white hair.

It dawns on me that what seemed overtly masculine in youth seems theatrically feminine in middle age: the camp mannerisms of a rocker grinding around the stage, the falsetto vocals, Slash’s fantastic black cloud of hair. The huge emotional neediness of everything. The passion. The love.

Sweet Child O’ Mine is so intense that thousands of us seem to simultaneously unite our former and current selves while singing along to it. We are all fully whole! I hug a total stranger! Then Night Train, when we all bellow “LOADED LIKE A FREIGHT TRAIN” at the top of our voices, in a hosanna of ecstatic nonsense. It is the most meaningless and also meaningful moment of the night.

By the time they play November Rain, night has fallen, and everyone’s got their lighters out – apart from the man beside me who’s using his bike light “because I gave up smoking 15 years ago”.

“Thank you,” says Rose, to his loving and loved London audience, “from the heart of my bottom.” You can’t blow the roof off a stadium that doesn’t have one, but they damn well tried.

After the second show in London, Axl hung out with Tom Jones and other celebrities at Chiltern Firehouse where they aired the boxing match between Andre Ward and Sergey Kovalev at 4:20 in the morning until city officials shut the place down at about 6am after having received noise complaints [The Sun, June 19, 2017].

The band then travelled to Poland for a show at the Stadion Energa in Gdańsk on June 20.

June 20
Arian Buhler

Richard and Duff in Gdansk
June 20, 2017
Dizzy in Gdansk
June 20, 2017
Fans in Gdansk
June 20, 2017

Last edited by Soulmonster on Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:34 am

"CRACKING JOKES" -
AXL AND HIS SENSE OF HUMOR

Axl's humor would be talked about by many people close to him:

He’s a really good guy, he’s funny as shit [...]

The Axl I know is a thoughtful, caring, fun person. He really is.

And he is the funniest guy; the guy is funny as s--- and always cracking jokes.

[...] probably one of the funniest guys I’ve ever met in my life. He’s constantly cracking jokes left and right; he’s really just a good-hearted person.

[...]  he was a lot of fun, he was full of stories, he did a lot of laughing [...].

The guy is hilarious. He just cracks me up. We're always sending each other the funniest jokes back and forth.

And he's really funny, that's something I don't think people realize. A lot of times he'll greet you with a joke, and it's a good joke, not something your grandpa would tell you.

The one thing people don’t realize about Axl is he is probably one of the funniest people I’ve ever met in my life. We’re constantly texting each other just the funniest shit. You’d never probably look at him and go, ‘Wow, he’s a funny guy,’ but he actually is.

[...] he’s pretty funny, man. A lot of times before we go onstage, he’ll tell us a joke he just heard or something that he read that was really funny, then it’s like, ‘OK, let’s go play.’

He’s always got some great jokes, man.

He’s one of the funniest guys I know. He’s constantly cracking jokes [...].

He's a very funny guy, good with quips [...].

One thing people don't seem to get is that he's genuinely funny and he's always joking around and telling stories to make people laugh. I always say that if he wasn't a musician he'd be a great comedian. I wish the world could see that side of him because it's the opposite of what people have branded in their brains.

We just had a band barbecue and Axl was telling jokes and being funny, which is different than anything you hear about him.

He's very fun and welcoming and a wonderful host when you're hanging out with him and just loves to see everybody enjoy themselves and makes everybody feels comfortable.

He’s one of the funniest people I know. Every night before we go on stage, he comes up and he’ll have a joke – and it’s usually a good one.

Also Sean Beavan would praise Axl and his humour:

He's also really funny. A great joke and story teller.
Sp1at, April 8, 2005

It was a blast working with Axl. He was a really funny guy. That’s probably the one thing that surprised me the most- just how funny the guy could be. When he’d come in to do vocals, he’d warm up for like forty-five minutes not by singing, but by telling jokes. He was just extremely funny and super nice.

He was the only singer I've ever worked with where he came in and in order to warm up, he'd do a 45-minute stand-up routine, hahaha. The dude is amazing. Any joke he hears, he remembers perfectly and he's got a great delivery. He would just get in the vocal booth and then just start killin' it with jokes.

- the 45 minute stand up sessions with Axl as he warmed up to sing. My sides would ache!
Sp1at, April 8, 2005

Axl would also frequently use the talkback system on stage to tell jokes to his bandmates during shows, often as they were playing solos:

[...] we've got talkback mic set up around the stage so all you do is you walk up to the microphone and you step on a button and it isolates so only the band can hear it. Which, you know, in the hands of Axl can be pretty difficult because he just tells jokes [laughs] while we play, which can be pretty distracting if you're, you know, playing a solo or something and he's telling a joke. So that's a bit of a challenge and that's generally what we're communicating about, we're actually usually telling jokes to each.

He's got a great sense of humor. A real ball-buster. Sometimes he'll tell jokes into our in-ear monitors while we're tryin' to take a solo, he's fucked me up a few times, haha...

Axl actually has a great sense of humour. He tells the corniest jokes. I’ll be in the midst of playing a solo, and he’ll crack jokes into my in-ear monitors.

On stage, he gives all he's got, and is always cracking jokes in the monitors trying to make me laugh & screw up my solos, often succeeding, LOL!

We have these little boxes on stage that you can just, we wear in-ears, right? So most of the time he's telling amazing jokes. [...] He crushes everybody in there. Like, you know, I fancy myself a humorist. But he, yeah, he crushes me.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:35 am

MELISSA'S ROLE IN GUNS N' ROSES

Describing her role in the band:

I don't want to get in the way of these songs. On the keys, I add sonic layers to thicken our sound, without sticking out like a sore thumb. Anything from synths [to] organic patches and samples.

Of course, we also have Melissa Reece playing on keyboards. She has an incredible energy and is very musical. Her backing vocals add so much, and the auxiliary keyboard parts that she adds allow us to do everything without utilising backing tracks and having to play to a click.

Duff would also be asked about her role:

Well, she brings actually a lot to the table in that there was a guy that Axl had before that play [...] Especially on Chinese stuff. There's a lot of- [...] So, you know, we sing live backup vocals, obviously. There's nothing taped. There's nothing, anything. And so you got to have... On the Illusions tour, we brought up backup singers. [?] Teddy too, and then myself and Izzy. So a lot of backup vocals. There's tons. Vocals. [...] So how do you achieve that? Which is basically myself, Diz and somebody else. [...] So there's just three of us and she brings like this whole backup vocal, amazing thing that really helps that portion of the set. There's a lot of backup vocals. I sing more in that three and a half hour set than I would in me singing lead vocals in an hour long Loaded set. [...] You know, some of these backup vocals are, you know, a lot of falsettos, really hard stuff to sing. You gotta be perfectly in pitch. You have to sing differently to sing backup. [...] But she brings a lot to the band. She's a cool young spirit. And any piano parts that Teddy played against Dizzy's, or any keyboard parts, she plays. Illusion stuff and all that. So that's it. She's a Seahawks fan.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:36 am

JUNE 21, 2017
GUNS N' ROSES TO BROADCAST LIVE SHOW AT THE APOLLO THEATER

On June 21 it was announced that Guns N' Roses would perform a private concert for the radio channel SiriusXM and Howard Stern's Howard 101 channel at the Apollo Theater [Press Release, June 21, 2017]. The show would take place during the band's North American tour, on July 20 in New York [Press Release, June 21, 2017], the day before Appetite for Destruction's 30th anniversary.

Poster for the Apollo show
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:37 am

JUNE 22-JULY 1, 2017
THE 2017 EUROPEAN TOUR CONTINUES

The European tour continued with shows at Messegelände in Hanover, Germany (June 22), at the Werchterpark in Werchter, Belgium (June 24), at Telia Parken in Copenhagen, Denmark (June 27), at the Friends Arena in Stockholm, Sweden (June 29), and at Kantolan Tapahtumapuisto in Hämeenlinna, Finland (July 1).

June 22
Arian Buhler
June 24
Arian Buhler
June 27
Arian Buhler
June 29
Ulrich Planer
July 1
Ulrich Planer

Axl, Duff, Slash and Angus in Hannover
June 22, 2017
Slash, Angus and Axl in Hannover
June 22, 2017
Duff and Axl in Werchter
June 24, 2017
Slash in Copenhagen
June 27, 2017
Duff and Slash in Stockholm
June 29, 2017
Duff in Hämeenlinna
July 1, 2017

For the June 22 show in Hannover, Angus Young would again join the band for Whole Lotta Rosie and Riff Raff.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:39 am

AXL, SLASH AND DUFF SEE NO NEED TO TALK TO THE PRESS

As the semi-reunited band continued to tour, it became noticeable that Slash and Duff, who typically were quite press-friendly, did much less interviews.

In July 2017, Katherine Turman, writing for Billboard, would suggest non-disclosure agreements (NDAs) were in place:

There are rumblings that Rose instituted a NDA/letter from a lawyer strongly encouraging members, as well as numerous former associates, not to speak about the band.

And as introduction to an interview with Duff in September 2017, podcaster Chris Jericho would also state an NDA was in place:

Alright, Welcome to Talk is Jericho is the pot of Thunder and rock'n'roll and today doing his first in-depth long form interview since the Guns N' Roses reunion tour start in 2016, Duff Mckagan returns to Talk is Jericho. GN'R is on a press gag order. Since the reunion started, they've done no interviews. They've spoken to nobody. They've explained nothing to anybody. But Duff decided he wanted to come hang out with me on Talk Is Jericho.

Band members had previously also signed NDAs (see earlier chapter), so it would not be unexpected if Slash and Duff, too, signed NDAs as they rejoined the band and that this resulted in them talking less about the band than what they otherwise would have.

Still, after the reunion, Richard continued doing interviews at about the same frequency as before and Melissa had also done a few interviews. Richard did a particularly lengthy interview with his friend Favazz at radio station KSHE 95 St. Louis in December 2016, but ended up getting "crap" from Team Brazil because of this:

I do think I got crap for that. [...] But it's not about anybody in the band, it's management being very protective.

It could also be argued that Slash and Duff were quiet since they didn't have any other projects to promote at the time and hence did less press. This also turned out to be the case because when Slash had his new Conspirator album (Living The Dream) to promote in the second half of 2018, he would start doing lots more interviews and then also, reluctantly talk more about Guns N' Roses.

Slash would himself discuss this and mention how interviewers insisted on talking about Guns N' Roses:

It is hard to getting back into it. The best one, the best one was the first interview that I did where, not radio, but the first real serious interview. Not SiriusXM but serious like in... was Rolling Stone, which I haven't read, but this fucking guy was just like drilling me for information that I just didn't want to get into with him, 'cause that wasn't what the interview was supposed to be about. And so it just came out and I was like, that was the first interview that I had to do. And it was like, he wanted to talk about my divorce, wanted to talk about Guns N' Roses, wanted to talk about all this stuff that I was like didn't really wanna talk about. I just wanted to talk about the record and all that, you know, anyway. But, yeah, he and I didn't get along too well.

As for whether they had talked amongst themselves to not do GN'R press:

It wasn't even talked about. There was just nothing to do, any press, nobody wanted to do press and there was nothing to do press about. [...] We weren't selling a new record or anything like that. So it was nice. Like I said, you know, 'cause I fucking work my ass off with Conspirators, you know, you've gotta promote the shit outta this stuff just so people know that you're gonna be in the neighborhood or whatever. So that was nice, but now I'm back into it. Back in promo mode again.

Slash would later look back at the period:

It wasn't conscious. There was just no need to [do press]. Nobody wants to do press. [Laughs] We didn't have to do any press during that time, and it was really sort of nice. Doing The Conspirators, I know how it all works. I do the majority of the press for the band, and I go on these international press tours and domestic press tours and there's radio and there's all this stuff, and having been doing that straight since my first proper solo record through 'World On Fire' up until GUNS, when GUNS happened, it was like, all I had to do was play. It was really sort of cool.

The reluctance to do press meant that there was little literary documentation of the Not In This Lifetime tour:

The best documentation that was really done was Kat [photographer Katarina Benzova] putting stuff up on the Guns N' Roses site. As far as writing or any of that kind of shit, there was no real documentation of it. It has been [about] us going and playing every night and really just focusing for the most part on that — getting from gig to gig, country to country. Back in the '90s, we had this guy Austin and another guy that videotaped the entire 'Use Your Illusion' tour, 24/7, so no, we didn't do that. There's nothing really – there's nothing that I can think of that sort of recorded the last two years for posterity.

There really isn't very much analyzing going on. There's a great camaraderie that exists — we shoot the shit, we do our thing and we come up with some different ideas for this, that and the other, and it's really just sort of a day in the life... When I think of The Stones, there was a period there where they were very into documenting stuff so that people could see [what was happening], but then you reach a certain point, and they don't have anything really to prove about anything – they just do their thing. I think maybe we might have arrived at a place like that on this tour, where we're just doing it, and it's really us and those legions of fans that are there to support it. It's been an experience for us, this whole journey. I'm playing with three people I had never played with before, so there was that evolving. It's really been an experience for us, this whole journey. For me, you could never record this in a way that would really translate to fans properly. It's been a real personal journey for everybody involved.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:46 pm; edited 5 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:41 am

JULY 4-15, 2017
THE 2017 EUROPEAN TOUR ENDS

The European tour continued with shows at Letiště Praha Letňany in Prague, Czech Republic (July 4), at the Stade de France in Saint-Denis, France (July 7), at the Ernst Happel Stadion in Vienna, Austria (July 10), at Goffertpark in Nijmegen, Netherlands (July 12), with the final show at Park HaYarkon in Tel Aviv, Israel (July 15).

July 4
Ulrich Planer
July 7
Ulrich Planer
July 10
Tom Bongiorno
July 12
Scott Sandler
July 15
A.J. Fichera

For the show in Nijmegen, Angus Young joined the band again, playing with them on Whole Lotta Rosie and Riff Raff. At the final show, in Tel Aviv, a fan was injured as she tried to climb onto stage and fell [The Times of Israel, July 15, 2017].

Slash in Prague
July 4, 2017
Slash, Axl and Duff in Sant-Denis
July 7, 2017
Slash in Vienna
July 10, 2017
Slash, Axl, Angus and Richard in Nijmegen
July 12, 2017
Richard in Nijmegen
July 12, 2017
Axl in Nijmegen
July 12, 2017
Frank in Tel Aviv
July 15, 2017
Melissa in Tel Aviv
July 15, 2017

Review of the show in Saint-Denis by Frank Colombani in Le Monde, July 8:

Guns N' Roses fires at the Stade de France

For their only concert in France and in front of a nostalgic crowd, the hard-rockers gave a professional show for three hours and twenty minutes.

“All you need is just a little patience ,” sang Axl Rose serenely in 1989 on the acoustic ballad Patience . For their public, however, it was a completely different matter. At the height of their popularity twenty-five years ago, the temperamental singer and his gang of hard rockers Guns N' Roses were accustomed to delays in concerts, the wait being up to two hours long. This is clearly no longer the case today. Friday, July 7, the authors of the album Appetite for Destruction , released in 1987 (30 million copies sold), surprised by their punctuality on the Ile-de-France stage of the Stade de France, at 8:10 p.m. sharp, for a show of three hours and twenty minutes. This gives an idea of ​​the degree of professionalism achieved.

In the spring of 2016, the band's eventful reformation with three of its historical members, rock icon Axl Rose, top-hatted guitar hero Saul Hudson, known as Slash, and Sid Vicious-like bassist Duff McKagan reconciled after twenty-three years of scrambles, spawned one of the most lucrative tours of the year: $116.8 million (€102.3 million) in revenue from dates in North America, plus $55 million (48.2 million euros) for the South American tour. The original quintet are missing guitarist and co-composer Izzy Stradlin and drummer Steven Adler. The latter was invited to join his ex-band mates for a few American dates, without however managing to secure his place. There is no doubt that the European tour “Not in This Lifetime”, scheduled for eighteen dates, will meet with the same success as that in North America, judging by the crowds at the Stade de France, filled to capacity.

The audience, mostly in their forties and fifties, comes from the pre-Internet era, when powerful music TV channels such as MTV reigned supreme. Many of this generation have remembered Guns N' Roses through their blockbuster music videos that featured a tortured Axl Rose. The prominence of techno-like synthetic visuals on the giant screen gives the embarrassing impression of dating from the late 1990's and accentuates a certain shift.

However, the essential remains on stage: the group ensures the show, and Axl Rose is a charismatic leader. Despite the bias of a muscular rock entry, the start turns out to be a little soft and it is really necessary to wait for the fourth track, the emblematic Welcome to the Jungle , for the fervor of the public to manifest itself. Some proud bravado followed ( Double Talkin Jive , the famous cover of Live and Let Die, by Paul McCartney and Wings, an extended Rocket Queen ) and epic ballads ( Estranged , November Rain , a superb Civil War , and Patience as an encore). The adored singer, now 55, has of course aged, but without bearing the brunt of the years, continuing to run from one end of the stage to the other. Its high-pitched vocalizations, so characteristic, seem intact. Decked out in aviator sunglasses with chrome lenses, which he later traded for a copious collection of cowboy hats, the ex-rock bully has calmed down and asks the crowd to back off so as not to suffocate the children from the front rows.

Slash, the disheveled guitarist, flanked by his eternal top hat, steals the show from his singer for half an hour devoted to his blues rock solos, based on the theme of The Godfather, the anthem Sweet Child o ' Mine and an instrumental cover of Wish you Were Here by Pink Floyd, rather successful. Other "covers" have integrated the stage repertoire, in particular a brand-new Whole Lotta Rosie, from AC/DC, The Seeker, from The Who, as well as Black Hole Sun , a hit by the grunge group Soundgarden, in homage to Chris Cornell, died at the end of May. A band that enjoyed massive success in the 1990s, whose tragic trajectory does not fail to arouse some comparisons. Ironically, the Guns N' Roses, survivors of all the excesses, are still standing.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:42 am

DUFF AND SLASH'S SECURITY DETAIL

After they rejoined Guns N' Roses, both Duff and Slash had their own personal security detail.

Duff had previously been using his buddy Tim Medvetz:

So I had a guy before this, Tim Medvetz, who's my bro. He was also Head of Security for the Hell's Angels for eight years. So he was out with me. I've climbed mountains with Tim. [...] He's done Everest three times, the seven highest in in the world. And he has this foundation where he takes legless and armless vets up to the highest mountains in the world. [...] And he is just a wonderful dude and he's a bad-ass. And he's my brother and he rides Harleys and et cetera, et cetera. So he was my guy for the first seven months of this tour, six months. But he has an injury, he got in a bad motorcycle accident a bunch of years ago and he finally had to get his- [...] There's a show called Everest on Discovery and if anybody seen that he was "Biker Tim" on that. And yeah, he got in a really bad accident and he said he'd never walk again and blah blah blah. But he climbed Everest. So he's a fantastic guy but he had to finally get that surgery on his ankle, [?] wasn't sure if they're going to save his foot. So he had to take time off and Tedau [?] came in.

Tim Medvetz and Duff

When Medvetz required surgery, Duff got a new bodyguard, Tedeu [?] [Talk Is Jericho, September 6, 2017]. This happened around August 18, 2016, when they played at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles [Talk Is Jericho, September 6, 2017]. Tedeu [?] was the cousin of Slash's bodyguard, Carlson Dean "Kimo" Silva [Talk Is Jericho, September 6, 2017] who worked for Gorilla, Inc, and had been a bodyguard for rock bands for years [Talk Is Jericho, September 6, 2017].

So yeah, so Tedau [?] is my security guy and we roll together every place. I go to the gym with him. We've just become really kind of close because of it. It's a good thing we kind of pair up, okay? He's very quiet. I can be quiet, but I'm really not so quiet. [...] I'm outgoing, he's not, but he's really funny. And the Islanders, the Polynesians, they have a really... I don't wanna generalize them all, but they're gonna have this really easy island gait, you know, this whole style. [...] So Tedau [?] coming out, it's like, well, that's that's a big part of it, "Can we hang?" Because you eat dinner together every night, you travel together, you do everything together and Tedau [?] was so cool. He's so mellow, you know? And then he'll come out of his room, he's got little speaker and he's got like the newest pop, Taylor Swift and Katy Perry and [?] and stuff, and that's our walk-in music down the hall, into the elevator.

Kimo Silva
Slash's bodyguard

DEALING WITH EBAYERS

When asked what the bodyguards helped with, Duff would point to eBayers [Talk Is Jericho, September 6, 2017]., people who seek out celebrities to get their autographs on items which would then subsequently be sold on eBay. EBayers would often be pushy and harass celebrities. Duff would claim that certain airliners and hotels would sell information about the itinerary of celebrities allowing for eBayers to be present wherever they travelled [Talk Is Jericho, September 6, 2017].

Every time you land at JFK in America, they're there.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:43 am

JULY 20, 2017
THE BAND CELEBRATES THE ANNIVERSARY OF APPETITE BY PLAYING A STREAMED SHOW AT THE APOLLO

On July 20, the band played the aforementioned announced show at the Apollo Theater in New York, which was streamed at SiriusXM. Many people had anticipated surprises for the show since it took place the day before the 30th anniversary of Appetite for Destruction, but the show featured no deviation from the setlists used earlier this year or any guests. They did, though start the show at exactly midnight to honor the release:

[...] did the The Apollo Show - which we played late, New York time, because we wanted it to be midnight because the 30th anniversary of Appetite. So we wanted to play at midnight [...].

Poster for the Apollo show

Review by Patrick Ryan writing for USA Today, published on July 21, 2017:

'Appetite for Destruction' at 30: Axl Rose shows he's still got it at anniversary show

NEW YORK — Three decades in, rock fans still have an insatiable hunger for Guns N' Roses.

That was amplified late Thursday night at Harlem's historic Apollo Theater, where the Rock and Roll Hall of Famers reunited to play an invitation-only Sirius XM radio show to celebrate their landmark 1987 debut Appetite for Destruction, which marks its 30th anniversary Friday.

Fueled by top-10 hits Sweet Child O' Mine, Paradise City and Welcome to the Jungle, the album spent four nonconsecutive weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart, going on to sell an estimated 30 million copies worldwide and rank No. 62 on Rolling Stone's "greatest albums of all time" list.

Axl Rose — who reunited with Guns N' Roses last year after more than a decade of strife with lead guitarist Slash — thrived in the 1,500-seat venue, which is a welcome downsizing from the 60,000-capacity stadiums the band has been playing on their Not in This Lifetime tour this year. The intimate setting was an ideal place to watch the bandana-clad frontman's spark-plug antics, which included multiple costume changes when he wasn't snugging his bandmates or jumping in place, frequently bounding onto a raised platform center stage where he towered over the head-banging, beer-swilling crowd.

After a late start, the rollicking set ran for more than two and a half hours, with only the occasional lull in the audience during power ballads Estranged and Better. Electrifying covers of Paul McCartney's Live and Let Die and AC/DC's Whole Lotta Rosie earned loud whoops of recognition, as did Slash's noodling of The Godfather theme Speak Softly, Love during an extended guitar break leading into crowd favorite Sweet Child O' Mine. Rose's vocals — a gravelly grumble that often erupted into a primal scream — shined on the slowed-down This I Love, while Slash and bassist Duff McKagan each got their moments in the spotlight with piercing solos and an epic "duel" in the middle of Welcome to the Jungle.

Spotty acoustics aside, Guns N' Roses put on an animated show that catered to their longtime fans, with a special nod warranted for opening act The Kills, whose loose, fuzz-funk jams set the tone for the night.

Apollo Theater
July 20, 2017
Apollo Theater
July 20, 2017
Apollo Theater
July 20, 2017

Apollo theater in New York! IMO Slash played the most beautiful solo of the tour at this show. Every night is different with him. That's why he's a legend. Like Hendrix, every show, he pushes himself to new heights. Incredibly inspirational to play with, because it drives me as well. truly an honor
Facebook, July 2017

A few days after this show Alan Niven would talk about it and how impressed he was with the band and especially Axl:

And I've had a number of people in the last week tell me that the show in New York was fantastic. I think part of the reason why it was fantastic was because it was confined in a smaller building, which amplifies the power and everybody has said that Slash was sublime and he is definitely playing the best of his life. His playing at the moment is magnificent. And I have to take my cap off to Axl. Who saw this coming? That is an incredible workload that he has gotten through already and now they're playing over three hours. I don't know how he's doing it. I don't know if they're injecting him with the Virgin's blood, but whatever they're doing, he has taken on an incredible workload and brought it. And let me tell you, when the reunion - and I have a hard time with the reunion because, from my personal perspective, if Izzy's not there, it's not truly Guns N' Roses reunion. But when this thing first got rolling, all the conventional wisdom was that maybe they'd get through five dates before it imploded and exploded. And I just have to say that I'm mildly in awe at the moment. I'm absolutely amazed at how many shows they've done. And I'm really stunned at the workload that Axl has shouldered, and I think that's… I can't figure it out. I can't figure out how he's done it. He's in his fifties. I’d draw the analogy that, you know, people like Pavarotti sang long and hard at the performance well into that the later years. But a rock and roll show of three and a half hours, that’s a lot to take out of any human body and it's a lot of work when you're in your twenties. When you're in your fifties, it's amazing. I'm really stunned by it.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:44 am

JULY 21, 2017-MAY 2018
BUILDUP TO APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION'S 30TH ANNIVERSARY

On July 21, 2017, it was exactly 30 years since Appetite For Destruction was released and the band had celebrated with a streamed show from the Apollo [see previous chapter]. Still, the band had more planned...

The magazine Classic Rock would look back at what the album had achieved:

First, some facts: Appetite for Destruction was never a flop. By October 1987, the album had sold a respectable 150,000 copies, just three months after being released. By all accounts, this was a successful debut. Appetite had taken over the charts by the end of 1988, having then sold 6 million units. It proceeded to pummel the competition during two decades of rumors and high drama, peaking on Sept. 23, 2008, when it reached 18 million in certified units according to the Recording Industry Association of America.

That makes Appetite for Destruction the best-selling debut ever, regardless of genre.

Slash had been asked a couple of years prior about whether the band would celebrate this occasion, but suggested they most likely wouldn't:

We haven't really celebrated any benchmarks up to now, so I don't see any reason why that trend would change, but who knows?

Then Slash and Duff rejoined the band which could make any celebrations easier to arrange. Steven would also indicate that Fernando Lebeis, from Team Brazil, was planning for something to happen:

And Fernando, who is GN’R’s main guy, he’s got some good ideas for hopefully this summer, for the thirtieth anniversary [of ‘Appetite For Destruction’] in July, something for the fans. I don’t know what it is, but he’s a good guy, and I think he’s gonna do the right thing…

And as the date got closer, billboards seemingly celebrating the event and indicating that something was brewing, would be shown in New York City:

Poster in New York City
July 2017

This lead to expectations that something would happen at the band's show at the Apollo Theater in New York City on July 20th, but nothing out of the ordinary took place [see previous chapter].

The day after the show, on the anniversary day, Live Nation sent out a press release announcing that additional dates had been added to the NITL tour of North America this fall to "celebrate the multi-platinum record that welcomed fans to the jungle and topped the Billboard 200" [Press Release, July 21, 2017]:

Three decades ago today, Guns N' Roses transformed and transfixed the world of rock and roll forever with their seminal debut album Appetite for Destruction. To celebrate the multi-platinum record that welcomed fans to the jungle and topped the Billboard 200, the unprecedented legends of rock are announcing a selection of new stops on their momentous Not In This Lifetime Tour produced by Live Nation.

[...]

Last night the band continued their celebration of the 30th anniversary of Appetite for Destruction and the upcoming start of their North American outing with an exclusive show at Harlem's world famous Apollo Theater. The intimate evening for fans was the first time Guns N' Roses performed at the iconic venue. Appetite for Destruction sold 30 million copies globally when it leapt onto the scene in 1987 and became the bestselling U.S. debut in music history.

AUGUST 7, 2017: "GUNS N' ROSES WAS HERE"

Despite the 30th anniversary date having come and come with the show at the Apollo, the band would continue to celebrate the anniversary in various ways for the rest of 2017 and 2018 and hint that a special event was to take place later.

Excerpt of press release on August 7, 2017:

Guns N’ Roses Announces Exclusive LA Multi-Brand Retail Experience, ‘Guns N’ Roses Was Here’

In celebration of the thirtieth anniversary of their ground-breaking debut album, Appetite For Destruction, Guns N’ Roses have announced ‘Guns N’ Roses Was Here’: an exclusive retail event in partnership with Maxfield and Bravado that will live in the famed Los Angeles boutique from 11 to 18 August 2017.

‘Guns N’ Roses Was Here’ gives past, present and future GN’R fans a new interpretation of their celebrated 1987 album with limited-edition capsule collections. Maxfield and Bravado sought out top collaborators ranging from unexpected streetwear brands to designers deeply rooted in GN’R’s style, to bring new life to the classic artwork that has transcended time.

APRIL 2018: GNR.FM

In April 2018, a new website was launched, GNR.FM, simply displaying the message "Destruction is coming" along with the #AppetiteForDestruction hashtag [Blabbermouth, April 30, 2018]. In addition, a billboard in Camden, London, would feature the five skulls from the Appetite for Destruction logo and advertise the new website [Blabbermouth, April 30, 2018].

Billboard in Camden, London, UK
April 2018
Guns N' Roses on  Twitter
May 1, 2018

A few days later, GNR.FM started displaying a clock counting down to  Thursday night (May 3) at 9:00 p.m. PDT (midnight EDT) [Blabbermouth, May 1, 2018]. The band would also start promoting this message on social media [Blabbermouth, May 1, 2018].

Steven would express his disappointment that it likely wasn't a tour with the Appetite lineup:

I think it’s just an ad for a box-set of CDs. It’s a collection I think, I’m not sure but that is what I think it is. If it is a tour of the Appetite Of Destruction line-up to be touring together and playing together again, which I have been praying for over twenty-five years, then nobody has said anything to me. So I don’t know but you will definitely be able to see me play Appetite For Destruction with an amazing band in Australia…. that we definitely have going! Until the other GNR guys, whoever runs GNR I don’t know, wants to get the five of us back together when they are ready… I am ready. I am ready and I am set.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:46 am

JULY 27, 2017
A RETURN TO ST. LOUIS

Guns N' Roses had not played St. Louis since the disastrous riot on July 2, 1991 [see previous chapters]. In 2016, the band announced that they would include a show in St. Louis as part of the North American tour in 2017 [see previous chapter].

TALKING ABOUT PLAYING IN ST. LOUIS

In 2008, Richard - who came from St. Louis - would talk about how the band had avoided playing in St. Louis because of Axl's troubled relationship with the St. Louis police department:

[Axl] doesn't want to have anything to do with the police department there. [...] Because of that we don't play in St. Louis, so I don’t see my family (laughs).

When asked if there was no way GN'R would return to St. Louis, Richard talked about Axl's "Love Tour":

I don't know. You know, to be honest, we were speaking about it, I guess last year, and he was talking about wanting to do a love tour where we played all the cities where there had been riots- [...] And maybe do, like, free shows and try and make amends, if you will. So, I mean, there is a chance, yeah. [...] Like I said, we talked about it, so hopefully we can – I think that he wouldn't want to do it unless he went in a situation like that, that we could make it up to people and sort of make amends and… you know.

In 2015 again, mostly to deflect tricky questions from a St. Louis radio station regarding whether he was the sole guitarist in the band now that DJ and Bumblefoot had left, Richard again talked about playing a show in St. Louis:

But, you know, man, I sure hope we play St. Louis this next year. Wouldn't that be great? [...] I mean, you'd forgive us, right?

Axl wants to play this town again. [...] he was like, "You know what, we're just waiting for the right offer and the right scenario to make it right." You know, he's very particular about- [...] the situation is, he wants to do it the right way. [...] I know it was pretty traumatic for [?] For everybody involved-

TALKING ABOUT THE UPCOMING SHOW

Richard did a few interviews with media in the St. Louis area and would talk about the planned show.

I’m also really looking forward to playing my other hometown, St Louis. It’ll be the first time that the band has played St Louis in 26 years! It will be my first time to play.

It was a series of unfortunate events that led to what happened. I would imagine (Rose) must be apprehensive, though he never expressed that to me, so I don’t know. But I know some people here are apprehensive. People lost jobs because of what happened. Some people are like, ‘(Screw) that guy, I’m not giving him my money.’ I get that. [...] Everyone was traumatized. It was no little deal for them — not just another night at the office.

And how the tour's been going:

It’s bigger than anything I’ve ever experienced. Doing multiple nights at a stadium is a mind-(expletive). It’s hard to get your head around that level of craziness. Fans are just so rabid for it.

Explaining why it is difficult to play in St. Louis:

There's always different reasons. St. Louis is tough as far as routing and how, you know, you can't do- [...] You have a lot of people don't play here. You know, it's sort of become a tertiary market, so- [...] a lot of times [the shows are] during the week. Whereas like, you know, Chicago is gonna give the shows on the weekend. You know what I mean?

And how they had wanted to play St. Louis in 2016:

Yeah we were trying to make it the last show of the last tour and it just, it didn't work out. There's no way... Axl wanted that to happen but it doesn't make sense financially. It's a huge mistake for us because we have to, you'd have to ship everything from the West Coast, where we're ending all the way back and get everyone out. It's just difficult, you know, it wasn't good routing and as much as he wanted to do it. So that was part of why we either knew, we were going to do this, was St. Louis was going to be the first show or the last show.

And that people had tried to talk Axl out of visiting the city in 2017:

They were trying to work out the logistics to make that happen cause it's not the place to start a tour or end a tour usually, you know, you usually start out one coast to the other and so, you know, they were trying to talk [Axl] out of it. But this is, you know, it was important that this be the first or last.

As for how Axl had changed:

You know what, I've met people that were hurt [in the St. Louis concert riot in 1991]. I've met people that lost their jobs because of that, you know, there's, I get it, you know, but.... Yeah, he's definitely a different person. It was so long time ago.

And whether he would comment on the riot:

Knowing Axl, I would imagine so. But I have no idea. If nothing else, he’s gonna make a joke.

THE SHOW

July 27, 2017
Ulrich Planer

The last time we were here was half of my life ago. Half of my freaking, fucking life ago. It's good to see you again.
St. Louis, July 27, 2017

[Introducing Slash] Ladies and gentlemen, my partner in crime, as we return to the scene of the crime.
St. Louis, July 27, 2017

Richard and Slash in St. Louis
July 27, 2017
Duff in St. Louis
July 27, 2017
Slash in St. Louis
July 27, 2017

But yeah, that was an incredibly special show because I'd been in the band for 17 years and never played my hometown.

Review by Marie Taylor with contributions by Sean Derrick published in Midwest Rewind on July 28, 2017:

After 26 years Guns n’ Roses returned to Saint Louis with Stellar concert Thursday

For many Saint Louisans seeing a Guns N’ Roses concert in the Gateway City after the infamous Riverport Riot of July 2, 1991 seemed implausible. One would probably have better odds winning Powerball than guessing the date, let alone the year, that GnR would perform again in Saint Louis.

On Thursday at The Dome at America’s Center the event that many thought impossible became reality with a 3 1/2 hour long performance by the band to kick off the 2nd leg of their “Not In This Lifetime Tour”.

As one of the most anticipated shows of the summer, the St. Louis leg of the “Not in This Lifetime Tour” had a lot of people wondering what the band would bring to the city after the disastrous night of the 1991 Riverport Riots, which effectively instituted an animosity towards the band that lasted over 25 years. Rumors and speculation were thrown around by the public months leading up to the concert, with many wondering if St. Louis would see a repeat of that iconic event.

While many older fans still hold a grudge over what transpired in 1991 many others, and most younger fans, have let the passage of time heal the wounds and begin a fresh start. Thursday’s concert was that catalyst to a better relationship.

Walking into the Dome that night, even I had my doubts about it remaining a peaceful one. The crowd was a large one (about 35,000), with many people already hyped up in anticipation for the night. With all the alcohol being consumed and memories from the past also in attendance, this concert had the potential to be destructive. Fortunately, none of that came to pass. Even notoriously combative rock legends make their peace with time, which just goes to show that all things really do come full circle.

Not that the night was without its drama. The closest that the crowd realistically came to rioting was when vendors for the Dome ran out of beer. That’s not an exaggeration, as many of the vending areas did run out of beer during the show. This caused some panic with the already animated crowd, but it quickly became survival of the fittest as the savvier concert goers rushed towards the remaining beer like it was the last lifeboat on the Titanic.

Without getting too corny with thoughts on the night, I still want to share that what happened last night was as close to pure magic as many of us get from a performance. Watching and listening to a band as iconic and influential as Guns ‘N Roses, albeit without the completely original crew, was as amazing and memorable as I anticipated. Looking around at the crowd during the performances, I think the rest of the audience felt the same way.

To his credit, Axl Rose put on a spectacular performance that was full of energy and without a hint of mockery. Without addressing the controversial 1991 Riverport Riot directly, Rose nonetheless thanked the large crowd for coming out and ended his final performance by alluding that it would not be long before the band would come back again. The crowd responded to this announcement with enthusiasm and excitement, giving a satisfying conclusion to this tumultuous relationship.

All of the band’s members put on a top-quality show, and I want to highlight all the current Guns ‘N Roses crew: Axl Rose, Slash, Duff McKagen, St. Louis’s own Richard Fortus, Dizzy Reed, Frank Ferrer, and Melissa Reese. Each member gave the crowd an incredible performance, something that the audience won’t forget for a long time.

It would be a disservice to his performance if I didn’t specifically mention the powerful guitar work from Slash that happened during the entire show. A legendary figure in the rock world, Slash showed us last night why he is one of the great guitar icons. Not overly technical, but showing skill that few can match, Slash played with such heart and pure energy that went beyond showmanship. His performance was about the quality of music and the pureness of the sound, which was something that I wasn’t expecting from a legend in an over-the-top band like Guns ‘N Roses. It was his performances last night that made me realize how one man could turn a grammatical symbol into a word associated with the best of rock ‘n roll.

An unexpected, but extremely moving, part of the evening came when the band performed a cover of Soundgarden’s “Black Hole Sun”, which was presumably done in tribute to Chris Cornell. Although it was a slightly ironic moment (after all, grunge did usher in a new type of rock music that pushed bands like Guns ‘N Roses out), it was a beautiful and unique tribute to a rock legend that died too soon.

The show was a longer one, with practically 3.5 hours of nonstop playing from the band. If this were any other show, I don’t know if people would have been as receptive to that amount of time. Because this was Guns ‘N Roses and the night was a significant one, the audience kept up the excitement and the elation. It felt like this concert was allowing the past and the present to come full circle and finally be resolved. The night was magical, the playing was spectacular, and St. Louis cannot wait for Guns ‘N Roses to come back to the Gateway City.

Looking back at the show:

I think everybody was a little bit nervous. [...] Just how it would be received. I know Axl was. You know, it was just a little tenuous. But it went great. I thought he handled himself really well, acknowledging it- [...] "Been awhile"[...] Now, he's been wanting to do it for a while. For me it was, you know, it's like a Pale Divine gig, hometown crowd so feels like a lot of pressure, you know, a lot of friends and family there. [...] I had like 100 people backstage.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:48 am

2012-2018
DUFF AND THE WALKING PAPERS

In 2012 Duff would join the band The Walking Papers together with Pearl Jam's Mike McCready [Grantland, August 13, 2012], Missionary Position’s Jeff Angell and Screaming Trees' drummer Barrett Martin [Billboard, July 27, 2013]:

Blabbermouth reports that ex-GNR bassist Duff McKagan and Pearl Jam guitarist Mike McCready are collaborating in a new band called Walking Papers. The Seattle-based group, headed up by former Screaming Trees drummer Barrett Martin and local singer Jeff Angell, describes itself (somewhat inauspiciously) on its Facebook page as “blues-rock,” and its forthcoming record, due in October, as a collection of “individual stories, but taken together as a whole, they tell a much larger narrative that conveys the tales of wandering souls, the collisions of will, and the dark beauty of the American heart that is ever searching for truth and meaning in a collapsing world.”

Not long after, a tour would be announced for September-December 2012 to support the release of their self-titled album [Blabbermouth, September 19, 2012].

Jeff Angell had previously been considered for Velvet Revolver:

Jeff is a guy I’ve known since about ’99; he’s a guy that everybody in Seattle knows about and has thought should be the next big whatever. He came and tried out for Velvet Revolver before Scott (Weiland) so I’ve been close to him for awhile. When Jeff and Barrett started putting some of these (Walking Papers) songs together, Jeff called me and said ‘Would you come up and play bass on some songs’ and one thing led to another after that. It happened in kind of a right way; it wasn’t like a pre-planned, ‘We’re gonna put a group together’ thing.

If you live in Seattle, you would know about Jeff Angell. His old band, Post Stardom Depression, was a band that really should have been that “next big thing.” They were signed to Dreamworks but they were young, mid-20s, and they kind of went left with the advance money they were given when they should’ve gone right, and you know that thing that happens when you throw some young guys a couple of bucks they’re not used to having.

That was around 1999/2000, and Jeff recovered, started playing around town either by himself or with the Missionary Position. He has a particular songwriting style, a particular vocal delivery that I was very familiar with; so yes, I was hoping Walking Papers would be in that same neighborhood and it really is and pulling Jeff to the forefront of his forte which is that storytelling lyric writing with a particular streetwise cadence that I just fucking love.

With The Walking Papers, Duff would be back playing bass:

I hadn’t played bass, really, in a band for a little while, so I loved the idea of me playing bass with Barrett playing drums and being in a really fiery rhythm section. WE have this really cool, perfect restraint, which is sort of cool. I think you know Barrett’s capable of going off at any second on his drums, but he doesn’t — although live we go for it quite a bit more than on the record. It’s a much more thunderous band live. I’m really excited about the prospects for this band.

Walking Papers joined the Uproar tour in 2013, and on that bill was also the Dead Daisies with Richard and Dizzy:

And Duff's band, Walking Papers, was on right after us, and that was great. They're really good. Really cool band. And I'd go out and sit in with them occasionally, so it's fun.

Walking Papers released their self-titled album on August 6, 2013.

Walking Papers
August 6, 2013

In October 2014, they had recorded their second album:

We just finished our second record. We actually over-recorded. We recorded 21 songs, and on the drive here, we were just listening, trying to pare it down to 12.

For unknown reasons this album would not be released until 2018, with its announcement of a January 19, 2018, release date coming in November 2017 [Blabbermouth, November 14, 2017]. The album would be named WP2 [Blabbermouth, November 14, 2017].

WP2
January 19, 2018
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

JULY 30-AUGUST 8, 2017
THE 2017 NORTH AMERICAN TOUR CONTINUES

After St. Louis the band did shows at the U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, MN, USA (July 30), at the Sports Authority Field at Mile High in Denver, CO, USA (August 2), at the War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock, AR, USA (August 5), at Marlins Park in Miami, Fl, USA (August 8),

July 30, 2017
Ulrich Planer
August 2, 2017
Jessica Minnis
August 5, 2017
Ulrich Planer
August 8, 2017
Scott Sandler

Melissa and Duff in Minneapolis
July 30, 2017
Slash in Denver
August 2, 2017
Melissa in Little Rock
August 5, 2017
Duff and Frank in Miami
August 8, 2017

Review of the show in Minneapolis by Ross Raihala in Pioneer Press on July 30:

Guns N’ Roses provide 3 hours of thrills at U.S. Bank Stadium

It only took 30 years, but Axl Rose finally grew up. Last year, the famously erratic, unpredictable frontman buried the hatchet with original Guns N’ Roses guitarist Slash and hit the road for a semi-reunion world tour of stadiums.

Some 85 shows later and the “Not in This Lifetime” road show finally hit Minnesota on Sunday, when Rose and company nearly filled Minneapolis’ U.S. Bank Stadium. It was well worth the wait. Not only did the concert run smoothly, it actually began at a decent hour. Never afraid to start a show at 11:45 p.m. on a school night or just cancel it altogether, Rose took the stage at 8:40 p.m., shocking the fans still milling around the concourse.

For more than three hours, Guns N’ Roses delivered a drama-free performance few ever thought would be possible. Utterly satisfying and at times thrilling, overall it felt quite professional, a word rarely used to describe GNR.

The original Guns N’ Roses lineup – Rose, Slash, bassist Duff McKagan, guitarist Izzy Stradlin and drummer Steven Adler – earned worldwide fame, and notoriety, after their 1987 debut “Appetite for Destruction” blew up a metal scene that seemed more concerned with hairspray and eyeliner than the actual music.

But rampant drug abuse, clashing egos and Rose’s increasing megalomania started a chain of defections that left Rose the sole remaining member. He hired a new set of musicians, including Replacements bassist Tommy Stinson, and spent much of the ’00s on the road playing to the faithful while living the life of a recluse.

Once news leaked that Rose and Slash were speaking again, most assumed a full reunion was in the works. Instead, only McKagan rejoined, and the three are on the road with keyboardist Dizzy Reed (who has been with the band since 1990), guitarist Richard Fortus (2002), drummer Frank Ferrer (2006) and new hire Melissa Reese, also on keys.

Sunday, though, both the cameras and staging kept the bulk of the attention on the three old-timers. Ever the eccentric, Rose wore artfully torn jeans, a flannel around his waist and an ever-changing series of T-shirts accompanied by the occasional hat, jacket, bandanna and/or pair of sunglasses. Rose, who made a surprise appearance at Billy Joel’s Friday night concert at Target Field, struggled with his vocals here and there, but managed to hit the notes that really counted.

Dressed all in black with his signature top hat perched above his curly locks, Slash positively oozed cool. The audience clearly adored him and gave him plenty of love, maybe even more than Rose. He played the guitar like Prince used to, without a hint of effort, as if it was an extension of his body. Speaking of Prince, McKagan’s bass was emblazoned with the Purple One’s famous love symbol. (McKagan visited Paisley Park earlier in the day Sunday and was spotted in the crowd Saturday when Ryan Adams played St. Paul’s Palace Theatre.)

Review of the show in Miami by Celia Almeida in Miami New Times on August 8:

Guns N' Roses Made Up for Lost Time With Three-Hour Set at Marlins Park

They say rock 'n' roll is dead in 2017 — a shell of the cultural touchstone it once was, eclipsed by computer-generated sounds and gone by the wayside in a karmic retelling of rock's past usurpation of jazz as America's leading musical force. "They" haven't seen Slash play Eric Clapton's "Layla" solo with Axl Rose on piano in front of 35,000 rabid fans wearing Guns N' Roses T-shirts like compulsory uniforms.

After decades of public feuding and separate musical projects, "The Most Dangerous Band in the World" made up for lost time at Marlins Park with a blistering three-hour set of arena-ready hits, and asserted its place in rock's disciplic succession with tributes to many of the rock 'n' roll gods who came before (and after) them.

The first of these tributes came before GNR even hit the stage, as the offstage announcer introduced the band by shouting out the "Rhinestone Fucking Cowboy" Glen Campbell, whose death was announced just a few hours before the show.

Running onstage to the Looney Tunes theme song, the band opened with "It's So Easy," off the career-defining album Appetite for Destruction. The Not in This Lifetime tour marks the reunion of original members Axl Rose, Slash, and Duff McKagan in celebration of Appetite's 30th anniversary.

Guns N' Roses musicians can act as hard as they want — and they do. But at their core, they're crowd-pleasers. They know their fans want raining pyro, climbing and jumping off stage monitors, and extended guitar solos. They delivered handsomely to a melting audience that vocalized and tweeted their displeasure at the park's decision to keep the roof open without AC at the height of Miami summer. Sitting in the heat was bad, but GNR nevertheless powered through the energetic set as sweat dripped off their bodies and Axl Rose changed T-shirt after T-shirt.

Rose faded in and out of view during the show, appearing when his voice was needed for songs like "Rocket Queen," "You Could Be Mine," "My Michelle," and the still-shocking "Used to Love Her." He bowed out during the many times Slash took center stage for extended solos, like his instrumental cover of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here."

That was just one of many tributes, both subtle and overt, to the band's rock heroes. Slash closed out "Civil War" with a few licks of Jimi Hendrix's "Voodoo Child" and duck-walked across the stage like Chuck Berry, as McKagan played in his Lemmy shirt and displayed a purple Prince symbol on his bass guitar.The most powerful tribute of the night came in the form of a moving cover of "Black Hole Sun," in memory of Soundgarden frontman and Slash and McKagan collaborator Chris Cornell. The rendition also allowed space for Rose to sing in his gorgeous lower register, which goes criminally underused in favor of his admittedly impressive sky-high range.

The show hit the three-hour mark during the band's four-song encore, which included "Patience" and "Paradise City." Fans had been clamoring for these songs from the stands throughout the show. Saving his only political statement for the end of the show, Axl Rose asked the crowd to sing along with vigor during "Knockin' On Heaven's Door," alluding to Donald Trump's terrifying "fire and fury" comments regarding possible nuclear war with North Korea. "This could be the last time we get to sing it," he said, before voicing his wish for cooler heads to prevail. After all, after a lifetime of public spats and outbursts, his band's twilight success is living proof of what can be accomplished when people set egos aside and finally get to work.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

AXL, SLASH AND DUFF TALK ABOUT THE SUCCESSFUL REUNION

So it's 18 months now and it's been... I mean, I would never - you know, if you talked to me 20 months ago, I would have said, "No fucking way. It’s not ever gonna happen." But it did, and it was fuckin’ awesome.

It was very surreal. You know, these moments on stage, where you sort of take stock of where you are at the moment and you go, "Wow, this isn’t true" (laughs). And the funny thing about it... It was something about this particular tour that it didn’t make me - it didn’t take me back to, you know, the last tour in the 90s where it's, like, reminiscent of that. It was completely uniquely its own new thing. Same guys, same songs, but a whole different experience.

There is not a lot for me to say about it except that it’s been a huge f***in’ weight off my shoulders. As soon as we started the rehearsals Axl and I got past a couple of decades’ worth of bullshit and found the camaraderie again. It was only meant to be two shows and a couple of warm-up gigs. Now we’re touring the world.

And Slash, you know, having Slash over on that side of the stage and Axe. It's like super powerful.

Well, there's, you know, I mean there is something, you know that that, you know I'm trying to think of the right word for it. "Chemistry" just sounds so yeah, whatever. But there is a real thing that happens between, you know, Duff and Axl and I, when we play together, when we write together whatever. And so that just happens. It's very combustible. It just happens very naturally and it just sort of put it together and it sort of got this combustible element to it.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:02 am; edited 3 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:49 am

AUGUST 15, 2017
SLASH BECOMES GIBSON'S FIRST GLOBAL BRAND AMBASSADOR

Slash had a long relationship with Gibson Guitars. In August 2027, Gibson made Slash their first "Global Ambassador":

NASHVILLE, Tenn., Aug. 15, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Gibson Brands, the world's leading music lifestyle company, announces it has appointed guitar superstar Slash as Global Brand Ambassador, the first such designation in the company's history. As part of the new role with Gibson, Slash is developing new products with three of its celebrated guitar brands, Gibson Custom, Gibson and Epiphone. Details of new products and exclusive content will be announced beginning later this month. Throughout his career, Slash has embodied Gibson's values of quality, prestige and innovation and has brought the indelible sound and style of Gibson guitars to new heights of popularity and recognition over the last 30 years.

"We are thrilled to recognize Slash as Gibson's first Global Brand Ambassador," said Henry Juszkiewicz, chairman and CEO of Gibson Brands. "Slash embodies the characteristics of creativity, passion and excellence that are so closely aligned with Gibson and we are very proud of the friendship and mutual success we have shared together for over 30 years. We are also very excited about the future products we will be announcing soon."

Slash would comment on the honor:

It's an honor to be Gibson's first Global Brand Ambassador. I've been working with Gibson since the early days of my professional career and playing Gibson guitars since before that. I'm proud of the creative relationship we've developed over the years.

That's something that they just christened me with recently. [...] They gave me a t shirt.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

AUGUST 11-19, 2017
THE 2017 NORTH AMERICAN TOUR CONTINUES

The next shows took place at BB&T Field in Winston-Salem, NC, USA (August 11), and Hersheypark Stadium in Hershey, PA, USA (August 13), at New Era Field in Buffalo, NY, USA (August 16), at Parc Jean-Drapeau in Montreal, QC, Canada (August 19),

August 11, 2017
Ulrich Planer
August 13, 2017
Dawud West
August 16, 2017
Ulrich Planer
August 19, 2017
Johnny Crap/Jonathan Bergeron

Axl in Hershey
August 13, 2017
Dizzy in Buffalo
August 16, 2017
Axl in Montreal
August 19, 2017
Duff in Montreal
August 19, 2017

Review of the show in Hershey by Stephanie Sadowski in Penn Live on August 14:

7 reasons Guns N Roses' Hershey show was better than I expected

In some ways, it's like I trained my whole life to cover Guns N Roses at Hershey. I was 8 when "Appetite" came out and in middle school during "Use Your Illusion I and II." My house was full of metal.

But I wasn't sure this show was going to be that good. How can you beat late-80s GNR, even if you're still GNR? And how do you do it without Izzy Stradlin?

The show was better than I expected (and I also apparently remember a lot more lyrics than I thought, since my voice is now shot from singing/screaming along). Here's why.

1. The crowd was fully into it

Never underestimate the crowd Guns N Roses can draw, 30 years after "Appetite for Destruction." Traffic was insane, and the parking lots were so full that I parked over by lightpole 117 at the Giant Center -- that's in the hinterlands of Giant parking, let alone Hersheypark Stadium. By 5:30, Hershey Entertainment wasn't even charging for parking anymore. Cars were just being waved through.

Since it was York's own Live's first show at the stadium since reuniting, I wondered if that would draw a lot of fans. But the crowd was solidly GNR, with a flood of "Appetite" shirts,. including one from the '88 tour. There was also a surprising number of Motorhead shirts (including on GNR's Duff McKagan).

The packed stadium was bouncing, throwing devil horns and shimmying through the entire 3-hour set. A woman in the row behind me was calling out songs from their first notes, high-fiving me for "Civil War,

2. It was a night of tributes

Live tucked "Audioslave" into its set, with lead singer Ed Kowalczyk giving a shout out to "songs given to us by Chris Cornell," who died of suicide earlier this year. GNR's Duff McKagan has a Prince symbol on his bass and was wearing a Motorhead shirt (a tribute to Lemmy, perhaps). And in another nod to Cornell, GNR covered Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun" with Axl nailing Cornell's part like his life depended on it.

Rock has lost some great frontmen who shared time and space with Live and Guns N Roses, from Slash's bandmate Scott Weiland (Velvet Revolver) to Cornell to Linkin Park's Chester Bennington, who died just a week before the band was to play Hershey in July (and with whom Slash has also performed).

3. Axl's pipes

I don't know what I was expecting. I've seen a lot of really bad videos of Axl Rose performances since "Use Your Illusion II," after which I pretty much dropped out of GNR. And while Axl every so often softened the falsetto to something reminiscent of Robin Williams in "Mrs. Doubtfire," he let it rip on the songs where it really mattered, like in "Sweet Child," stretching the upper ranges and letting loose his signature style.

4. Slash's shredding hasn't changed -- unless it's gotten better

Slash had, at my count, at least 6 guitar changes, including a double. Now, I know I missed some. Those are just the ones I wrote down. He's still as metal as ever, wailing on the guitar, jumping off the percussion platform and wearing a shirt whose word choice I can't repeat.

He teased the audience opening "Welcome to the Jungle," letting that opening fly and hang in the air, before twisting it into a riff and then coming back to that note, while Axl screamed "Do you know where you are?? You're in the jungle, Hershey!"

Then there was the Slash solo, which came after band introductions about two hours into the show. Axl pointed to Slash, saying, "And on guitar," only to be interrupted by a roaring crowd at least three times before being able to say "Slash." Slash went on a tight yet meandering solo jam that included a wild interpretation of "Johnny B. Good" and a bit of the "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" before heading straight into "Sweet Child of Mine."

I just kept thinking, "I'm listening to one of the greatest living guitarists."

5. Axl's still a showman

Sure, he doesn't shimmy like he used to. After all, it's been more than 30 years. But he knows it. Axl gave a sly little smile before that part in "Sweet Child" we all know, that smooth, shoulder-moving wiggle from the 80s, then did a little bit of it to crowd applause.

He changed his shirt about 5 times, at least, from a tame Harley-Davison tee to much, much more suggestive ones. "He's the Lady Gaga of hair metal," said my fellow reviewer, and he was right.

He jumped, ran, skipped backward, spun, held the mic stand high, did the little foot shimmy. All the things you remember Axl doing in the beginning, he still does -- just a little differently.
(Duff is also just as metal as always)

Duff McKagan looked so happy to be performing. During "Live and Let Die," after one of the raucous jams, Duff had a smile on his face that said, "Well, that one felt good."

And his cover of the Misfits "Attitude" had the crowd bouncing.

6. They came to play, and proved it

A few friends and I joked about the early show. "It's probably so they can go home and take their meds and anti-aging cream," we said of the 7:30 start.

The real reason? They wanted to play for 3 hours.

I also wondered about punctuality, since it's not something Axl was known for. But they took the stage at 7:21, started playing at 7:23, tearing into "It's So Easy." (And by 7:24, Axl had already thrown the finger once.)

Two hours in and five shirt changes later, Axl was just introducing the band. They lit into some covers and then finished the long, energetic show with an encore that included an instrumental "Melissa" cover, "Nighttrain," "Don't Cry," "The Seeker" and "Paradise City".

7. It's great to see Live back together

I saw Live in 2000, and it's long been one of my favorite performances. With Ed Kowalczyk back fronting the band, the energy was still there in their 45-minute opening set.

"We're from *expletive* York, Pennsylvania -- right down the highway," Kowalczyk said to the crowd a handful of songs in. "When you get the call to come open for Guns N Roses, that's a pretty cool day."

While in New York, Duff had a strep throat and got advice from Melissa:

That day I had strep throat, so I didn't wanna deal... I had strep throat for like a week and a half out here, which, you know, as a singer is- [...] Is brutal. So I was on steroids and, you know, stuff- [...] Luckily we have Melissa Reese with us and she's a vocal coach. She is such an amazing singer. She sings a lot, and her and I sing a lot of like just duo vocals. So she's like, "Dude, okay, here's what you gotta do." And she's like, coached me through that. [...] She's got it down to exactly, "Here's what's going on physically with your vocal cords and strep is right here and let me look," send flashlight up, "Okay, oh, yeah, okay, don't touch me." You know. [...] You know when you yawn? And you open up the back of your palate? You have to sing... like you sing all the way up there, like yawning, that part in the back of your palate. When you yawning you have to push from the lower abs up to that yawning part. You gotta, like, you know, close your mouth in like you're saying "Ooh" the whole time. When you're sing that, like... She says, "I look at you downstage when you're singing and your mouth is wide, close it up, put your shoulders back," I'm like, "But I got the bass on me." "Yeah, yeah, you're all trying to look cool." "I'm not trying to look cool, I just got my bass on, I'm singing. This is how I've sang for 30 years." "Well, you got to lift your shoulders up and pull them back down"- [...] "And keep your chest up and sing from your lower abs," and blah blah blah.

The show in Montreal was the first time Guns N' Roses with Slash and Duff played there since the infamous show in 1992:

I think there might've been a little bit of a special significance to it, but I gotta say, you know, the fans up there, when they've made it known that, you know, they've always wanted us to come back and always wanted us to play there. And that's the most important thing because that's who it's for and that's why we do it. And we love Montreal, we love the people of Montreal. And as long as I got two legs and can make music, I'm gonna get up there and play for you guys. So that's how we feel.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Mon May 06, 2024 12:26 pm; edited 4 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

REACTIONS TO BOOTLEGS AND RECORDING SHOWS

Before the advent of mobile phones, Guns N' Roses was adamantly against anyone recording or photographing their shows. This was likely mostly Axl's perspective, and would partly lead to the St. Louis riot [see earlier chapter]. Slash, in 1996, seemed to be more relaxed about it.

No, GnR will never allow tapers at their shows if we can help it! But?? Snakepit doesn't care
Netscape Online Chat. July 30, 1996

Obviously, with mobile phones becoming more and more common, it was very hard to prevent audiences taking photos and later recording shows to share and put up on the Internet.

At the same time, as music lovers themselves the band members had owned bootlegs of their favorite artists and realized that bootlegs could be beneficial to artists:

I grew up with bootlegs. There's so many that you can't... I don't now. It's not that big of a deal to me. [...]  I think they're healthy for a band, man! You know you're happening when there's bootlegs out there. [...] I remember we did a sweep of some city, it was so fun to do. Went in all these stores and they just freaked out. (I laugh) They just wanted to... and I went with them, and they wanted just to see how many there were out there. I forget who it was, it was our management or something. We did this sweep, and so I got all these records of us, bootleg records (laughs), and you know, some great packaging! A lot of them are just shit, a lot of them are just a walkman just held inside a coat. So that's a bummer if someone's going to spend that much money, but I think they're healthy for a band and they're healthy for a scene.
Unknown source, September 5, 1996

By 2017, with everyone owning phones capable of high-quality video recording, it had become a nuisance to some artists to see people recording shows on their phones instead of just enjoying the music, and Slash would comment on this:

People just do what they do and the fact that, you know, they can't concentrate on the music, you know, because they have to memorialize this on their... after a while you just sort of... you don't want to make make a huge effort to try and fight it because it's just going against what is the trend at this point. [...] you know, there's some people who, rightfully so, get bent out of shape because, you know, as a musician your putting across this and you want people to actually hear it, it's not just about the experience of being at the event, you know, it's about all the songs and what goes on during your performance and whatnot, and they get really bent out of shape about it. But I just think it's sort of redundant because it is a sign of the times and it's something that people are doing, they have the equipment to do it, they're gonna do it, and if you lose sleep over it you're only, you know, cutting your nose to spite your face.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:50 am

AUGUST 21-SEPTEMBER 8, 2017
THE 2017 NORTH AMERICAN TOUR ENDS

The next shows took place at TD Place Stadium in Ottawa, Canada (August 21), Investors Group Field in Winnipeg, MB, Canada (August 24), Mosaic Stadium in Regina, SK, Canada (August 27), and Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton, AB, Canada (August 30).

August 21, 2017
Crap/Bergeron
August 21, 2017
Ulrich Planer
August 24, 2017
Ulrich Planer
August 27, 2017
Arian Buhler
August 30, 2017
Crap/Bergeron

When travelling from Ottawa to Winnipeg, Duff flew commercial and shared the plane with fans who had been at the show in Ottawa:

[...] you know, there was people that were at the show the night before. [laughs] "Hey, can I get a picture?"

Slash in Ottawa
August 21, 2017
Richard in Winnipeg
August 24, 2017
Frank in Regina
August 27, 2017
Richard and Axl in Edmonton
August 30, 2017

Review of the show in Ottawa by Jean-Frederic Vachon writing for Diary of a Music Addict blog on August 24:

A mere 48 after witnessing Guns N’ Roses in Montreal, I was ready to go another round, this time in Ottawa. Would the show be as good?

The band played almost the same setlist, simply swapping out “New Rose” to replace “Attitude”. Again, they were slightly ahead of the announced 7:30 show time, certainly not something we’re used to with this band! The band launched, or maybe I should say exploded into “It’s So Easy” to kick things off. If I felt they’d needed a few songs to really get cooking in Montreal, that wasn’t the case now: they were on! Being up close to the stage this time, I could see the band members were having a blast. Even Axl was smiling all night long.

There’s a human element in music that makes performances unpredictable. It’s not just about playing the notes. and sometimes that human element takes the music to a higher level. This is the state the band was in on Monday, as they tore through their set of classic tracks, deep cuts and covers, all performed flawlessly with the passion and fire that made this band huge.

Slash was burning up the fretboard, whether jamming with second guitarist Richard Fortus or playing those classic solos. Duff McKagan laid down the bass, looking cool as ever. And Axl Rose was running around the stage all night, hitting those crazy notes and screaming his ass off.

As in Montreal, the only weak point was “Better” from the much maligned “Chinese Democracy”, but the title track and a vocal showcase “This I Love” from the same album fared much better, with Slash and Duff putting their mark on the newer songs. Also, seeing them cover AC/DC’s “Whole Lotta Rosie” with all the swagger the band can bring was worth the admission by itself.

It was my third show on the “Not in This Lifetime” tour, and I can honestly say that not only was it the best of the three, but it was one of the best concerts I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen a lot. It’s easy to be cynical about a reunion tour like this, after years of acrimony between the band members, but when the results are this good, who cares. Let’s just hope they have some new music in them.

Opening the evening was “Our Lady Peace”, who seemed more on than they were in Montreal too. Great show from them too.

At the show in Edmonton the band debuted a new cover, Glen Campbell's Wichita Lineman. Campbell had passed away on August 8.

Okay, we're gonna try something we've never played before, and it might not be your favorite. It is just kinda pay a tribute to someone. And it is not what you think.
Commonwealth Stadium, Edmonton, AB, Canada, August 30, 2017

You know the Glen Campbell song - which I love playing - you know, but he passed and Axl said, "Can you guys learn that song?" So it was backstage before a gig one night in North Carolina. So such a strange guitar-wise song. And we played it, I think, man, maybe that night or the next night. And it just kind of remained in our setlist. It's a nice spot for him to breathe and it's a cool showcase of his mid range voice, I think. It's great.

The band continued to BC Place Stadium in Vancouver, BC, Canada (September 1), The Gorge Amphitheatre in George, WA, USA (September 3), Sun Bowl in El Paso, TX, USA (September 6), before ending the tour at the Alamodome in San Antonio, TX, USA (September 8).

September 1, 2017
Arian Buhler
September 3, 2017
Ulrich Planer
September 6, 2017
Timothy Lenoir
September 8, 2017
Timothy Lenoir

Richard in Vancouver
September 1, 2017
Audience in George
September 3, 2017
Slash in El Paso
September 6, 2017
Dizzy in El Paso
September 6, 2017
Duff in San Antonio
September 8, 2017

After the show in her home state Washington, Melissa posted:

Well...... Abt last night.... #Gorge / #seattle / #HOME !!!!!! My heart just purrrrrrrs when I think abt the unreal opportunity, experience and honor it was to play in front of the fans in my home state. I adore you and felt so much fucking love.... If I could capture the feeling of seeing all your smiling faces singing ur hearts out and riding with us, I would never ever let it go.... My deepest #thanks to everyone that came (some of u have literally known me since before I was born, when I was in diapers, or just after....) Others since we were kids, and for most of the crowd (as always) I'm the new girl in the band (tho it's already been a year and a half #WTF?!?!?).... In any case, I thank you all so much for even giving me a shot at winning ur hearts and earning my spot up on stage with these #icons.... It's not lost on me because I *am* one of you. I love this music, I love my bandmates (and our incredible crew who works so so hard so we can do our thing out there), and know l am just sf #blessed to do what I do...... #ThankYou is on loop. AndThoughSheBeButLittleSheIsFierce
Instagram, September 4, 2017

Official recap of the North American tour in the fall of 2017:

Last edited by Soulmonster on Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:50 am

THE "REUNION" BAND MEMBERS TALKING ABOUT EACH OTHER

MELISSA

And then there's another auxiliary keyboard player named Melissa Reese, who is new. And she does great. She's awesome.

She’s just got a phenomenal voice, and also got classical training on keyboards and piano. Having her on the other side of the stage, knowing she’s making us sound better, is a pleasure. She gets along with everybody great, and when you’re on tour with somebody, you’re around each other all the time… So you have to have the right personality to fit in, and it’s not an easy thing. People who can’t do that don’t last long in the business, and she does. She’s incredible, fun to be around and just so talented. She adds to the overall scheme of everything, and she’s got a modern take on things too,

[...] and adding Melissa in, she is wonderful in so many different aspects. Her backup vocals especially. I sing a lot and her and I sing together. So that’s a whole another trip, her discipline, singing backups to Axl. A lot of falsetto. [I sing] a lot of backup vocals so her and I were working on all of that stuff, so she’s kind of invaluable when it comes to that. All the stuff she does – God knows all the stuff she does over there.

SLASH

I’ve a lot in common with Slash. He feels like a kindred spirit and we relate on many musical levels. I’ve a lot of respect for him as a musician and have a blast playing with him. The greatest thing about him is that he’s constantly stretching out. He’s trying new things. Every night, he plays differently and is always reaching for new heights. He’s very inspiring to play with.

I love playing with him. You know, man, it's so cool that I get to listen to him every night, because he plays different every night. Like his solos, completely different every night and that's just so inspirational to me. Like what we do on Wish You Were Here, it's different every night. You know, he never repeats himself. I mean, there's certain themes that we will play. But, I mean, generally a lot of times like bands get caught up in doing the same solos and doing it every night, you know - and there's some stuff like that, you know, he's written solos from Appetite that you have to play - but, man it's so much fun to be able to listen to him play and to be able to play back and forth because we push each other, you know, and it's a really great thing, I love it.

Slash is a man of few words. He doesn't really need to talk, but it all comes out. I have played with him for a long time, and sometimes that's the only way we communicate. I don't know where it comes from with him, he won't even talk about it. We've been through so much together, ups and downs and sideways. We've stayed in a trusting place. I know if something happens with one of my kids, I can call him and he'll be there. I could write a book on that fucking guy. But then I could just use two words — badass motherfucker.

There's a reason that Slash is a legend. As a guitarist, the players that I always held in the highest regard are those that took chances. Those that stretched out every night and never played the same thing twice. Hendrix, Beck, Van Halen — those guys kept pushing and stretching their limits on a nightly basis. Slash is exactly that. I have the incredible good fortune of being able to listen to him nightly and stand inches from him, and have a musical conversation with him. He's definitely made me a better musician.

Slash really likes candy, like me. He likes horror. He has a quiet confidence and he’s an incredible and moving musician. He speaks with his guitar, loves what he does and is really fun to be on stage with.

All he does is play guitar all day long. He gets up, goes to the gym, and just starts playing guitar all the way up to the gig and then plays the guitar… He gets so lost sometimes… We have this part of the set where he does a guitar solo — it's just him on stage — and he gets lost in himself, lost in what he's doing. That's his purest form of communication. He'd sit down and talk to you and talk for a while, but he's a man of few words, and his words are all through his guitar. And there's times his guitar solo will just keep going, and I don't wanna stop him. The cue is when we come out on stage and start playing this thing, and then he'll come back. 'Come back to us, Slash.'… Sometimes [he'll play] for 20, 25 minutes. [We] just let him go. And he carries a crowd of 50,000 people all along his journey; it's not just this guitar solo.

AXL

But, I mean, of course he's an influence on me, but I want to make it clear, I cannot sing as good as he can, not even close. I could never hit those notes. He's the hardest working person, you know, nobody works harder than he does and it's just amazing night after night.

He’s a great person. He’s one of the funniest people I know. Every night before we go on stage, he comes up and he’ll have a joke – and it’s usually a good one. And nobody works harder than that guy. He’s always misrepresented in the press. It’s kinda sad, really, what some people come up with just to sell things.

3 ½ hours sets and he was... amazing, in like, every single show. So he was, he was... It was really cool to watch him do it.

There was a rumour going round that we gave him an ultimatum, but actually Axl showed up on time from rehearsals onward. It’s a trip for me because we had a lot of issues with that back in the Nineties, but he came in so professional and in great spirits, even after he broke his foot and did the first two shows in a chair.

[Being asked about the greatest lead singer ever] I’d have to give it to Mick Jagger and James Brown, and I know they’re very much related, but both those guys were so committed. And then Michael [Jackson]. Axl [Rose] is one of the best frontmen of all time too. They’re so committed to the show and so aware of how important that dynamic is.

Oh man. Axl is THE best. I owe him so much. He’s a fucking icon, an amazing singer, and musician. He has the most soul-piercing, quintessential voice of our time, and he is a TRUE artist in every sense. He’s fiercely loyal and really funny. The first time I met him was at the House of Blues a long time ago, I was really intimidated because his presence is so powerful.

I had a lot of respect for us as a band as I was pre-rehearsing all this stuff [before the 'Not In This Lifetime' reunion tour]. And then when Axl came in to rehearse, and then when we played our shows… What he's done to his voice... The first time I saw him sing… I was this punk rock kid from Seattle, and I saw him in late '84. And he was like [Henry] Rollins — he had the intensity of Rollins, but he could sing. He had this dual-voice thing — he'd do a low and a high thing at once. Sure, he was born with certain gifts, singing-wise, but he works his ass off. He was doing vocal lessons, he was doing vocal warm-ups, warm-downs back then. And nowadays, when we go out and play, he starts his vocal warm-ups… He does an hour and a half of pure vocal warm-ups. And then we play three, three and a half hours. But the guy has become a master.

FRANK

Well, no, he doesn’t play like either of those guys [=Steven and Matt], but he’s been doing it for longer than I was ever in the band [laughs]. So he’s got his thing on lock, yeah.

Frank is basically family. I adore him. He’s so amazing and talented. And he’s so open. There’s so much love he brings to his drumming and you feel it. That is something very special about him.

Frank [Ferrer, current GNR drum­mer] is a big, solid drummer. He’s got some real nice pocket, but every drummer is so dif­ferent. Some of them don’t play with a click ever, and some play with a click always, and some just use a click for tempo at the be­ginning or somewhere in the middle of the song. Frank uses a click in really cool places. Like, we’ll have to slow down for a bridge, and sometimes you’ll feel the song really pull back, because you get excited when you’re playing, and sometimes you speed shit up. And he’ll be like a marshal — he’ll marshal that and really pull us back.

Frank is a great drummer [...].

RICHARD

Richard has got a great sensibility. He’s very much a rock & roll guitar player, but technically, he’s an amazing guitar player. He’s very rooted in the kind of rock guitar we were all influenced by. So it makes him very, very easy to work with. He’s not going through the motions, he’s not posing, you know, so to speak. So, that’s how that works.

He's extremely versatile. He's super talented. He looks cool as hell and you know, he's easy to get along with.

He and I complement each other really well. I think Rich has brought out some of my best guitar playing, just playing with him, because he's so accomplished technically and all that. We wanted to get it focused more in a feel for what Appetite really sounded like. We just slowly but surely evolved into something that captured that but still seems new and fresh.

Sit me down with a guitar by myself and I might not know what I’m doing or find things that will impress people. It tends to be within the context of the music I play over that allows me to go places. Richard is a really cool player in that he has this technical ability that means he can sit there with a guitar and play a lot of amazing stuff that’s still very emotive.

It’s one of the reasons why when Guns N’ Roses started back up, I really leaned towards playing with him. Because there were a couple of other guys who used to be in the band too that were being considered, but I jammed with Richard because he was the first guy there and I knew he was fuckin’ great. He helps me out because we do a lot of soloing off each other.

When he’s doing his own cool stuff, it pushes me into doing something different that’s the exact opposite. And vice versa, sometimes I’ll go for something really fast and he’ll do something bluesy to counteract that. It’s a good natural relationship. We never sat down to work things out; that’s generally how I like to work with other guitarists… it’s all I’ve ever done. It’s nice that we can pick off each other’s feel.

But, you know, we hit it off as soon as we met and then playing wise, he's really... let's see, like, he's technically gifted but he has his roots are all real old school rock'n'roll roots and so that's immediately how we related. And we just have... It's just something that happened very naturally and we got really comfortable immediately. And he's great. And I think he makes me a better guitar player in the context of Guns N' Roses for sure, because he's that good a player. So you have to sort of stay on your toes jamming with him, you know.

Richard’s great. I don’t know all of the guys that played guitar with Guns prior to my coming back. I hadn’t met any of them. Richard was the first one at rehearsal, and we hit it off automatically. He’s one of those guys who is an amazing technician. He’s very knowledgable about guitar techniques, and all kinds of shit guitar. He’s rooted in the same kind of rock guitar and influences that I am, so we speak the same language. So, all in all, working with Richard was really a sort of boon for me, because I was doing my thing, and he was doing, on his side, covering it all and also sort of pushing me as a guitar player at the same time. So it's definitely one of those beneficial relationships that we established really early…. It's almost like it was… What's the best way to put it? It's sort of a 'meant to be' kind of thing, because if it would have been somebody else, it might not have worked. But it just happened to work perfectly from the moment I walked in.

Richard works out a lot, like Duff. He’s an extremely technically proficient guitar player. He can play anything which is incredible to see and be around. He is also super fun to be on stage with.

Richard is ridiculous. Great player, great rhythm guitar player [...].

DUFF

Duff and I are both from Seattle so we have a lot in common. We’re crazy Seahawks fans. We like to get a group of fans in the band or crew together and watch the NFL sports package before shows when we can with our jerseys on! He’s awesome. An amazing dude. really supportive, really smart, and most of all–one BAD - ASS bass icon and overall musician.

DIZZY

I was afraid of him the first time I saw him. He looked like Jesus! But he’s one of my favorite people. We talk a lot of shit about football. He’s so important to me, so supportive, so positive and so funny. I love him to death. The dude is so committed to his craft, and can play his ASS off because of it.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Thu May 09, 2024 2:41 pm; edited 19 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:51 am

SEPTEMBER 23-OCTOBER 1, 2017
THE 2017 SOUTH AMERICAN TOUR

After the conclusion of the North American tour on September 8, the band had a few weeks pause before kicking it off again with four shows in South America, opening with a return to Rock in Rio at Parque Olímpico in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (September 23). The band then continued to São Paulo Trip, Allianz Parque in São Paulo, Brazil (September 26), and toStgo Rock City, Estadio Monumental in Santiago, Chile (September 29) where they co-headlined the festival with The Who, before their final show at Estadio Ciudad de La Plata in La Plata, Argentina (October 1) where they also headlined with The Who.

September 26, 2017
Ulrich Planer
September 29, 2017
Ulrich Planer
October 1, 2017
Ulrich Planer

Duff and Axl at Rock In Rio
September 23, 2017
Axl in São Paulo
September 26, 2017
Slash in São Paulo
September 26, 2017
Axl in Santiago
September 29, 2017
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:51 am

2016-TODAY
SLASH'S PERSONAL LIFE AFTER REJOINING GUNS N' ROSES

My daily routine is basically get up, drink coffee, check emails, maybe go to the gym, and do whatever it is needs to get done that day. Nothing strange. Sound check and then the gig.

-------------------------
In March 2018 it was reported that Slash had received a temporary restraining order against a man who had on a couple of occasions tried to enter his home [TMZ, March 12, 2018].

GUITARS

Being asked how many guitars he owned:

Roughly around 200. More than 200 less than 300.

DINOSAURS

A certain 70 percent of all boys love dinosaurs, but outgrow this phase. That just didn't happen for me. Which probably has something to do with the monster factor. I read every book about dinosaurs I could get my hands on, drew dinosaurs and studied everything that had to do with them. Basically, I've been studying paleontology since I was four or five years old. I set up Google Alerts for Mesozoic animals and keep up to date on Instagram.

HEALTH & SOBRIETY

Talking about his defibrillator:

[The defibrillator is] still in there, I’ve never taken it out. The battery ran out a long time ago, but my heart came back to normal. They could take it out, but they would have to detach the leads to it, which are attached to my heart which is more of a risk than just leaving it in there.

And looking back at his period of addiction and getting clean:

In the 90s when I left Guns N’ Roses I was just sort of out there. I was drinking myself to death, I was out playing all over the place, I had no real direction I was going or any real concrete idea as to what I was going to be doing for any predetermined amount of time. It was very excessive. I’d left my band, I was getting divorced, I was going through all this s**t. I had record company issues. It was really classic rock’n’roll life – the bad side. From 1985 up until 1994, I had been under the wing of [record company] Geffen, everything was great. Guns got to be the biggest band in the world. That was all great. When I left I left all that security behind and went through all this crazy s**t. And I drank myself through it, I did drugs through it and it was just like, textbook almost. [...] Velvet Revolver started and just because of the nature of the band – and it’s my own fault – but within that context it was easy to do. I got completely strung out again and at that point I realised there was nothing about being strung out that reminded me of anything like when I first started doing drugs. It was pretty miserable. And then after that, with alcohol, nothing was doing it for me and I decided I had to stop. I had two kids and I was living in a hotel because I couldn’t be around them. It all sort of came to a head and I thought I needed to go to some sort of facility and just get away from everybody for a month and I’ll clean up.

PRODUCING HORROR MOVIES

Slash continued his horror movie business and in mid-2018 he had four movies in production:

I've got four movies in different stages of development, and two that I just did deals on. They're all in the horror vein — thriller and horror vein. It's a very slow-moving animal, this whole movie thing. The whole time behind the scenes, I've been working on this while I'm doing everything else. I just don't talk about it too much, because there's nothing to tell until you have a release date. [Laughs]

I'm working on four right now. They're in different states of development. I've got two that I just signed deals on, so I'm really happy about that, and then the other two will hopefully not be far behind.

And update from late in 2018:

I’ve got a couple of film productions that are finally looking for production dates. I can’t say what they are at the moment. But I did just close a deal on a Stephen King story called Little Green God Of Agony, which looks like it should be going into production at some point next year or maybe the year after that.

His love for everything horror also made him create a 7-song instrumental soundtrack to Universal Studios Hollywood's monster maze called Universal Monsters Maze Sounddtrack [Press release, October 18, 2018].

As a fan of horror movies and of ‘Halloween Horror Nights,’ I jumped at the chance to once again collaborate with Universal Studios Hollywood to produce a soundtrack for the maze. Similar to the way music affects a film, I wanted to compose a score for the legions of infamous characters featured in the maze to elicit a greater sense of terror. In the end, the goal was to ultimately make the guests feel as if they are playing an integral role in a classic Monster movie.

MARCH 17, 2017: SLASH AND STEVEN PLAY TOGETHER WITH JOHN 5 AND THE CREATURES

On March 17, Slash and Steven would play together again at a John 5 and The Creatures concert at the Whisky in Hollywood [Blabbermouth, March 18, 2017].

Slash, Rob Zombie, John 5, Steven
March 17, 2017

SLASH STILL KEEPS HIMSELF BUSY

Keeping himself continuously busy had always been important to Slash, especially after getting sober [see earlier chapters] and this continued after rejoining Guns N' Roses. After the end of touring in 2017:

I basically just went straight back to work. That's the only way I can survive getting off the road, is to go straight to work, cause otherwise- [...] I think, well, like "You should take a vacation," it's like every time I've ever attempted the actual vacation thing, you know, like two days into it and you stretch your legs for a minute and then you're going nuts, like, what you have to like, "How many more days left of this? We're stuck here."

And why he keeps being active, talking about how touring kept him clean:

Well, no, it was hard you had to kick in order to do it but the motivation was there to just get it together to go on the road, because that's what I wanted to be doing. I was at my weakest - since we were talking about when the tour would end - and then I just wouldn't, you know, trying to wind down from all that adrenaline and, you know, all that traveling and playing every night and this and that, there's so much going on and then you come home and just sit there and like the most exciting thing you have to really look forward to is going to the market and there's just domesticity- [...] And so, you know, over the years so now when I get off the road I just go straight to work to keep myself from good falling into that trap.

In 2018 he was asked directly if keeping busy kept him clean from drugs, or if he was beyond that point now where that was needed:

Yeah, no, I haven’t had a problem with that. I’ve been really fortunate that I finally got to that point where I was just over it. And I haven’t had an issue since then. I haven’t had the desire to go back and do that.

JUNE-SEPTEMBER 2018: FINALIZING THE DIVORCE WITH PERLA AND THEIR RELATIONSHIP AFTER

As discussed in a previous chapter, Slash had filed for divorce from Perla in December of 2014. The negotiations had continued since then and in June 2018 Slash had proposed a settlement deal to finalize the proceedings:

According to Slash’s proposed deal, Perla maintains primary custody of the couple’s two children and Slash and her will share joint legal custody. Slash will be required to pay $39,000 per month in child support and the children will also collect 1.8% of Slash’s income until the year 2036.

He also agreed to pay Perla $100,000 per month in spousal support until death or remarriage. The support pales in comparison to the $6,627,352 equalization payment the rocker will be required to pay within 30 days of the judgement getting signed off.

Slash got to keep some important stuff, like all his interest in Guns ‘N Roses and his other companies, all his trademarks and residuals and a slew of fully-loaded bank accounts.

He also gets his entire collection of guitars and instruments, along with a 2011 Ford F-150.

The former couple each bought new houses, so they don’t have to worry about selling off any property, but Perla will also get to keep another home in Los Angeles.

She made out big in the auto department, getting a 2014 Range Rover, 2015 Mercedes AMG and a 2015 Mercedes Benz GL 450.

Slash also listed his monthly income, which towers at $345,000 per month. Perla hasn’t filed hers yet, but Slash is adamant that he does not need to see it and would just like the judgement entered ASAP.

Slash would comment on the proposal:

Perla has been slow responding, or has deliberately drawn out responding, throughout this matter. I want to move on with my life.

In late July 2018, TMZ would report that Perla had filed documents to the divorce court showing "over hundreds of Instagram posts that reference private family info" [TMZ, July 31, 2018]. According to Perla, the Instagram posts came from someone close to Slash, and she would imply Meegan Hodges were behind the account, and that the posts would claim Perla was an "unfit mother and child abuser" [TMZ, July 31, 2018]. Furthermore, Perla would say that after confronting Slash with the account and arguing that it must be controlled by someone with "private direct access to the Hudson family", the Instagram posts had been deleted [TMZ, July 31, 2018].

In August, in legal filings, Slash's legal team would claim that that Perla "continues to drag her feet" on finalizing the case and that Slash would help her find out who was behind the Instagram account if she would finalize the divorce, whereas Perla's legal counsel would claim that Slash was not being transparent about his wealth [The Blast, August 24, 2018; TMZ, August 30, 2018].

In September, Slash and Perla finally settled with a deal where Slash would pay Perla $6.6 million plus an monthly alimony of $100,000 as well as child support of a total of $78,000 plus 1.8% of his income until 2036 [TMZ, September 4, 2018; The Blast, September 4, 2018; New York Daly News, September 5, 2018].

Despite having finally concluded on the divorce proceedings, the relationship between Slash and Perla was not good. In October TMZ reported that Slash had banned Perla from attending one of his shows where their son London would open with his band Classless Act [TMZ, October 15, 2018] and Perla on her side celebrated the divorce with a Divorce Party with "a special cake baked for the occasion which read 'happy new beginnings in frosting, featuring a solo bride blowing a kiss on top, while a guitar-wielding Slash figurine lay crushed between the layers" [Daily Mail, October 16, 2018; TMZ, October 16, 2018].

In early 2019, Perla would auction off "exotic and erotic" items from her marriage with Slash and what was refereed to as her "uncoupling auction" [Associated Press, April 4, 2019; Rolling Stone, April 6, 2019]. The items included clothes, furniture, a guitar pedal, and love letters [Daily Mail, April 4, 2019; Blabbermouth, April 4, 2018; Rolling Stone, April 6, 2019].

Last edited by Soulmonster on Thu May 02, 2024 7:56 am; edited 16 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:52 am

OCTOBER 8-23, 2017
THE SECOND 2017 NORTH AMERICAN TOUR BEGINS

After their short little leg in South America, the band returned to the USA to continue the North American tour, with the first stop at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, PA, USA (October 8), before the first show at Madison Square Garden in New York, NY, USA (October 11), then unto Prudential Center in Newark, NJ, USA (October 12).

October 8, 2017
Ulrich Planer
October 11, 2017
Arian Buhler
October 12, 2017
A.J. Fichera

For the first show at Madison Square Garden, P!nk would join the band to sing with Axl on Patience.

Richard in Philadelphia
October 8, 2017
Axl and P!nk at Madison Square Garden
October 11, 2017
Axl and Slash at Madison Square Garden
October 11, 2017
Duff in Newark
October 12, 2017
The band in Newark
October 12, 2017

Review of the first show at Madison Square Garden by Sachyn Mital writing for Pop Matters on October 24:

Guns N’ Roses Are Locked and Loaded for ‘Not in This Lifetime’

Guns N’ Roses’ “Not in this Lifetime” Tour offers what few people expected from the band, a reunion (of sorts). The band’s star is, and always has been, Axl Rose, but he’s fronted various band members in incarnations of the group since at least the early 2000s.

But in 2016, it was announced that guitarist Slash and bassist Duff McKagan would rejoin Rose on the road despite any past conflicts with Rose. Other original members, guitarist Izzy Stradlin and drummer Steven Adler, are not on this tour but Dizzy Reed, who was with the band since the ’90s, is here on keys as is Melissa Reese and also guitarist Richard Fortus.

At the first of three Madison Square Garden shows, Guns N’ Roses was pitch perfect over the course of a three-hour performance. With no opener, the band ripped into “It’s So Easy” and “Mr. Brownstone”, classics from Appetite for Destruction before dipping into the forgettable “Chinese Democracy” and then back to Appetite for “Welcome to the Jungle”. It was a powerful opening that had the audience riveted.

There were lulls in the show too — namely the Chinese Democracy tracks — but for a set this long, and being the first time seeing the band myself, I wasn’t concerned. What was notable was that, when Rose stepped off the stage at various points in the night, Slash and the other guitarists carried the evening. Rose often returned sporting a different colored flannel around his waist than he had left wearing.

While I had some hesitation towards seeing this classic group from my childhood on tour initially, given all the past issues with the band, I am genuinely pleased for having attended the show. Rose and Slash looked to be enjoying each other’s company on the road. And I was pretty happy with Pink’s surprise appearance for the last verse or so of “Patience”. But even without the personalities, Guns N’ Roses’ music gripped my attention like pangs of hunger. Even after three hours, I wanted more. More “Live and Let Die” (which I had heard Paul McCartney do in the same venue not so long ago, but with more pyrotechnics), more “Civil War”, more “Sweet Child o’ Mine” and more “Paradise City”. Let’s hope the band just holds together and can keep offering more.

Then the band did two shows at Madison Square Garden in New York, NY, USA  (October 15 and 16), before heading to Capital One Arena in Washington, DC, USA (October 19), TD Garden in Boston, MA, USA (October 22), and then to XL Center in Hartford, CT, USA (October 23).  

October 15, 2017
Arian Buhler
October 16, 2017
Arian Buhler
October 19, 2017
Ulrich Planer
October 22, 2017
Timothy Lenoir
October 23, 2017
Timothy Lenoir

Richard at Madison Square Garden
October 16, 2017
Duff in Washington, DC
October 19, 2017
Dizzy in Boston
October 22, 2017
Duff and Slash, Hartford
October 23, 2017
Dizzy in Hartford
October 23, 2017

Last edited by Soulmonster on Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:52 am

TEAM BRAZIL VERSUS THE FANS

After Team Brazil took over management responsibilities, the relationship between parts of the fan base and management deteriorated. An example is when Fernando Lebeis in 2018 chastised "some " of the fans for being "clueless" and spreading thrash:

Did some light reading on some forums today, funny how some of you are so clueless, yet speak from a standpoint of assumption and spread the trash you call ‘your opinion’ as fact in your little community.
Twitter, May 17, 2018

This resulted in backlash from fans [NME, May 17, 2018] and some of the resulting tweets between Fernando Lebeis and fans on Twitter can be seen in the image below.

The next day, Fernando would visit Mygrnforum to talk directly to answer fans and  explain his tweet:

Some of the persons here understood my tweet, the rest didn't and it kind of sucks.  I did not tweet to start a war, but to solely raise concern. Coming to a forum or answering questions etc, just doesn't work because me typing in a forum becomes news and shines a different light on the band and sets too many ways for the band to "fail" in the eyes of the unknown persons in the world that doesn't truly understand our little world.  I respect the die hard fan(s), they are the first to arrive and last to leave. I sympathize and help at every turn to every fan, the dedicated 24/7 fan to the fan that came to see GNR for the first time. (let's see how many people take me saying "I respect..." as ammunition to paint me out to be a person of narcissistic tendencies.) [...] I do apologize for the number of fans within all communities that failed to understand my tweet and automatically assumed being personally attacked.

Fernando would also call for unity between management and the fans:

It's not taking it to heart, it's just such a downer to read such hatred directed at people I know, love and respect; based on misinformation.  It isn't right and as you say, we are a tight community that loves the band, then we should remain strong together and fix issues with creativity and productivity versus name calling and tossing shit everywhere.  shit's not cool! haha

A few days later, Alan Niven would chime in and argue that Fernando is out of his depths as manager of Guns N' Roses:

And to be fair to Fernando, look, we all have to start somewhere and one of the reasons that I chose to live in America and worked hard to get here and stay here was that the nation has a sense of meritocracy, and the country that I was brought up in - I was actually born in New Zealand but I was raised in England - there is still this overlap of unseemly feudalism and we just saw it with the wedding and it's wonderful pageantry etc etc etc.[...] And I said we all have to start somewhere and that's why I wanted to make my point about believing in meritocracy. That if you have talent and you have drive that you can rise up. But I've got to say from what I can see I think Fernando's out of his depths. The way that the tour is rolled out, his recent comments, I think the poor guy is probably somewhere where, you know, it's more than you should ask of him. You know, his mom was Stephanie Seymour's maid. One thing I would say is obviously Beta and her family have created a domestic sanctuary for Axl that has worked for him and they've done a brilliant job in that. Are they the right people to be running a tour of this size? I think that's open for discussion and debate. You know, perhaps, you know, perhaps I'm being unfair because if I recognize Fernando's out of his depths I shouldn't criticize him and maybe I should just say, "Sorry, Fernando, didn't mean it."

THE YOUTUBE TAKEDOWNS

In 2018 YouTube videos featuring Guns N' Roses related content was taken down by YouTube after someone who claimed to operate on behalf of the band had reported them for copyright infringements [GN'R Central, August 3, 2018; Alternative Nation, August 3, 2018]. Some creators of GN'R related content allegedly also experienced being threatened [GN'R Central, August 3, 2018; Alternative Nation, August 3, 2018]. This lead to fans reaching out to the band and management in an attempt to inform them of what was happening and to understand the band or management's role, if any.

The only immediate reaction came from Del James who initially dismissed the concern as "personal message board drama":

When I first replied without knowing much other than the question posed and the link to a message board post, I assumed someone got a "cease & desist" letter and that was interpreted as a threat. Now it's starting to sound more like personal message board drama.
Twitter, August 2, 2018

Del would express concern over the threats:

I am not fully aware of the situation, & again to be perfectly honest, not particularly interested about bootlegs but the part about people's families being threatened is disturbing.

Who is making these threats and what exactly are they saying? Pls clarify
Twitter, August 2, 2018

And then suggest that whoever was causing the videos to be taken down might be lying about his connection to the band:

And did it ever occur to you that possibly this online bully who is part of "your community" is lying about his or her connection to GNR?

The internet is a strange place. Lots of liars, obsessives, psychos, bullshit artists, and fake accounts.
Twitter, August 2, 2018

Without knowing exactly how, my guess would b someone goes 2 youtube & claims to work for someone (Elvis for example). If they have enuff information about (Elvis Inc.) & can bullshit youtube enough into believing they r legit, then they can report illegal/unauthorized material.
Twitter, August 2, 2018

Last edited by Soulmonster on Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:53 am

OCTOBER 26-NOVEMBER 10, 2017
THE NORTH AMERICAN TOUR CONTINUES

The tour continued to Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, OH, USA (October 26), before two shows at Air Canada Centre in Toronto, ON, Canada (October 29 and 30), and then returning to the US for a show at Little Caesars Arena in Detroit, MI, USA (November 2).

October 26, 2017
Timothy Lenoir
October 29, 2017
Crap/Bergenon
October 30, 2017
Crap/Bergenon
November 2, 2017
Arian Buhler

Slash in Cleveland
October 26, 2017
The band in Cleveland
October 26, 2017
Axl in Toronto
October 29, 2017
Duff and Frank in Toronto
October 29, 2017
Slash in Toronto
October 30, 2017

Review of the show in Cleveland by Matthew Wilkening writing for Ultimate Classic Rock on October 31:

Guns N’ Roses Refuse to Coast in Cleveland: Concert Review

It has now been more than 18 months since Guns N' Roses welcomed Slash and Duff McKagan back into the group. Since then, the Not in This Lifetime tour has circled the globe, garnering almost universally positive reviews and earning somewhere just shy of a gazillion dollars.

To the surprise of some critics, there's also been zero drama and only one delayed show -- and the blame for that went to the weather, not Axl Rose. Even the initial fuss over the absence of founding members Stephen Adler and Izzy Stradlin has completely dissipated.

The tour's most recent leg is set to end in just about a month. But judging from their sold-out show Oct. 26 in Cleveland, Guns N' Roses have no intention of coasting to the finish line. Their April 8, 2016, opening night set list featured an already impressive 23 songs. In Cleveland, we got 32 -- including the particularly noteworthy cover of Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun" the band started playing nightly following the death of Chris Cornell. (Speaking of tributes to departed musicians, it's cool to see McKagan hasn't removed Prince's symbol from his bass.)

While the set-list shape has remained largely the same for the whole tour, nothing feels canned or stale. There's room for some creative detours -- such as Slash's riff-tastic introduction to "Double Talkin' Jive," or the extended, and especially dramatic, mid-song interlude in "Coma."

The expanded set list has made room for more Chinese Democracy songs, many of which -- like the somewhat slow-building (but oh-so-worth-it) "Better" and the ornate "This I Love" -- deserved a little more love from the audience.

The large number of covers the band has woven in among their originals serve as a shorthand history of rock itself, with Pink Floyd, Paul McCartney, Chuck Berry, Jimmy Webb, the Misfits, Eric Clapton, Alice Cooper, Bob Dylan and the Who all receiving musical acknowledgements at one point or another. (AC/DC's "Whole Lotta Rosie" has been turning up at many of the shows as well.)

It's particularly ballsy of Rose to lead the band through one of the most famous codas of all time, the one that caps Derek and the Dominoes' "Layla," right before playing his own contribution to that list, "November Rain."

Although Rose, Slash and Duff understandably command the most attention from the crowd, longtime keyboardist Dizzy Reed and relative newcomers Melissa Reese, drummer Frank Ferrer and guitarist Richard Fortus are clearly important and fully integrated parts of the group by now. (And a big part of why the Stradlin and Adler talk has gone away.) Fortus, in particular, made the most of each and every one of his solo spotlight moments.

As the nearly three-and-a-half-hour show concluded with a powerful "Paradise City," the only questions left to ask in regards to Guns N' Roses were obvious, if a little greedy: What's next? And how fun would it be to hear what this version of the group could do in the studio?

The next shows took place at KFC Yum! Center in Louisville, KY, USA (November 3), United Center in Chicago, IL, USA [November 6), BMO Harris Bradley Center in Milwaukee, WI, USA (November 7), and Toyota Center in Houston, TX, USA (November 10).

November 3, 2017
Lenoir/West
November 6, 2017
Ulrich Planer
November 7, 2017
Ulrich Planer
November 10, 2017
Ulrich Planer

At the show in Houston, ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons joined the band for Patience.

Richard in Louisville
November 3, 2017
Axl and Slash in Chicago
November 6, 2017
Richard in Milwaukee
November 7, 2017
Axl and Gibbons in Houston
November 10, 2017

Review of the show in Houston by Clint Hale writing for Houston Press on November 11:

Guns N' Roses Prove Rock Isn't Dead Just Yet

I saw something I never thought I’d see again on Friday night, along with something I never thought I’d see at all. Let’s start with the latter …

By the time Guns N’ Roses’ commercial peak had come and gone, I was not yet a teenager, so seeing the band live and in person was never something I entertained. And considering the acrimonious mid-'90s breakup, coupled with the egos and personalities involved, seeing a GNR concert was something that never really got added to the bucket list because, well, it didn’t even seem realistic.

Fortunately, original members Axl Rose, Slash and Duff McKagan (Izzy Stradlin and Steven Adler are not currently touring) decided to bury the hatchet a couple of years ago in launching the aptly-titled Not In This Lifetime Tour. The tour has been such a hit that GNR has added extra dates, including a second swing through Houston on Friday night (this particular gig was at Toyota Center; a previous one took place in August 2016 at NRG Stadium).

So, yeah, seeing Axl and Slash together on stage was a sight I, quite frankly, never imagined would be an actual thing again. Now, for the former statement …

I’ve been fortunate enough over the past two decades to see some legit, kickass rock shows. Metallica twice. Ozzfest a few times. Early-era Linkin Park. Scary-era Marilyn Manson. That said, I’m not sure I’ve experienced the blend of professionalism (yep, I said it) and precision coupled with the music that absolutely rocks one’s face off.

Look, Axl Rose as an entertainer hasn’t always been a choir boy. He’s stormed off sets, ranted when things went awry, or just outright no-showed gigs. Call it maturity, a newfound humility; call it what you will, but Axl Rose and crew were in peak form on Friday night before a packed (though somewhat late-arriving) crowd at Toyota Center.

The band arrived on time, stayed late and hit every note that made them the biggest, and most dangerous, band on the planet in the late 80s and early 90s. GNR blasted through more than 25 songs that encompassed more than three hours.

In addition to expected hits like “November Rain” and “Welcome to the Jungle,” GNR even pulled out some deep cuts from the (unfairly) much-maligned Chinese Democracy. Sure, this provided restroom and drink breaks for many in attendance, but for those (like myself) who cop that Chinese Democracy isn’t nearly the trainwreck it’s labeled, Friday night marked a fine chance to catch tracks like “Sorry” and “Madagascar.”

But people came for the hits, and the hits they got. From “Mr. Brownstone” to “Nightrain” to “Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door,” Axl Rose and his incredibly talented bandmates showed why they were once the biggest thing in rock and pop music. Aside from the occasional “Houston Strong,” shout-out, Axl didn’t say much to the crowd, though he was impressed with the Rockets’ victory over LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers on Thursday night at that very same Toyota Center.

The encore was something to behold, particularly GNR bringing out Houston and ZZ Top’s own Billy Gibbons to help along the band’s performance of “Patience.” “Paradise City,” the best anthem GNR ever wrote, closed out the festivities before the seven on-stage band members took a well-deserved bow.

Will we ever get another GNR lap through Houston? It’s tough to tell. This tour appears to be winding down in the next year or so, but it’s not unfathomable GNR mounts another tour in, let’s say, five years. The chords are tight, Axl’s voice has held up well and band members appear to be getting along. It’s GNR as they were meant to be; it’s just good they finally got there.

The Crowd: Pretty much what you’d expect. Mostly folks in their 40s and 50s whose partying primes would have overlapped with GNR’s commercial one. Lot of top hats and tattoos, par for the course when celebrating GNR and bands of its late '80s and early' 90s ilk.

Word to the Wise: I’ll be honest, when examining a venue’s website for showtimes, I typically add about 90 minutes to whatever they say showtime is, taking into account opening acts, stage setups and the like. That would have been a mistake on Friday night. The show was scheduled for 7:30 and began at 7:50. No openers. No delays. It was a very non-GNR-like GNR performance in terms of its punctuality.

Overheard in the Crowd: While waiting in the beer line … “You think they’ll play ‘Sweet Child ‘o Mine?’” Well, when a band empties out its catalog as part of a 200-minute-plus show, you can kinda count on one of its top 3-4 hits being part of the setlist.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next