APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

36. JANUARY-JUNE 2016 - SLASH AND DUFF JOINS GUNS N' ROSES, TOMMY AND CHRIS LEAVES THE BAND, AXL JOINS AC/DC

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

36. JANUARY-JUNE 2016 - SLASH AND DUFF JOINS GUNS N' ROSES, TOMMY AND CHRIS LEAVES THE BAND, AXL JOINS AC/DC - Page 2 Empty Re: 36. JANUARY-JUNE 2016 - SLASH AND DUFF JOINS GUNS N' ROSES, TOMMY AND CHRIS LEAVES THE BAND, AXL JOINS AC/DC

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:34 am

RICHARD AND SLASH TALK ABOUT ARRANGING THE GUITAR PARTS

With the lineup changes in 2016, and Slash rejoining the band, the band returned to a two-guitar set up. Richard would look back at how they had decided who got to play what:

Everybody sort of had their role, I guess, and we would divide it up accordingly. And, I don't know... it changed with every incarnation. You know, it is a difficult thing to divide up and who's going to cover what ground, you know, but I don't know, there was no rules, it went song by song.

And of course, with Slash coming back he would play the parts he had composed, including one of the solos in November Rain which Richard had played previously:

Slash took that away from me [laughs].

Now it's like easy because it's like, "Well, hey Richard," you know, "you're just gonna play this because I'm fucking Slash, I'm gonna play," you know, "this is my part." [laughs]

Richard would also say he preferred the two-guitar approach to the three-guitar approach:

Before, you know, there was so much going on and I don't really have that much of an ego when it comes to that stuff. I like to... you know, someone's got to fill it out, you know? It's so much better now, so much more enjoyable.

Slash would later talk about not orchestrating their individual parts but just "doing their own thing":

Richard’s great, man. [...] It’s not my personality, I guess, to want to concentrate on the two-guitar approach, even though I’m always in a two-guitar band. It’s always been, “You’ve got your thing, doing whatever you’ve got to do over there, and I’m doing whatever I do over here.” Usually they work together pretty well. If there’s something specifically that needs to get worked out, like with Richard—because a lot of that Chinese Democracy stuff, obviously, I didn’t have anything to do with writing it, so it was sort of foreign to me—he definitely had his parts and he showed me what some of the other parts were. We would jam the stuff and I would come up with my own interpretation of what those other parts were. But for the most part, Richard just does his thing and I do mine.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76731

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2