APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

34. 2014: END TO THE NUGNR ERA; BUMBLEFOOT CLANDESTINELY LEAVES THE BAND

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

34. 2014: END TO THE NUGNR ERA; BUMBLEFOOT CLANDESTINELY LEAVES THE BAND - Page 2 Empty Re: 34. 2014: END TO THE NUGNR ERA; BUMBLEFOOT CLANDESTINELY LEAVES THE BAND

Post by Soulmonster Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:31 pm

JUNE-OCTOBER, 2014
NEW MUSIC AFTER THE VEGAS RESIDENCY?

With the band going on a break after the residency in Las Vegas, there was hope that a record would be worked on, implying that it was really up to Axl to finish it:

I really hope that it happens this year and there’s still a lot of time left, so let’s just shoot for that.

We've all been handing files back and forth to one another in various combinations. [...] [it] needs to be finished and needs to be released. I think a lot of it is either finished or close to being finished -- it's just a matter of picking which songs and where and when and in what order. And if there's other things that come up that are worthy enough to add to that, then that's gonna happen, too. [...] No, I gave up on that a long time ago, with the last record. It'll come out when it comes out, when it's ready.

If the new record is not done, then it's close to being done, I think it's just a matter of picking out which songs will be on it.

There was a lot of stuff...We recorded basically, like, three albums' worth of material over the last 15 years, so there's a lot of old stuff that we're sort of re-tooling and bringing up as well as throwing out new ideas and things like that.

I’m hoping to finish up the next Guns n Roses album soon and to get back out with those guys.

Guns does seem to be on a hiatus now. We’ve been working a lot the last couple of years, so it seems like the next logical step for Guns would probably be to go back into the studio and do some recording before we hit the road again.

There is a lot of stuff in the can and a lot of stuff that needs to come out and will come out. I think it’s just finishing touches on a few things. It’s getting the right songs to put out in the right package. It’ll come out when it’s ready to come out, but it’s definitely there.

In September 2014, Bumblefoot would discuss why it is harder for Axl to release music than himself:

[...] it’s two totally, totally different scenarios, absolutely.  I don’t even know how to begin to compare the two.  For one thing in my own situation, in “Bumblefoot” world, I have all the keys to the whole project.  I know I have to write an album, record it and release it.  In the GNR world, Axl holds the key and (laughs) when he decides to do something is when he decides to do it and it’s definitely at a different pace than say when I do things.  Axl and I are two different people with two different lives and two totally different sets of hurdles to jump over which totally affects our ability to release what we create.  It’s very hard to bust out anything when life becomes more complicated or you have more people trying to pull you in a million different directions or distract you.  The bigger a band gets, the more that happens; so at Axl’s level it’s definitely not easy and there’s a million fires to put out where at my level there is maybe ten fires or even two fires (laughs).  When there’s not as many things or people distracting you or keeping you from getting in the zone it really frees you up to do the simple stuff and things don’t need to be so complicated.  But, I’ve realized that all those complications that are hurled at you, all of those distractions, they’re all external and they don’t need to penetrate your skin and get into who you are or stop you from doing what you do or change the relationship that you have with music or creating it or releasing it or sharing it or performing it or anything.  I’ve realized that can be untouchable and nobody can change that, people will try and people will continue to try relentlessly but they can’t unless you give them the power.  Once you realize that as an artist, you realize that you can do anything you wanna do musically and there’s really nothing at all that’s truly stopping you after all.

Around the same time, DJ would say there had been "more and more talks" about going into the studio before the end of the year:

Lack of songs is not our problem. It’s just getting into the studio. And there’s been more and more talk about getting in there before the end of the year, which I’m really excited about. [...] Axl, of course, has, I believe, two complete albums worth of songs already recorded and probably a shit-load of other stuff I’ve never heard. He’s played me quite a bit of stuff that’s phenomenal, and, hopefully, I can get my hands on it and put my little stamp on it, before all is said and done.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:06 am; edited 6 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76731

Back to top Go down

34. 2014: END TO THE NUGNR ERA; BUMBLEFOOT CLANDESTINELY LEAVES THE BAND - Page 2 Empty Re: 34. 2014: END TO THE NUGNR ERA; BUMBLEFOOT CLANDESTINELY LEAVES THE BAND

Post by Soulmonster Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:34 pm

JUNE 2014
AXL IS FEATURED IN A BUDWEISER COMMERCIAL

Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose makes a cameo in a new Budweiser World Cup commercial [...]. Seconds into the two-and-a-half-minute video, you see a familiar-looking bodyguard, who is in fact Brazil's beloved UFC legend Anderson Silva. Shortly after, a band comprised of Gary Cahill, Samuel Eto'o and Hulk — professional footballers who will be participating in the World Cup — takes to the stage and performs a "rap" version of the GN'R classic "Paradise City". As the track comes to an end, Hulk lobs a guitar pick into the crowd. Surrounded by a few models, Rose catches the pick and uses it to open his Budweiser. In recognition of the footballers' performance, Axl raises his Budweiser in toast.

The commercial was allegedly filmed in São Paulo, Brazil, in March/April earlier in the year.

Still image from Budweiser commercial
June 2014

Last edited by Soulmonster on Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:06 am; edited 9 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:35 pm

JULY 2014
AXL SIGNS THE THE TOPPS HEAVY METAL CARD

Back in May 2013, a series of heavy metal autographed baseball-cards had been released by Topps, including a card for Axl:

The Topps baseball-card publisher has announced the "headliner" in its forthcoming "Heavy Metal Autographs" insert set as part of the previously announced 2013 Topps Archives baseball set: Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose.

It will be Rose's first fully licensed trading card appearance and his first certified autograph as he has nothing listed in the Beckett.com database.

The 10-card autograph set will be one of three additional insert sets to the previously announced 2013 Topps Archives release. There will be a standard version of the cards as well as one that will be limited to 25 copies and printed on metal.

Here is the preliminary checklist for the "Heavy Metal" set, as provided by Topps:

* Sebastian Bach (ex-Skid Row)
* Tommy Lee (Motley Crue)
* Kip Winger (Winger)
* Reb Beach (Winger, Whitesnake)
* Lita Ford
* Stephen Pearcy (Ratt)
* Scott Ian (Anthrax)
* Dee Snider (Twisted Sister)
* Bobbie Brown (Warrant's "Cherry Pie" video)
* Axl Rose (Guns N' Roses)

2013 Topps Archives Baseball is slated for release on May 29.

On July 14, 2014, Topps announced that Axl had signed his card:

#BOOM! Look who signed. @axlrose [...] Heavy Metal autos will ship soon. More info to come on other autos.
Twitter, July 2014

Axl Rose Topps card
July 2014

Last edited by Soulmonster on Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:05 am; edited 4 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:42 am

SEPTEMBER 10, 2014
SLASH RELEASES 'WORLD ON FIRE'

In July 2013, it was reported Slash was again working with Miles Kennedy and the Conspirators for a new album, tentativelly planned to come out in 2014 [The Morning Call, July 12, 2013].

Talking about Kennedy and how they came to work together back in 2007 [?]:

I was really curious to see what he sang like. And since I was doing this record with all these different singers, I asked him to come in. And he was just phenomenal, and … I really liked him as a person. You know, his whole personality and his attitude and everything really jelled with mine.

The longer we knew each other, the more I really just liked working with him. I thought we had a really great chemistry and we started writing on the road.

I put together what I thought was, you know, a quick pickup band [to support the first record on tour]. But it turned out to be, like, the perfect bunch of guys. And I just thought that, after we'd been on the road for awhile, we should just go in the studio and make a record with these guys.

And on his role as band leader:

I've always put bands together; I'm either in one or putting one together. … In working with these guys, I'm really a band guy. So the only difference about me being in a band and what I'm doing now is that I actually lead this band. It's a sort of conscious knowledge between everybody [laughs].

But I still treat it as a group. It's just more directed by me than a lot of the bands that I've been in before, where it was more of a joint effort. But this bunch of guys is very happy just to have me sort of steer the ship, and they just kind of go along with it because we all want to sort of do the same thing, you know?

It's sort of a combination of both [a solo album and a band effort]. It's definitely more of a band situation, and how it relates to me as a solo artist is only just that I present the music and I run the band. But even then, we all do what we want, we all have the same goals and the same desires as far as working together and what the band should be doing and all that kind of stuff. So more than anything, I just deal with the mundane, busy work that needs to get done. And, like I said, I present the music to Myles [Kennedy, vocals] and Myles writes the lyrics, so we have a little bit of a partnership that way. And it's really simple. Sometimes people try to make it more complicated [than it is].

Being asked what the new album will sound like:

There's never anything verbally that I can say. You know, I'm really excited about the material and it's great. I don't know what particular direction it is. It's a hard-rock record, because that's what I do, but you really can't say anything about it until it's out.

And then each person has to ascertain for themselves what they think it is.

In December Slash updated on twitter that they had completed 16 tracks for the record [Twitter/Blabbermouth, December 19, 2013].

By April 2014, the record was finished recorded [Kerrang! via Blabbermouth, April 28, 2014].

Y'know, all I can tell you is that it's a really fucking great record. I'm very proud of it, but I don't want to get into, Oh, dude, it's epic,' or, 'It's the heaviest thing ever.' It's very rock and roll, and, as always, it's very diverse in feel, and I'm just super, super proud of everything that we collectively put into making the thing. It's just going to be a bitchin' record.

Slash continued recording live but this time with guitar overdubs:

We did this record to tape, and I've been recording to tape forever. I've only done Velvet Revolver records to Pro Tools, and I can't stand that sort of digital approach to recording drums and guitars and stuff. My first solo record was to tape, and with 'Apocalyptic Love', we decided to go in and just do it live. That was one of those record that, when you listen to it, everything sounds a certain way because we recorded it in the moment. [...] I wanted to do a more produced album, where we go in and play everything live, and then we overdub the guitars. I overdubbed all of them using all the live tracks. I just wanted to get more of a dense sound and whatnot, and be able to put some overdubs on it to make things more interesting or harmonize or whatever it was. So this is more of a produced record, and that's the main progression, in my mind.

It was nice on this record to go in knowing I was gonna do guitars later and just whip through these songs. I didn't feel the pressure of having to play the final recording and the final guitars at the moment. You know what I mean? So then it was very tight but it was very loose and it was a very quick process. For 17 songs, I think we were in there for just under two weeks. Then the daunting part comes where you have to go and do all those guitars [laughs]. And I was doing the guitar parts for two players 'cause Myles wasn't playing guitar. You just go in and do that. I'm very passionate it and I love seeing the songs go from an inkling of an idea to a complete arrangement. You get in the studio and then see them to their fruition and get the sounds.

Talking about the record in May:

It's just a great record. It's done. We had a blast in the studio. All the guys are great — really great personalities to deal with, really talented individuals as musicians. So it's just a breeze in the studio. But this particular record being our second one together, it really showed that the band has evolved a lot and that we have a really great chemistry. When it comes out, you'll know what I'm talking about.

I wrote the majority of the music when I was on the Apocalyptic Love tour. You know, just sitting around in dressing rooms and hotel rooms for a year, I accumulated all these ideas. Then in September [2013] I sat down and went through everything I’d recorded on my voice memo on my phone and picked out about 20 different ideas then we went into pre-production in October and just started jamming.

We were there for a couple of months, holed up in Mates rehearsal studio in Los Angeles. There was the whole writing process then once we had all the songs down we rehearsed the shit out of it, and then we brought the producer, Mike Baskette, in. And so we went through another phase of fine tooth-combing everything and getting the arrangements together. Myles came down and started working on his vocal parts… and by the time we were done with all that we were ready to go in and just bang the stuff out. It was a very quick process in the studio.

The one thing about this record is that it was almost like it wrote itself, it was very effortless. And that happens very rarely, when there’s a certain energy that carries the creative process and it’s almost like you’re not in control of it and you just ride that wave. That’s how this record was. I can’t think of any outside influence other than just going with this creative flow.”

Later in May it was announced that the album, World On Fire, would be released on September 15 via Slash's own label Dik Hayd International [Press Release/Blabbermouth, May 27, 2014].

World On Fire
September 15, 2014

Talking about the difference between Apocayptic Love and World On Fire:

The biggest difference is that the band has also has naturally evolved with so much touring and all of these different things. There's a difference in musicianship that shows on this record and the songwriting skills especially. The other difference is the fact that we recorded both albums live, but we kept the first one ("Apocalyptic Love") just live. That was it. There was no overdubs or layering or any kind of studio techniques. With "World On Fire", I wanted to do guitar harmonies and double up parts and just create sounds. It's a little more produced record in that sense.

As for choosing the song World On Fire as the first single:

I think there's a lot of singles on the record, but it's a good kick-off song. It's up-tempo, aggressive, it's a fun song. I love the whole world on fire, larger-than-life kind of vibe that the title and lyrics have.

And talking about the name:

To be literal about it, we have the global warming thing. But that's not the catalyst for the title. "World On Fire" is more of a tongue-in-cheek, positive, fun thing — it has a lot of sexual connotations in the actual song itself. It's a euphemism for going a little bit crazy and pulling out all the stops.

For World On Fire, Slash went with Michael "Elvis" Baskette, who had produced the last Alter Bridge album, as the producer instead of Eric Valentine:

With all due credit to Eric, Eric is awesome. That record I did with all the singers and stuff ["Slash"], if it weren't for him I don't think I would have actually been able to pull that off. 'Cause that was the kind of record where it should have been an impossible record to make. There was so many moving parts but it just happened together. When I first started playing Eric the demos when there was no vocals on anything, he got it. Eric is a genius and he just wasn't available at this time.

JUNE 2015: LIVE AT THE ROXY

We were just releasing World on Fire in September, we wanted to do some club shows to celebrate the release. We did a small club show in NY and three shows in LA at all the venues where I got my start, The Troubadour, The Whiskey and The Roxy. The Roxy was one that would best facilitate filming – it’s the right size room and right vibe. We wanted to memorialize the gig and a few weeks later we said, why don’t we make a DVD and CD out of this and put it out there?

It’s very raw – there’s no protools or those kind of fixes and overdubs they did in the late 70s when they made live records, and by the time they came out they were pretty much studio records (laughs). It’s capturing the moment which is all that what we wanted to do. And hopefully that energy, vibe and excitement from that night will translate to your TV or computer screen.

Live at the Roxy 9.25.14
June 15, 2015

One thing was that we had a bunch of new songs that we’d never played before, so thinking back on it and after playing a lot of those songs every day since then, it’s interesting to think how cool those songs must have sounded when we were first getting in the groove in front of an audience. That was literally the first time we ever played them, so that’s sort of cool. And they’ve changed a lot; they’ve evolved a lot over the last however many months it’s been.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:05 am; edited 3 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun May 07, 2023 5:45 pm

NOVEMBER 2014-MAY 2015
MARC CANTER WORKS ON THE SCRIPT FOR A GUNS N' ROSES MOVIE

Despite Slash's disdain for a Guns N' Roses movie [see previous chapter], in November 2014, Marc Canter announced that a script for such a movie was currently in the works based on Canter's "Reckless Road" book [for more information about this book, see previous chapters] [Mygnrforum/Blabbermouth, November 15, 2014]. Canter would post on the Guns N' Roses forum mygnrforum, talking about the movie-in-development:

I do have a big say-so on the script, which is still being put together now, but so far looking cool. [...] I am going to see that everyone in the cast is doing their job and doing justice to the band. Since I was there, I know what the dialog was between the band for many of the events that took place. When you find out who is making the movie, you will then understand that it will be very cool. [...] I'm proud of all the hard work that was put into this project and it's just going to kick ass! In no way will it be a cheesy movie like 'Rock Star'.

When asked if Axl had approved the movie, Canter responded:

Axl doesn't support anything to do with the old band except playing their songs live. However, I do think he will be happy with the fact that it will clear up some stories that have been said about him from those days that were told incompletely. So setting the record straight on some of those evens will be a good thing for him to see happen. [...] Axl should know by now that I have his back and that it will be done right. If I'm involved in a Guns N' Roses project, then you know I have their backs.

Discussing how far they had come with the movie:

The people I'm working with are the best ones to do this project. There is so much detail in the way it all came together that tells the killer rock 'n' roll story of the best band around. Why hide it? I have all the resources to help make it right. [...] When the script is done, the band will be able to look at it and help fix things that are off a bit. The goal is to get it right. [...] No one has been cast at this point but I would expect to see a few A-list people in the cast. [We're] just working on [putting together] the perfect script. Then they will move on to the next step, and yes, it will bring in a whole new slew of fans and sell a shitload of records for the band. Also the band will do well on the music used for the movie.

In May 2015 it was revealed that Howie Hubberman, previous owner of Hollywood's Guitars-R-Us and loaner of $25,000 to Vicky Hamilton in the band's early days [see previous chapter], were working on writing a screen play together with Canter [The Music Universe, May 22, 2015]. According to Hubberman, actor James Franco would be involved:

James Franco said he is doing it, and he has never said he was going to do a movie that he didn’t eventually do. Anything James Franco says he is going to do, he is going to do. He’s an absolute genius, a key player in Hollywood. He is already an A-lister, and this movie is going to make him even more of an A-lister.

To get the publishing for the songs for this movie is not easy, but we’re doing it. There are a lot of books about Guns N’ Roses out there, but Marc Canter’s book, “Reckless Road,” is the best one, because he was there with the band from 1984 to 1988, and the whole band loved him. So we optioned the book, and it’s in pre-production with James Franco.

Canter would provide an update in 2016:

The book was optioned for a movie about a year ago by James Franco. He is passionate about the band and really wants to direct it. The band have to work it out with him and do a deal for the music.

AN ISSUE WITH THE BAND?

After Slash and Duff rejoined the band in 2016 and went on successful touring, Doug Goldstein would indicate that there was an issue between Canter and the band [Unknown interview, mentioned in Appetite for Distortion, April 16, 2018] and photographer Jack Lue, friend of Canter and early photographer of the band would be asked about this:

I think they [=Slash and Canter] text each other all the time. I know Marc didn't see any of the new show, the new tour. Yeah, because, you know, they didn't invite him. But Marc could ask them and they'll probably, you know, get you in. But he didn't bother asking them because they didn't invite him. But, you know, I know [?] talk every now and then, you know, with Slash at least. But I'm not sure. I know Alex, Alex Canter, Marc's son, went to the show. I know he went to the shows and, you know, they got him in. But, you know, I know Marc didn't see the tour and I go, "Marc, just ask the guys and they'll hopefully they'll get you in." But he hadn't asked.

Lue would also mention that the band had opposed a GN'R gallery that Lue and fellow photographer Gene Kirkland had been planning, and that it might have been to get rid of competition to the band's own pop-up stores during the Not In This Lifetime touring:

There's politics in it [laughs]. And it's probably, you know, the management that's managing them. We were planning to have a like a GN'R gallery back in, like with like, right before the Dodger Stadium show, we gonna have, you know, gallery show just to, you know, promote GN'R and you know me, Gene Kirkland, you know, Gene wanted to do this gallery thing, so we were going to do it at Canter's. You know, we promoted it and, you know, we got the photos ready and then like, you know, the management said, you know, "cease and desist," basically. So they told us not to do it.  [...] I saw some photos of it. I didn't go to it. I should have, but I didn't. [...] I think they had their pop-up store. I heard here are pop-up stores at the same time. And I guess they didn't want to compete with us. But you know, they wasn't to go to the pop up store to buy stuff, you know, they could do both [laughs]. You know, they just asked us to cease and desist and we said, "Okay." Well, you know, I wanted to, you know, keep the band happy. You know, Gene wanted to do it and, you know, but I was out of it, if the band's doesn't want us to do it, stop it, you know, I'm out. "So if you want to do it, Gene, you can do it."

The in May 2018, Fernando Lebeis was guesting the fan forum Mygnrforum and received the following question: "Regarding the ultimate kick-ass AFD box with old demos....are there any plans for releasing (pre-)AFD related live videos? Marc Canter is a good guy!!" to which he responded:

We can agree to disagree.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:43 am; edited 4 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:00 am

NOVEMBER 2014-FEBRUARY 2015
PUTTING THE FINISHING TOUCHES ON THE NEXT ALBUM?

As discussed previously, as band members were left to pursue side projects as the band went on a touring break after the residency, the hope was that Axl would finish the next record [see previous chapter]. And in November, 2014, band members started to sound more concrete about the possibility of a new record, with Dizzy saying it was in "the works" and that "people" were now indeed "going through" what they already had recorded:

There's a lot of material that's already done and I think it's in the process of being finished and eventually we'll pick out which songs need to come out with which other songs. So that's in the works. Hopefully it will be out really soon.

There's a wealth of material that's been recorded and written and a lot of it's done, a lot of it's being done and I know there's people going through it now and it'll be out soon. [...] it's just a collection of stuff from over the years, but you know, great great songs that need to be heard.

Last I heard... you know, there's a lot of music that has been recorded, a lot of stuff that's done, lots of stuff that's almost done and it's, I think, it's just a matter of picking out which songs are going to come out, you know, in the next phase. And last I heard that's what was happening.

And Richard stating that both he and DJ had worked on music (we already knew that DJ had recorded songs he wanted on the next album), but interestingly not with Bumblefoot:

DJ and I have worked on stuff… Nobody's worked on stuff with Ron.

Dizzy would also state that the unreleased material wasn't just "leftovers" from the Chinese Democracy sessions but also contained newer music recorded after this:

Well, you know, I mean you can call it "leftovers" but since no one's heard it, it's new material. But there's stuff that's been recorded and conceived since then as well. But I think you know with everybody that's played on that stuff, it's fantastic music and I really hope it gets out because people need to hear it, it's great stuff.

And furthermore, Richard would say that Axl was currently in the studio recording more vocals:

There's so much stuff that's recorded, there's so much stuff that was done. I mean, there's three albums' worth of material, easy… [...] I know this week [Axl]'s recording a lot of stuff, vocally.

Richard would also imply that Axl had take ideas from DJ and him to use in songs:

That camp is very… I don't know why. It's just that they're very… Axl is very secretive. He doesn't want stuff getting out. He wants to create stuff and then release it when it's ready. Which I… I get it. He's also a bit of a perfectionist, as you can imagine.

The way [Axl] generally works is that he doesn't wanna take an idea that DJ sent and… What he'll do is he'll take a little piece that I sent, he'll take a little piece that DJ sent on another track, and he's always done that. Back even with the 'Appetite' stuff, he would take a little bit from this, a little bit from that, and then put it together. And when you listen to it, you can sort of hear it. When you listen to the tracks, you can hear that it's… Especially on 'Illusions', the opuses, [where] he took little bits from different people and put them together. He's got a real talent for that.

When discussing the new, unreleased material, Richard would also imply that some of it dated back to when Slash was in the band:

A lot of the new stuff that [we were] working on, some of that stuff [are ideas that came] from nothing and some of the stuff is stuff that [we had] been working on that were ideas that were already there. Some of the stuff Slash did that was the beginning of the seed of the song that's been around for a while.

In early 2015, Richard would say the process of working on the new album "sort of stops and starts":

I don't think there's going to be any touring soon. We have been working on material and that sort of starts and stops and, you know, but we're still plugging away at it.

When asked if this was frustrating:

Is it frustrating? You know, if I didn't have other things going on, it probably would be, but, you know, I've got other things that I focus on. You know, I've been doing GN'R now for what, 13-14 years? It's the nature of what it is.

In July 2015, Richard would confirm that Axl had plans on releasing the next record after the touring ended in 2014:

The last I heard they wanted to finish up the recordings that we have and put them out next year and start touring. But it has been a while since I've heard from anybody in that camp as far as management or Axl. So I really don't know.

Apparently, either Axl did not finish this work, or his plans shifted as reunion talks began [see later chapter].

Richard would also be asked about the status of the songs already recorded:

There's a lot of stuff recorded that is in the can. I have no idea what will be used or scrapped or if we'll end up redoing it. I really have no idea as far as what's going on with that stuff.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:04 am

2014-2016
VELVET REVOLVER, PART IX - THE END

2014:

There's no real difference in the status of it now that it was back in 2008. There's not been anybody to fill the vocal shoes that's been really inspiring, and then everybody's been off busy doing their own thing. But we're still keeping an ear to the pavement to see if there's something that would be the perfect fit for that band. The door's still open. It's just not doing anything at the moment.

I think we're gonna audition a singer coming up. So there's that. But I'm gonna be out on the road for the next year and a half [with my solo band], so…

Slash would explain why they wouldn't go about looking for a singer the same way as they had tried before:

Before we started working with Scott [Weiland], we held auditions back then and everything, at that time, was on CD that we would get. And we would get probably a couple of hundred submissions a week. And we did that six days a week for ten months. And I never wanna have to go through that experience again. [laughs] I mean, there has to be some sort of filtering system. 'Cause a lot of people just don't take it seriously, they just wanna do it for the hell of it, blah blah blah. And for Velvet Revolver, I think, probably the best way of going about it just hearing through the grapevine or personally experiencing somebody that just hits the mark.

As for the status of the band:

Obviously, it's not broken up; it's sort of in a state of dormancy. And so whenever the right guy [pops up]… Everybody's too busy to be trying to check people out every single day.

I think it’s got to organically happen. Nothing’s ever been too forced. It’s been a minute [since we've done anything], and that’s why I’m dabbling in this sort of stuff [=solo album]. Once we come back, we’re all re-energized. Slash’s got a new album coming out, I’ve got a new project called Kings of Chaos, which is kind of my rock project. It’s going to be a rotating band. I’ve been very blessed, I love playing with other musicians, it’s so inspiring. And when I come back to what I call my “day job,” which is Velvet Revolver, I’ll bring a lot more to the table.

And who he would choose if he could pick anyone:

I've done that already. There's a lot of people that we tried out that we don't talk about. The more that time passes, the less rock and roll singers there seems to be. Like, that style of just really, sort of, from-the-heart, guttural rock and roll. It seems to be just getting more and more glossed up. It seems like everybody's… I mean, look at 'American Idol'. And they do the rock-singer bit. I haven't seen it in a long time, but I remember in the first few years it was around, and these singers just don't sound like rock and roll singers. It's hard to say exactly… It's something that I'll know it when I hear it.

In June 2014, Duff was asked why he didn't sing:

I would consider it, but I think it's the type of band that it's best if we have a lead singer. I like rocking with Slash. When we play, I like rocking with the guitar players and the drummer and being able to fly around. When I sing with Loaded, I can't move at all. I'm playing guitar and I'm singing. I figured out I'm a fucking dum-dum. I wrote too many lyrics in the songs. There's just too many goddamn lyrics, and you can't ever move away from the mic — rarely — except when I jump into the crowd, and then that's, and then the band's playing and I get back up and I have to sing more.

And provide an update on the search for the new singer:

We tried out a guy, actually, just a couple of weeks ago. A really good guy, good singer, but it just wasn't the right fit. I get e-mails all the time: 'Hey, check this guy out.' And we have internal e-mails going around. Slash's got a new record coming out, so he's gonna tour that thing like he does; that guy just goes out.

In July, Slash would talk about why he had walked away from the band:

I just had to sort of grab myself by my bootstraps and (say) OK I’m going to do something on my own here because I needed it. I needed to get away from all the BS that comes along with this rock band stuff.

And whether Weiland could come back:

I can see Scott coming back, but I can’t see anybody accepting him. That’s sort of the case. It’s not a big deal and I don’t want to bad mouth Scott or anything. The whole thing is we’re looking for another guy to replace him it just hasn’t happened. It’s dormant, but there’s activity under the radar.

In October, Duff would still not give up on the band:

I don't think we're done. [...] We played with some guys only two weeks ago, as a matter of fact. All really talented guys, but it's just… We'll know when he walks in the room, I think.

And Slash would say the band stille existed, but in a dormant state:

It's just dormant and very quiet right now.

Well, Velvet Revolver is just in a state of hiatus until something happens, so I don’t want to discredit it, so-to-speak, as to what happens to it in the future.

And that it was "an active project":

Well, it's an active project, let's put it that way. It's been a matter of trying to find the right guy to front that unit, which is difficult, because, as we move down the road in the millennium, the style of rock singers is changing a lot. And I think that with the [musical vision] that Duff and Matt and Dave and I have for Velvet Revolver don't really cater to the sort of stylistic vocals that are happening as we move down the road from, I think, it was 2008, was the last thing we did — 2008 up until the present. I mean, I was really fortunate to find Myles, and it was really a great thing that we just sort of locked in. But, yeah, trying to find a really genuine, honest rock and roll singer is getting few and far between.

DECEMBER 2015: SCOTT WEILAND DIES

Then, on December 3, 2015, Scott Weiland tragically died of an accidental overdose while touring with the Wildabouts.

His former band mates in Velvet Revolver released a statement:

We are deeply saddened to learn of the loss of our old friend and bandmate, Scott Weiland. We experienced a good chunk of life with Scott, and even in his darkest times, we all had hope and love for him. His artistry will live on, of that, there is no doubt.

Deepest condolences and sadness are for his children, Noah and Lucy. We all travelled around this world together on tour; our band, wives, and kids…and we grew to a big family that still remains to this day.

It’s just so sad and brutal from any perspective.

Rest In Peace Scott

Slash, Duff, Matt, and Dave
Instagram, December 4, 2015

Matt would describe how he had found out:

Last night, me and Duff were gonna meet for dinner and we were gonna go see the Gary Clark Jr. show [in Hollywood]. And Duff called me at about 7:30; I think we found out pretty close to when things happened….Then we decided to go have something to eat, just to discuss what we were gonna do. And then we decided to pass on the Gary Clark show, because… out of respect for Scott, and just to sort of capture our thoughts.

Talking about his feelings when he heard the news::

I don't know how I felt initially, 'cause I can't say it was a shock, but it was definitely… I wasn't expecting it, because I felt like Scott was gonna be here, hopefully, longer than this. It's like you lived a lot of life together. It was a big chunk of life, as Duff said in the post that he put out for the band. [...] In the end, obviously, we had our differences and the band split up, but the wave of emotions that you feel is more like a family member. It's like if you had a family member that maybe you didn't get along with great, but you still loved them. So that's the feeling. And then I started reflecting on the beginnings of the band and that's when I started to get emotional, because we did great things together. We traveled the world together. Scott made the music come to life.

And how he would like people to remember Weiland:

I'd like to say that I feel that he had an incredible musical journey and I was glad to be a part of that, and, you know, just blessed to be with a great frontman in my life, and Scott was definitely one of the greatest — one of the greatest, for sure. And I want people to focus on that part; I want people to look at music.

These characters in rock and roll that we've lost through the ages, their soul and their heart and everything that they felt in their life goes into their music, and they do that for us because whatever pain or hurt or anything they're going through, that's what music does for all of us. It's, like, with what's going on in the world right now, and what happened in Paris to the Eagles Of Death Metal, the only thing we can say is that one thing that we all can hold in our hears is the music. So I just want people just to remember that part of him and not focus on the obvious. Because that pain and that part of him was the music; you have to remember that. And his journey was done. And, unfortunately, that's part of the story, and that part of the story says the music will remain and his journey is over and he's moved on.

In 2019, Duff would look back at Weiland and mention that Feel, one of the song off his Tenderness album from may 2019, was about him:

[Feel] was the result of me still wrestling with Scott’s death. I’ve lost so many friends, but with this one I was struggling with survivor’s guilt, I guess you’d call it. Once he went back to drugs, the game was up. ‘You go back to drugs, you’re gonna die’ – I told him that. I said, ‘You know where this is gonna go, Scott.’ But he said, ‘No, no, man, I got this.’ And then he was gone. I’ve gotta be honest, I didn’t know where to place that in my life. [...] Me and Scott had gone through so much. I shot him in the ass to wean him off heroin. I personally did that – for a month. He got his family back; he had his victory. He came to me for help because he wanted to get sober the way I got sober. I was, like, ‘Okay, then we’re going. It’s gonna be tough, but we’ll get through it.’

When I got the news, albeit it was heartbreaking it didn’t surprise me. Like when my buddy West [Arkeen] passed away, it broke my heart but it didn’t surprise me.

2016: "YOU NEVER KNOW"

In June 2016 it was revealed that the reunited Guns N' Roses had rehearsed Slither for the upcoming tour, possibly as a tribute to Weiland [Facebook/Ultimate Guitar, June 16, 2016].

In March 2018, Matt would say "you never know" in response to Velvet revolver coming together again:

You know, I never say never, [...] I don't want to say there's closure on that particular band. You never know. I never say never cause that was a great time and we were very successful.

Looking back at the band:

The thing about Velvet Revolver, yeah, of course, we were a supergroup, but we had come out of this massive band, the three of us and to be able to re-create and come back with a new thing and be successful, you've still got to write the songs and you've still got to make a great record. You've still gotta have the goods and you've got to move with the times. The music has got to translate to the culture and what's happening in the world, and we just hit with that record -- Contraband -- the first record. The timing was right. The people were ready. And when we got the Grammy nominations and we won the Grammy for Best Rock Performance, that was probably one of the biggest highlights -- that and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

But it felt different for me, because obviously Guns N' Roses was already a big band when I joined that band. So for me, Velvet Revolver was icing on the cake for me. I was a founder of that group. Me and Slash and Duff said we need to do something new with a new sound and a new band and we did. We went out there, did a couple of records and a couple of big tours and that was great.

In 2018, Slash would state he had "nothing positive" to say about the Velvet Revolver experience:

As crazed as that whole period was, I was still shocked to hear about Scott. But yeah, Velvet Revolver was no fun. I have nothing positive to say about that experience except that we did write some cool stuff.

Duff would be confronted with this comment and share his own opinion:

Like the first record and doing all that stuff was good times. It turned. It turned, for sure. And it became pretty difficult. A lot of things outside of our control, really. And luckily I didn't go down the dark road again on that second record, but there was a lot of that going down. [...] So it got tough. But I don't look back at the whole thing as an awful experience. It was great. Like that first record, we went out and kicked some serious ass. Great songs and it was good for all of us at the time.

In 2019, after having formed Deadland Ritual, Matt answered negatively when asked if he still wanted to resurrect Velvet Revolver:

No, I have a new band now.

When asked if he couldn't keep doing two thing going at the same time, and when the interviewer suggested Slash had wanted to return to Velvet Revolver, both Frankie Perez and Matt pointed out he had never said that to them [SiriusXM Trunk Nation, January 17, 2019].

Slash, looking back:

Velvet Revolver was a really difficult time. It never felt as good as it looked from the outside. It was a cool combination – but I didn’t help, and we all fell off the wagon after a while.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2