APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2009.12.02 - Hangyorae (South Korea) - Interview with Axl

Go down

2009.12.02 - Hangyorae (South Korea) - Interview with Axl Empty 2009.12.02 - Hangyorae (South Korea) - Interview with Axl

Post by Blackstar Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:16 am

Auto-translation from Korean (with small corrections with the help of the Noisecreep article below):
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Axl Rose: "Reuniting with old members is not an easy thing... The new lineup is also talented.”

By Seo Jeong min

The heavy metal band Guns N' Roses, who enjoyed explosive popularity in the late 1980s and early 1990s, will perform their first concert in Korea on the 13th at the Olympic Park Gymnastics Stadium in Seoul. Guns N' Roses practically stopped activities after their 3rd album "Use Your Illusion" in 1991, but returned after 17 years with a new album, "Chinese Democracy," in November of last year. However, the only remaining member is Axl Rose, and other members such as Slash, Duff McKagan, and Matt Sorum are active in a band called 'Velvet Revolver'. I had an email interview with Guns N' Roses vocalist and leader Axl Rose. 

How do you feel about coming to Korea for the first time in 24 years since the band was formed? There must be many fans who want old songs, right?

"With [the] show coming up, we've received a lot of comments from Korean fans on MySpace and on our website. There are also requests for us to make sure we play specific songs. We plan to play some songs that were not included in the setlist originally planned for this tour. Korea is a country I always wanted to visit, and only now I've had the chance. I can't wait to meet the fans.”

The new album, "Chinese Democracy," criticized China's iron fist rule and the suppression of Falun Gong. China reacted strongly and banned the album, and of course, it was excluded from this Asian tour. Did you expect a backlash from China? If you expected it, why did you talk about China's democratization?

“This album is not an overall criticism of China, a great country, but rather a criticism of some undemocratic political behavior. Several democratization movements are underway in China. It would be great if such a movement could get attention because of our song and get results. The reaction from China was, of course, expected. China's population is said to be 1.3 billion, but we expected that not all of them would be able to hear our songs. (Laughs) I wanted to visit China during this Asian tour, but it's a shame that it didn't happen.”

Do you like the new members of the band?

“The members that are with us on this tour are the best. Especially guitarist DJ Ashba, who was in the opening band for Kiss and Ozzy Osbourne's festival and has been on the Marilyn Manson tour. He will switch between about 10 different guitars during the shows on this tour."

There are many fans who want you to reunite with former members. Do you have any plans to reunite with Slash, Duff McKagan, Matt Sorum and Izzy Stradlin?

“Reuniting with the original members is not an easy thing. All the former members are devoted to their own music, and I wholeheartedly support their endeavors. I'd say that the important thing is to support the current members so that we continue making music for Guns N' Roses. The only thing right now is Guns and Roses."

https://web.archive.org/web/20100212160741/http://www.hani.co.kr/arti/culture/music/391143.html

Last edited by Blackstar on Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 88097

Back to top Go down

2009.12.02 - Hangyorae (South Korea) - Interview with Axl Empty Re: 2009.12.02 - Hangyorae (South Korea) - Interview with Axl

Post by Blackstar Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:18 am

Article in Noisecreep, Dec. 4, 2009:
------------------------------------------

Axl Rose Comments on Guns N' Roses Korean Tour, DJ Ashba

"Reuniting with the original members isn't an easy thing," Axl Rose says of any possible plans to reunite with the original members of Guns N' Roses. "The old members are all devoted to their own music, and I wholeheartedly support them in their endeavors. The important thing I'd say is to support the current members and the best environment so that we can keep making music. The only thing right now is Guns and Roses."

Rose made the comment in a recent interview with Korean news agency Hangyorae. The online interview is written in Korean and fans have translated the exchange on a Guns n' Roses message board. The band will soon head to Korea for the first time, touring on the back of 'Chinese Democracy.'

Since no one at Noisecreep is fluent in Korean, we can only trust the bilingual skills of the many GNR fans worldwide that have confirmed the contents of this exchange. Naturally, the interviewer asked Rose about his excitement in coming to Korea.

"With [the] concert coming up, we've received a lot of comments on MySpace and our homepage from Korean fans. There are also requests for us to make sure we play specific songs. Korea is a country we always wanted to visit, and now we're here. We can't wait to meet the fans."

GNR is famous for member turnover, and the 'Appetite for Destruction' lineup is long since over. These days, DJ Ashba is handling guitar duties for Guns n' Roses.

"The members with us on this tour are absolutely the best," continues Rose. "Especially the guitarist, DJ Ashba, who's come with lots of experience since he was in the opening act for Kiss and Ozzy Osborne's festival [and] the Marilyn Manson tour. During the tour he switches between about 10 different guitars while performing."

Guns N' Roses head to Taiwan Dec. 11 and then on to Asia, hitting Seoul; Osaka and Tokyo before hitting Canada and South America. No North America dates are scheduled at this time.

https://web.archive.org/web/20100722085847/http://www.noisecreep.com/2009/12/04/axl-rose-guns-n-roses-korean-tour/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 88097

Back to top Go down