APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

01. FOREWORD

Go down

01. FOREWORD Empty 01. FOREWORD

Post by Soulmonster Sun May 31, 2020 9:20 am

FOREWORD

I don't think anybody will understand [Guns N' Roses]. […] Everybody likes to make assumptions, people like to make up all these stories […]. It's never accurate. So it's made up like they're talking about somebody else altogether. The only thing you can go on is what's actually printed correctly in the press, quotes that are actually accurate, which isn't too often, anyway.

[...] you know, whenever you say anything about how you feel, or what your what might happen or what, you know, especially when it pertains to Guns N' Roses, people then take that and, you know, either they misquote you or they leave things out, you know, to make it seem like you're making an announcement, you know. And then all these websites pick up on it and they twist it further. And it's just, yeah, it's very difficult in that way.

This section will present the history of Guns N' Roses, from its beginning in 1985 to today. Although all posts are written by me, bar a few exceptions and paragraphs, I wouldn't have been able to do this without the massive help from @Blackstar who corrects my mistakes and has done an incredible job adding to our interview and article archive.

Each thread in this section will deal with a time-period, and the posts will be cross-referenced to the interview and article databases. I will aim to avoid unsubstantiated rumors and myths, and instead focus on what is actually known about the period based on biographies, interviews, articles, etc, and focus on primary sources with direct quotes from band members and those who were there, over anything else. In those cases where the sources disagree, I will aim to present every side to the story.

This is not a 100% accurate summary of the band's history. By design, this project focuses on only what has been presented in the media and the press, and the media and press are both selective and biased -- and unfair -- in their focus, as well as obviously ignorant to what the band and band members have decided not to disclose. Furthermore, quotes from people who have spoken out frequently will dominate over quotes from those who have spoken less, whether by choice or because of fewer opportunities. History is written by victors, and those who choose to speak out. This means that the story suffers from the absence of important perspectives and viewpoints, and can come across as heavily sided with others' perspectives. There are numerous people in the band's history who have, for whatever reasons, refrained from doing interviews and commentaries, and any reader should be aware of this inherent weakness with the project.

I welcome anyone with first-person account of the band to voice their opinion, especially if they disagree with the story as it is told.

This is also not a well-written, or easily read, account of the band's history. Far from it. The heavy focus on primary quotes, often repetitive and seldom with explanatory text or interpretations, doesn't lend itself for easy reading. It does lend itself to presenting an accurate depiction of what has been said and told, though. Still, I do intend to try to make it a better read in the years to come, at least by summarizing some of the sections and providing more references to other related chapters.

There is no hidden agenda behind this work besides trying to present an objective account of the history of the band as presented through the press and media. There is no financial reward for the hours spent putting into this. I do it because I enjoy it and from a desire to make the band's history a bit clearer. And what a history it is! Paradoxically, I am not a hardcore fan of the band. I did become a fan in my formative teens when I first bought Appetite for Destruction, and although this first love of music will always remain special, it just served as a starting point for my musical awakening and I moved on from the band in the 90s. In a sense, as one should. It is not my favorite music today, although I do have a soft spot for Appetite and I do appreciate their more recent releases. I am also not a fan of any of the band members. Sure, I am a fan of them as musicians, but if anything this work has reinforced my understanding that they are just humans like anyone else who come with strengths and weaknesses, and in this case often exposed and magnified through the press.

I apologize for any mistakes made, none has been intentional, and I will do my best to correct them quickly when notified.

I do expect and appreciate that anyone using this work in any form makes proper references to it.

The section is currently under development. Each post will be improved as new sources are consulted. I am doing this chronologically, and the sources that have so far been included is displayed here: https://www.a-4-d.com/t2861-interview-and-article-index . As new interviews and sources are made available, the thread will be updated. As such, it is a living document that will be adjusted and revised continuously as new articles and quotes emerge.

Hopefully, in the end, this will be the most comprehensive source to the history of the band, and will supplement the other sections of this site. It will be the go-to site to delve into any particular chapter in the story of GN'R. And the associated database of articles and interviews will be valuable to anyone who wants to dive into the history of the band.

I hope you will find some enjoyment in the section and appreciate the work put into it.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76730

VFFFRin likes this post

Back to top Go down