APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

XX. Notes

2 posters

Page 17 of 18 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down

XX. Notes - Page 17 Empty Re: XX. Notes

Post by Blackstar Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:32 pm

Article about the Hall of Fame in the New York Times, Dec. 3, 2011; Alice Cooper comments on GnR:
Battle of the Bands (and Egos) for the Rock Hall of Fame

By Janet Morrissey

OLD rock ’n’ rollers don’t fade away. They just hope for a nod from Cleveland.

Specifically, for a nod from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland, where the stars who once filled our ears get another shot at immortality, or at least some big money.

With the recording industry under financial attack from many sides, one of the few ways for old acts to pique new interest is to be inducted into the hall of fame. So, each fall, managers and record labels dive into a mosh pit of monster egos, clashing tastes and rival interests in the industry, all in the hope of placing their artists among the royalty of rock. The 15 nominees for 2012 include The Cure, Donna Summer, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts and Guns N’ Roses. Ballots are due on Sunday, and winners will be announced on Wednesday.

For the inductees, the reward can be enormous. Weekly record sales for a performer or band leap 40 to 60 percent, on average, in the weeks after selection, says David Bakula, a senior vice president at Nielsen SoundScan. While winning a Grammy often helps one album, a nod from Cleveland can lift an entire back catalog.

These days, labels and artists need all the help they can get. The music business is worth half of what it was 10 years ago, and the decline doesn’t look as if it will slow anytime soon. Total revenue from shipments of CDs, DVDs and other music products in the United States was $6.85 billion in 2010, according to the Recording Industry Association of America; in 2000, that figure topped $14 billion.

But the path to the hall of fame can be long and difficult. Controversy surrounds the selection process, which is shrouded in secrecy.

What is known is that a nominating committee of about 30 music critics, entertainment lawyers and recording executives winnows the field each year to 15 artists. Then another committee, this one of about 500 people, including past winners, selects five inductees. Artists can qualify for a spot 25 years after their first recording, which means that performers from the 1980s now have a chance to rank up there with Elvis. (The winners to be announced this week will be inducted at a ceremony next April.)

With fame and money at stake, it’s no surprise that a lot of backstage lobbying goes on. Why any particular act is chosen in any particular year is a mystery to performers as well as outsiders — and committee members say they want to keep it that way. The Bee Gees were passed over 11 times before being inducted in 1997; some fans and managers say the long wait reflected an anti-disco bias within the selection committees. And despite 27 studio albums and 45 years of touring, as well as a style that would influence many other artists, Alice Cooper was passed over 16 times before finally being inducted this year.

“When I wasn’t being nominated, I played it down all the time,” Mr. Cooper says. “But it really does make a big difference.”

He continues: “I used to think that when you got in, you’d understand how it worked, and how you get nominated — there would be a secret handshake, and there’d be a dossier about Area 51 and the president’s assassination.”

No such luck.

Rhino Records, which handles his back catalog, took advantage of his induction, however. It ran 30-second spots during the televised induction ceremony and made sure that Alice Cooper compilations, boxed sets and deluxe editions were available at Web sites and brick-and-mortar retailers. Mr. Cooper says the number of young people attending his concerts has jumped. So far this year, sales of his CDs, digital albums and other compilations are up significantly in the United States, to about 115,000 from 75,000 in all of 2010, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

THIS hall-of-fame effect is well established in the recording industry. For instance, sales of Bee Gees albums surged to 1.1 million in 1997, the year of the group’s induction, from 210,000 in 1996. Sales of Fleetwood Mac albums jumped to 3.2 million in 1998, when that band was inducted, from 483,000 in 1997, according to SoundScan.

In 2009, good news from Cleveland bolstered the career of Wanda Jackson, “the queen of rockabilly,” who gained fame in the mid-1950s and 60s. After Ms. Jackson was inducted, she collaborated on an album with Jack White of the White Stripes. Suddenly Ms. Jackson, who is now 74, was everywhere, opening for Adele’s 2011 tour and even rocking out, alongside Mr. White, on the “Late Show With David Letterman.”

“She had a phenomenal and, frankly, deserved refocus on her life and career,” says Joel Peresman, the president and chief executive of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation. “I think we give some really deserved artists another chance at the spotlight.”

Their labels get another chance, too. The biggest gains come for artists who, along with managers and record labels, aggressively promote their hall-of-fame status in music magazines and online. Many also rush out or reissue boxed sets, greatest-hits albums and commemorative CD-DVD collections.

“Because of the increased awareness, there’s definitely an increase in sales across their catalogs,” says Jane Ventom, senior vice president for catalog marketing at EMI Music North America.

Bands that split up near the peak of their popularity and then get back together for the induction ceremonies can reap the biggest rewards, because fans often dream of a big reunion tour, à la the Eagles.

“With certain artists, it really gives them another bite at the apple,” Mr. Peresman says.

But this being rock ’n’ roll, things don’t always go smoothly. The Sex Pistols were no-shows at their induction in 2006. When Van Halen was inducted in 2007, fans buzzed that David Lee Roth would get back together with his old band mates and, possibly, agree to a reunion tour. But old squabbles resurfaced, several Van Halen members didn’t show, and Velvet Revolver was brought in to play some Van Halen hits as a tribute.

This year, many in the industry are watching Guns N’ Roses. The front man Axl Rose and the guitarist Saul Hudson, known as Slash, had a fallout during the early 1990s, when the band was at its peak. Speculation is rife that Mr. Rose and Slash might reunite for the ceremony if the band is inducted. Mr. Rose has been playing with a rotating roster of musicians under the Guns N’ Roses name, a move that has sharply divided fans. Big-name managers like Irving Azoff, who successfully reunited the Eagles, have tried and failed to get the original band together.

Mr. Cooper, who is a friend of both Mr. Rose and Slash, says a reunion tour would be a huge hit. The payoff could be tens of millions of dollars, if not hundreds of millions.

“If they got together, they would be selling out football stadiums,” Mr. Cooper says.

Cliff Burnstein, co-founder of Q Prime Management, which represents Metallica and other bands, agrees. “If they announced a tour off of that, it would kill — totally kill,” he says.

Mr. Burnstein has been lobbying this year on behalf of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, who are among the nominees.

Another 2012 nominee, War, is in a similar situation, although on a smaller scale than Guns N’ Roses. War split up in 1986, and several founding members formed the Lowrider Band. War’s lead singer, Lonnie Jordan, who carried on under the original name, hasn’t spoken to his former band mates for years, except in court, but he says that he hopes all of them will show up if War is inducted into the hall.

“We had a great marriage at one time and we made beautiful kids, which is the music,” Mr. Jordan says. “I hold no grudges against anyone.”

Jann Wenner, publisher and co-founder of Rolling Stone magazine and co-founder of the hall of fame, says that most artists put aside their differences when inducted, even if it’s just for a night. The Van Halen fiasco was an anomaly, he says.

Such dramas aside, the big issue for many industry insiders is the selection process itself. Doc McGhee, who manages Kiss, has been particularly critical. He says the hall of fame has had a bias against certain hard-rock bands like Kiss, Bon Jovi and Def Leppard. (Kiss fans have gone so far as to stage rallies outside the hall of fame.)

Allen Kovac, the president of Tenth Street Entertainment, says he had to intervene on behalf of the Bee Gees, who were a client. He called two committee members at the time — Ahmet Ertegun, founder of Atlantic Records, and Seymour Stein of Sire Records — to make a case for the band, a chart-topper in the 1970s.

“There was a great prejudice against one of the best groups of all time,” Mr. Kovac says. “They were being held out of the hall of fame because some guys didn’t like ‘You Should Be Dancing.’ ”

Most bands and managers don’t have that kind of access, and Mr. Kovac says he would like to see the nominating committee overhauled to include representatives from new forces within the industry, like iTunes, Yahoo and Pandora.

Mr. Peresman of the hall of fame says plans are in the works to get the public more involved. The hall recently introduced a feature on its Web site that lets fans vote for nominees. The poll, however, will have no impact on the committee’s decisions.

JON LANDAU, who manages Bruce Springsteen and is chairman of the nominating committee, concedes that the choices are subjective. But he defends the status quo. The hall of fame, he says, recognizes quality and influence, not record sales or flavor-of-the-month popularity.

“I, like everybody else in the room, have favorites,” Mr. Landau says. Committee members, like old band mates, often bicker among themselves. But don’t expect to hear the details.

“We’ve done a good job of keeping the proceedings nontransparent,” he says. “It all dies in the room.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/business/in-rock-hall-of-fame-vote-a-battle-of-industry-egos.html
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87860

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:23 am

Interview with Taz Bentley, drummer in Izzy's band (and in Reverend Horton Heat and The Burden Brothers); Dallas Observer, Feb. 15, 2012:
]b]Before I ask about 76, did you ever play any shows with Izzy Stradlin?[/b]

Yeah, we toured Japan once. About once every year we go out and do an album. He doesn't believe in "the machine" at all. He hates the industry, so initially he licensed the albums overseas and wouldn't tell anyone in America. He's a really big fan of the Internet. Now we'll go record and he'll slap it up on iTunes. That's been a hoot. Duff's on most of them. There was a time when Slash, Izzy, Duff and I got together a few times and recorded some stuff. I think it was Duff who called it Four Wheels, No Axl. But none of that stuff ever got released. It's kind of fun to sit around, be a fly on the wall, playing the drums with these guys and say, "How did I get here?"

Nice.

Izzy has become one of my very, very best friends. When The Burden Brothers stopped touring, Zack quit because he and his wife wanted to start a family, and then Rizzo took that cue to leave as well. So the three of us had the wind taken out of our sails. Towards the end of that last album, touring was really sparse, it was hard and we weren't drawing because nothing was on the radio. What had been on the radio had run its course. That was a real stinker. We have been on hiatus for about four or five years now.

But that first phone call was to Izzy and I said, "I'm done." I was fucking furious. He goes, "No, no, no, just write it down on a guitar." I said, "You're not listening to me, I'm done." He goes, "You have a guitar?" And I go, "Yeah, I have a guitar, but I'm done, I don't want to play music. I don't want to hear music. I'm gonna throw every radio in my house out the window." But he knew exactly what was going on, and he had been through this, obviously in a much bigger arena. In that moment, I really found how close we had become. He really helped me get through this. About a week after that initial conversation, I come home and there's a brand new acoustic guitar on my front porch with a note that says, "Write it down." I started writing and that's the music you heard at my show at the Single Wide.
https://web.archive.org/web/20131012030055/http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/2012/02/taz_bentley_on_a_long_life_of.php
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:25 am

Feb. 6, 2012: Slash tweeted happy birthday to the "redhead" - maybe in an effort to reach out before the HOF induction.

XX. Notes - Page 17 2012_048
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:28 am

Blabbermouth, February 4, 2012:
Guns N' Roses Fans Chip In For LA Weekly Ad Wishing Axl Rose Happy 50th Birthday

A number of Guns N' Roses fans chipped in to buy an LA Weekly ad wishing singer Axl Rose a happy 50th birthday. The ad, which is available at LAWeekly.com, can also be seen below.

XX. Notes - Page 17 Axlbir10
https://archive.blabbermouth.net/news/guns-n-roses-fans-chip-in-for-la-weekly-ad-wishing-axl-rose-happy-50th-birthday/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:21 am

Interview with Ian Astbury of The Cult; Austin American-Statesman, March 6, 2012:
When you run with wolves and jackals, you get wise to the ways of survival. Just ask Ian Astbury, singer for the Cult. Reached at his Los Angeles home, Astbury obliges a question about taking an unknown Guns N’ Roses on tour as the Cult’s opening act in 1987.

“They were the understudies,” Astbury says. “We’d already been through several tours with bands that had junkie tour managers (pulling) revolvers after midnight. On that tour, I was the guy getting chased by the cops.”

[...]

Young and hungry, Astbury handpicked Guns N’ Roses as the Cult’s opening act on the “Electric” tour. The pairing proved pivotal for both bands as they began building bigger audiences.

“There’s a camaraderie that we’ll have (with GNR) that nobody else will ever experience,” Astbury says. “My girlfriend at the time straightened (GNR singer) Axl Rose’s hair, put one of my bandanas on his head, and that became his look. That was my look!”
https://web.archive.org/web/20120308192305/http://www.austin360.com/music/sxsw-preview-the-cult-returns-with-new-record-2218456.html
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Uli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:20 pm

Was this an early version of the Project? If not, what year could this have been?

There was a time when Slash, Izzy, Duff and I got together a few times and recorded some stuff. I think it was Duff who called it Four Wheels, No Axl. But none of that stuff ever got released. It's kind of fun to sit around, be a fly on the wall, playing the drums with these guys and say, "How did I get here?"
Dallas Observer, February 15, 2012
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76731

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:22 pm

Blackstar wrote:Feb. 6, 2012: Slash tweeted happy birthday to the "redhead" - maybe in an effort to reach out before the HOF induction.

Was it unusual for Slash to wish Axl happy birthday before this?
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76731

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:24 pm

Soulmonster wrote:Was this an early version of the Project? If not, what year could this have been?

There was a time when Slash, Izzy, Duff and I got together a few times and recorded some stuff. I think it was Duff who called it Four Wheels, No Axl. But none of that stuff ever got released. It's kind of fun to sit around, be a fly on the wall, playing the drums with these guys and say, "How did I get here?"
Dallas Observer, February 15, 2012
I suppose it was before the Project, when Slash and Duff played on Izzy's album in late 2001 (which became On Down The Road), but Izzy didn't use Slash's parts.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Soulmonster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:33 pm

Soulmonster wrote:
Blackstar wrote:Feb. 6, 2012: Slash tweeted happy birthday to the "redhead" - maybe in an effort to reach out before the HOF induction.

Was it unusual for Slash to wish Axl happy birthday before this?
He hadn't done it - at least not in public - before, as far as I know. But he hadn't tweeted about Duff's birthday before either.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Soulmonster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:48 pm

Blackstar wrote:Interview with Ian Astbury of The Cult; Austin American-Statesman, March 6, 2012:
[...]

Young and hungry, Astbury handpicked Guns N’ Roses as the Cult’s opening act on the “Electric” tour. The pairing proved pivotal for both bands as they began building bigger audiences.

“There’s a camaraderie that we’ll have (with GNR) that nobody else will ever experience,” Astbury says. “My girlfriend at the time straightened (GNR singer) Axl Rose’s hair, put one of my bandanas on his head, and that became his look. That was my look!”
https://web.archive.org/web/20120308192305/http://www.austin360.com/music/sxsw-preview-the-cult-returns-with-new-record-2218456.html
Axl had that look already in 1986, though. E.g. at the Live Like A Suicide release party in the Cathouse, Dec. 23, 1986 (photo by Richard King):

XX. Notes - Page 17 1986_118
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:06 pm

Sebastian Bach again, George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight, March 2012:

Bach: Rick Rubin puts me and Axl Rose and David Lee Roth into his car, and we drive to the Rainbow on Sunset. So Dave's drinking Jack Daniels and with every shot he's getting a little more, you know, jacked. All of a sudden Dave turns around and he goes, “Boom! Looks like I got a couple of pretenders to my throne right here, said I, said I!” And Axl looks at me, and he goes, “What did he just fucking say?!” And Axl goes to Dave, “I'm not a pretender to your throne. I'm not pretending to no throne, I don't pretend to be nothing. I'm not on your throne.” The next day, I got a letter from David Lee Roth, a fax, a handwritten letter saying, “Sebastian, what you heard last night was my pride in rock ‘n’ roll and Jack Daniels, and I love rock ‘n’ roll, and this is my life, and when I hear you sing it reminds me of, like, when I first got into rock.” And I called Axl, and I go, “Dude, David Lee Roth just sent me a letter!” And Axl goes, “He sent me one, too.” And Dave wrote us both very heartfelt, cool letters, you know, saying that we're not pretending to his throne or whatever. But I kind of was pretending to Dave's throne (laughs). This is Sebastian Bach and this has been one of my best stories ever. Boom!
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:45 pm

QMI Agency, March 5, 2012:
HONEY, IT'S SLASH ON THE PHONE

Big Wreck's Ian Thornley, who has some of the best sounding rock pipes in Canada, says he was approached by Velvet Revolver at one point to be their new frontman after Scott Weiland left.

"I got a phone call from Slash -- how f---ing weird is that?" said Thornley. "And they had sent me a few tunes and I went down into my basement studio and just sang over one and just tried to build hooks and I was like, 'This is killer,' and just as soon as you hit play, 'It's f---ing Slash!' There's such an iconic sound, just his swagger with his hands. I just love his guitar playing so it was a joy to do."

Thornley even went down to L.A. to audition with Slash and the rest of Velvet Revolver but there was just one problem -- he wanted to play guitar, too.

"Their manager had an issue with the fact that I was playing guitar. He was like, 'It sounds great. It sounds unbelievable. Is there any chance you can do a couple without the guitar?'

"And I was like, 'Not really, no, 'cause I don't know what I'm going to do. Like, I've never learned those moves.' Weiland's great with all the Mick Jagger-slash-David Bowie stuff that he does. Some guys are more comfortable with that. Honestly, when Slash goes off on some kick ass solo, I'm not going to grab a f---ing tambourine, it's not my bag. And so it was just a thrill to play with those guys. They were just super-cool, sweethearts. I was kind of disappointed, but you're not going to go into a situation like that and go, 'Look, boys, here's what you need to do. Three guitar attack, alright, harmony solos, I was thinking maybe more Skynyrd.'... It was kind of a like a square peg in a round hole kind of thing."
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:48 pm

Blabbermouth, March 21, 2012:
Guns N' Roses' "Greatest Hits" collection, which was originally released in March of 2004, saw a huge digital sales increase this week, up 618 percent to land at position No. 3 on The Billboard 200 chart, after shifting nearly 85,000 copies as part of the 25-cent Amazon price-matching promotions from the new competitor Google Play (both Amazon and Google Play were offering the album digitally for only 25 cents for one day only).

"Greatest Hits" has sold more than 5.2 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.
https://archive.blabbermouth.net/news/guns-n-roses-greatest-hits-sells-85k-copies-in-one-week-as-part-of-25-cent-promotion/

And in Billboard, same date:
Guns N' Roses' "Greatest Hits" makes an eye-popping jump from No. 31 to No. 3 after it was priced for 25-cents in both the Google Play and AmazonMP3 stores for one day last week. It sold 85,000 with a 618% gain (up from 12,000 the week previous).
https://web.archive.org/web/20120424000930/http://www.billboard.com/news/top-10-albums-on-billboard-200-guns-n-roses-1006524752.story#/news/top-10-albums-on-billboard-200-guns-n-roses-1006524752.story
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:23 am

On November 10, 2011, Slash conducted a marketing survey (Facebook post):

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:26 am

Press release, April 6, 2012:
NYC rock artist Alexa Vetere to release debut album Breathe Again produced by Guns N' Roses guitarist Ron 'Bumblefoot' Thal

New York, New York - April 6, 2012

On Friday April 13th, NYC rocker Alexa Vetere will release her debut 8-song collection Breathe Again, with co-writer and producer, Guns N' Roses guitarist Ron 'Bumblefoot' Thal.

"Breathe Again is a journey," says Alexa, "a collective tale of some the most trying times that everyone goes through - death, love, confusion - that made me feel like I wouldn't get through it and represents the aftermath - that first breathe when you realize you will."

The journey began years ago when her father took 14-year-old Alexa to watch a local band in New York City. She hears all of her favorite music she grew up with - Queen, Aerosmith, Kiss - sung and played by Ron 'Bumblefoot' Thal and friends. She then told her dad "I want to learn to play guitar, just like him, from him."

Two weeks later Ron 'Bumblefoot' Thal has her in his studio playing guitar until her fingertips were black, teaching her vocal and writing techniques, listening to Blondie, Sex Pistols, Muse, Courtney Love, and busting out demos of songs every day. Days become months, demos become album tracks, rehearsals become gigs in NY and LA, years of living become lyrical depth. Now in her early 20s pursuing her medical Masters Degree, she shares this chapter of her life in her debut album.

Featuring dueling guitar work from Bumblefoot and Alexa, her previously released title track Breathe Again held #1 position in Rock for over a year, nearing 4 million plays on ClearChannel's New Artist charts. Alexa and Breathe Again were nominated by All Access Magazine's 2007 Awards for Best New Artist, Best Songwriter and Song Of the Year.

Her eight-song collection will be available on iTunes and other digital download stores April 13th 2012.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:30 am

Powerline, April 13, 2012; KISS drummer Eric Singer on Hall of Fame and Axl:
A day before the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony, Powerline veteran scribe Carol Anne Szel had a chance to ask KISS drummer Eric Singer about the Rock Hall’s long-lasting KISS snub and the recent Axl Rose controversy. Here is what Eric had to say about all of it.

Eric Singer: I don’t know Axl that well, but he should do what he wants. I don’t always agree with the choices he makes or how he goes about it. And I think a lot of the guys that are in a band with him, they’ll try to justify it or they’ll say whatever. Because the bottom line is they don’t want to lose their gig. And they’ll lose their gig probably if they really say what they feel. But I think that he has a right to do whatever he wants. And in some ways, honestly, I kind of think, ‘You know something, that’s pretty cool of Axl.’ I think it’s pretty cool that he’s not only thumbing his nose at them, but that he’s giving them the middle finger. I think it’s cool. It’s like ‘Who the fuck are you guys to dictate what should and what shouldn’t be?’ It’s almost, in a lot of ways, if you want to look at it from this point of view, he kind of has a voice for a lot of people who think the whole thing is kind of a joke.
http://www.powerlinemag.com/2012/04/13/eric-singer-talks-rock-hall-kiss-snub-axl-rose-controversy/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:35 am

Billy Corgan on Axl and the Hall of Fame; Triple M/Blabbermouth, June 20, 2012:
In an interview with Becko from Australia's long-running rock station Triple M, Smashing Pumpkins leader Billy Corgan defended Axl Rose's decision to skip Guns N' Roses' recent induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

"I appreciate the position Axl was in and why he didn't wanna go," Corgan said. "I think he felt like he was being set up. He was wise not to go because he would've come out [looking] like a spoilsport. He didn't want to play nice with the old team. And he obviously has his personal reasons."

He added, "Also, the minute he gets up on stage with the original band, then everything else he does that isn't that… it's almost as if he's trying not do something and he's not been doing it for many years. So i can understand why Axl didn't want that put on him."

Billy also said that fans need to recognize that things change and people change.

"You can go on YouTube and watch a clip of Guns N' Roses from 1988 and go 'Wow, what a great band. I wish they'd get back together,'… that's a good thing. But it doesn't address the reality that was a long time ago," he said.
https://archive.blabbermouth.net/news/billy-corgan-defends-axl-rose-s-decision-to-skip-guns-n-roses-induction-into-rock-hall/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:58 am

Interview with Scott Weiland, Rolling Stone, May 1, 2012:
Rumors of a Velvet Revolver reunion have also been swirling ever since a one-off live performance with his former bandmates in January, and Weiland says he’d be open to it down the road. “Yeah, I definitely would, some time,” says Weiland. “If Maynard [James Keenan] can do it with A Perfect Circle and Tool, then there’s no reason why I shouldn’t go and do it with both bands.”
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/scott-weiland-talks-avengers-tune-stp-anniversary-tour-198479/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:01 am

Interview with Ron Anderson (Axl's vocal coach, who in 2012 worked with Tom Cruise for the movie "Rock Of Ages"); Palm Beach Post, June 13, 2012:
Palm Beach Gardens man helped Cruise, ‘Rock of Ages’ star, sing

Vocal coach Ron Anderson has worked with everybody from Axl to Adele.

Leslie Gray Streeter

Before Tom Cruise worked with Ron Anderson, he could sing.

After he worked with Ron Anderson, he saaaaang.

And you’ll be able to hear the difference this Friday when Cruise plays Stacee Jaxx, a glammy, over-the-top singer in the film version of the Broadway ’80s hair-band spectacle Rock Of Ages, filmed in South Florida and also starring Alec Baldwin, Julianne Hough, Russell Brand and Mary J. Blige.

Director Adam Shankman hired renowned vocal coach and Palm Beach Gardens resident Anderson to put the cast through some very specific anthemic paces as electrifying as a pyrotechnic show in a Poison video.

“That music takes a huge amount of work to sing properly,” says Shankman of the hard-charging songs heard in the film, including the work of Poison, Journey, Def Leppard, Guns N’ Roses and others.“Ron is the go-to guy for it.”

For Anderson, a 66-year-old former opera singer who splits his time between Palm Beach Gardens and Los Angeles, tackling the challenges of a good ol’ rocking rebel yell is nothing new. He’s helped project and protect the pipes of Axl Rose, Adele, Kylie Minogue, Enrique Iglesias, Chris Cornell, Dave Navarro, Selena Gomez, Nelly Furtado, Avril Lavinge, Shania Twain, Alicia Keys, Bjork, and several seasons-worth of “American Idol” contestants including Kelly Clarkson and Chris Daughtry.

As grueling as it is sometimes to coax that perfect soulful roar from an untrained throat, Anderson says it can be done with a willingness to work hard.

“If you can sing on pitch, I can help you,” he says. “If you can’t sing on pitch, I won’t take your money. But if you are willing to put in the work, I can help.”

He happens to love his work - “Oh, I have fun with it,” says Anderson, a polite guy with a friendly manner and well-manicured white beard who becomes more animated the more he talks about music.

Anderson started at the top, a prodigy who began belting when he was four years old. He was signed to a pop record label at the age of 13, later singing with the group Young Americans. He says he first realized the importance of competent vocal coaches at the age of 17, when he was ordered to undergo months of vocal rest. He began to develop an operatic voice, and began singing as a baritone around Europe.

Anderson sings and teaches in the Bel Canto technique (literally “beautiful singing” in Italian), which finds its roots in opera but found its way into the rock world - consider the controlled, full-bodied style of Queen’s Freddie Mercury or Donna Summer, with whom Anderson sang in Europe. He got his first students as part of a master class that was broadcast live on the BBC, “seven students I had never seen before. By the fourth note I heard, I was like ‘No, no, no.’ I started fixing it, and in a matter of minutes, all seven voices connected.”

And from there, a career began. He recalls working with a group that he’d vowed to turn around in about two weeks. After meeting with them, he was asked “‘Did you get anything?’ and I said ‘We’re done already!’”

He worked with people aspiring to be singers, including Princess Stephanie of Monaco, and those who already had the goods but needed them perfected, like Soundgarden’s Chris Cornell, “one of the best voices I’ve ever worked with,” Poison’s Bret Michaels, who has “a great work ethic,” and with Guns N’ Roses.

“That was a great time. It was kind of nuts, but it was great,” Anderson says, smiling. “Axl Rose…can outsing all rock stars.”

The evidence of the work Anderson’s done is not only evident audibly, but in the framed gold and platinum records that hang on his wall. And you can hear his effort with Cruise on the Rock of Ages soundtrack, including a spot-on cover of Def Leppard’s Pour Some Sugar On Me.

Although Cruise had sung some on film before, including a bit of Aimee Mann’s Wise Up in Magnolia, Anderson said he was “totally untrained, with no range. But I knew it was there. I went in the first day with Adam Shankman and listened to him, and in five minutes I knew we had a movie. I said ‘He got it. It’s gonna take time, but he got it.”

Because of the theatrical, flame-throwing, Spandex legging-covered party that was the ’80s rock scene, it’s tempting to assume that its songs are musical child’s play. “The music seemed less important than the spectacle at the time, but the music has proven to endure,” Shankman says. “When the pageantry is stripped away, you’re faced with the reality that the music may have been better than we thought.”

And much, much harder to sing - even if the singers may have been intoxicated at the time. “Footloose” star and former “Dancing With The Stars” dancer Julianne Hough, who traveled to Anderson’s Palm Beach Gardens’ home studio with co-star Diego Boneta for six weeks before filming, found that out.

“So many people think hair metal rock stuff is just screaming, but there’s an art to it. It had to be completely crafted to Diego’s and Russell’s and my voices (to be able) to do the screams and that rough-edged sound without hurting our vocal cords,” she says. “Ron helped us build our ranges so much that I feel improved as a singer. He’s incredible.”

Anderson worked with all of the movie’s stars except Catherine Zeta-Jones, who plays a Tipper Gore-esque anti-rock crusader. He seems particularly proud of his efforts with Blige, which whom he’d worked before - “She had no upper register before, and now she can hit a high ‘C.’ She just nails it. She’s a consummate professional.”

Anderson, who’d always believed “I didn’t like Florida at all,” found his way to the area nine years ago when he came to Palm Beach for an awards ceremony and fell in love with it, buying a house here and “never regretting it.” Anderson now spends most of his time here, leaving for business in Los Angeles once a month.

His services are available not just to the rich and famous, or those aspiring to be, but to those who contact him on his Web site (ronandersonvocals.com) and want private coaching. Anderson has also developed an app on iTunes called Voixtek. He doesn’t promise he can make you Axl Rose or Tom Cruise - “You have to have the qualifications, the muscle structure. It’s not all fun and games,” he says. “You have to do the work.”

But he can make the world a little more tuneful, one note at a time.
https://eu.palmbeachpost.com/story/entertainment/movies/2012/06/13/palm-beach-gardens-man-helped/7420006007/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:03 am

Bumblefoot's facebook, May 21, 2012 (in reference to the models at shows controversy):
Bumblefoot: Gisselle, Mrs Bumblefoot never gets angry, we've been together longer than you've been alive and our connection is deeper than you can truly know. *I* think the story is presented dishonestly and it's disrespectful to the families of bandmembers, and I'm bringing it up 1) because they deserve to be respected and defended, 2) a lot of fans feel that access is being granted to people that haven't earned it - by that I mean standing loyally by the band for years, buying a ticket, waiting on sore feet for hours and hours, cheering until they have no voice left, staying til the end and trying to find a way home after public transportation has been shut down... and doing it again the next time we're in town. I have nothing against 'the models', they were offered a fun night out and they deserve equal treatment from the band that any person at the show should get. But 'the band' did not request it, this kinda stuff comes from other people that are offering a good time by whatever means they have, and that's fine. I just feel the need to speak up on behalf our families & the fans, because they're respected & I don't want them feeling like they're not.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:10 am

San Fernando Valley Blog, April 30, 2012:
The guitarist for Guns 'N' Roses, Richard Fortus, has just re-listed his Woodland Hills contemporary home for $429,000 as an approved short sale which we will discuss later. The always informative Lauren Beale at Los Angeles Times Hot Property first discussed this listing about 1.5 years ago on October 27, 2010 when it was listed at $549,000.

Richard Fortus joined GNR in 2001. Prior to GNR, Fortus formed the band, The Eyes and opened for the  Psychedelic Furs (who were on the Valley Girl soundtrack) and formed Love Spit Love with the Psychedelic Furs after they split. He currently tours with GNR (next performance is on May 17th in Dublin) and played on the album "Chinese Democracy." Additionally, he has recorded film scores and toured with Enrique Iglesias and Rihanna.  

According to the listing, this 3 Bed/2 Bath, 1,500 sqft home on 7,827 sqft built in 1955 states:

APPROVED SHORT SALE. .. Celebrity owned gated mini-estate. Stunning home with lush gorgeous landscaping. Pool-outdoor covered patio with built-in kitchen. 3 bedroom 1 3/4 bath - cherrywood plank flooring, copper-plumbing, double-pane windows, new AC, new roof - whole house filtration system. Open floor plan, large fireplace, new voc paint, new electric, new SS fridge and dishwasher, a must see! Beautiful S. O. B. location!
[Update July 22, 2012]: This home sold on July 2, 2012 for $390,000 which was $39,000 less than the most recent listed price and completed in roughly 4 months.
https://web.archive.org/web/20130528045026/http://www.sfvalleyblog.com:80/2012/04/celebrity-real-estate-gun-n-roses.html

Last edited by Blackstar on Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:19 am

Bliss Bridal Magazine, May 9, 2012:
A Famous Dress Caught In The Rain

We have all heard about how Axl Rose, of Guns N' Roses fame, recently rejected his invitation into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. While he may not be concerned with his legacy in the Hall of Fame, one place that he and his famous band do have quite a legacy on is in the world of wedding dresses. "November Rain" and its music video dominated more than just MTV in 1992.

The wedding dress featured in the video would soon become a hot commodity that brides everywhere wanted. Carmela Sutera designed the $8,000 gown. Axl's girlfriend at the time, Stephanie Seymour, was the blushing bride in the video wearing it. Sutera says that Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly are inspirations for her designs. While the November Rain dress is elegant like the two ladies who inspired it, the gown certainly is also very different. This is no ordinary gown. While it may have the conventional wedding white color and accompanying veil, this dress has a flare that alludes to the era it was designed in and to the event it was designed for. The front of the skirt resembles a mini-skirt and reveals the majority of the bride's legs (the garter is even exposed!) The sides of the skirt cascade down from the front short hem to the floor and continue being the traditional length in the back. My favorite part of the dress has to be the gorgeous neckline with the side sleeves. The dress is quite gutsy and not meant to be walked down every aisle. But its ambition is to be admired.

Carmela Sutera still designs wedding gowns and not all of them are as wild as the November Rain dress. So fear not those of you who admire her work, but are afraid of looking a bit too much like a rock star on your own wedding day. Just as Cinderella had to have the perfect glass slipper and Stephanie Seymour had to have the perfect dress to marry her rock star, you, too, will find your own perfect pieces for your day!
https://www.blissbridalmagazine.com/blog/a-famous-dress-caught-in-the-rain/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:28 am

A documentary on Slash was released in 2012 - Slash said he had nothing to do with it; Blabbermouth, May 31, 2012:
Slash Says 'The Cat In The Hat: The Story So Far' Documentary Is 'Not Authorized'

Legendary Velvet Revolver/ex-Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash says that the forthcoming "The Cat In The Hat: The Story So Far" documentary "is not authorized" and that he has "nothing to do with it."

"Slash - The Cat In The Hat: The Story So Far" will be released on on Blu-ray on August 21 via Pride. A two-disc set with a running time of 131 minutes, it is described as follows: "The most iconic rock guitarist since Keith Richards, Slash has achieved the status of 'most interesting hard rock act in the world today'. And 20 years after the demise proper of the group with whom he made his name, he continues to build on an already remarkable career trajectory, while his old sparring partner in Guns N' Roses produces pale imitations of past glories. This two-disc set includes a DVD documentary tracing the life and times of Slash, and a disc of audio interviews with the Cat himself during which he speaks candidly and honestly on almost everything he feels strongly about."
https://archive.blabbermouth.net/news/slash-says-the-cat-in-the-hat-the-story-so-far-documentary-is-not-authorized/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:53 am

Slash comments on the passing of John Lord; Blabbermouth, July 16, 2012:
Legendary guitarist Slash has released the following statement regarding the passing of former Deep Purple/Whitesnake keyboardist Jon Lord:

"[It's a] sad day in rock and roll; Jon Lord has passed on. One of the biggest, baddest, heaviest sounds in heavy metal. One if a kind."

Jon Lord died earlier today (Monday, July 16) in a U.K. hospital at the age of 71. He suffered a fatal pulmonary embolism at the London Clinic after a long battle with pancreatic cancer. Jon was "surrounded by his loving family," a message on his official web site said.

In addition to Deep Purple, Lord played in Whitesnake from 1978 to 1984, having appeared on the albums "Trouble", "Lovehunter", "Ready An' Willing", "Come An' Get It", "Saints & Sinners" and "Slide It In".

Jon Lord is survived by his wife Vickie and two daughters — Amy and Sara.
https://archive.blabbermouth.net/news/slash-jon-lord-had-one-of-the-biggest-baddest-heaviest-sounds-in-heavy-metal/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:56 am

Blabbermouth, August 13, 2012:
Slash was joined by his former Guns N' Roses bandmate Gilby Clarke on stage on Friday, August 10 at the Buffalo Chip Campground during this year's Sturgis motorcycle rally for a performance of the GN'R classic "Paradise City". You can watch fan-filmed video footage of Gilby's appearance below.
https://archive.blabbermouth.net/news/slash-joined-by-gilby-clarke-for-performance-of-guns-n-roses-classic-video/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:04 pm

Factoid related to Duff. Seattle Weekly, June 4, 2012:
Foodie Tip: Duff McKagan Has a Rock 'n Roll Sushi Roll Named After Him at Belltown's Umi Sake House

Man, that Duff McKagan lives a charmed life. Not only is he a hallowed rock star, a fulfilled family man, and the author of Reverb's most popular column, he's also got classy restaurants naming dishes after him. And, unlike that time Larry David had a whitefish sandwich named in his honor, it's actually a really good dish. Last night I was perusing the menu at Belltown's Umi Sake House, which is rightfully known for its delicious and wildly creative sushi rolls, when I spotted an item called Duff's Rock 'n Roll.

Duff's Rock 'n Roll is a monster of flavor, with an interior of crunchy shrimp tempura and cucumber and a decadent topping of avocado and cooked eel drizzled with sweet teriyaki sauce. When I was at Umi last night, we did order it, but I have to admit that by the time it hit our table later in the meal, I had already eaten about my equivalent weight in sushi and couldn't manage another bite. But my boyfriend, being the man he is, valiantly took down the entire roll single-handedly and helpfully supplied this 13-word review: "Zesty and fresh kick in the mouth. Makes u wanna slap some bass."
https://web.archive.org/web/20120610055739/http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/reverb/2012/06/foodie_tip_duff_mckagan_has_a.php
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:08 pm

Blabbermouth, Nov. 20, 2012:
Duff McKagan And Steven Adler To Join Forces For Japanese Dates

According to concert promoter Creativeman Productions Co., Ltd., Duff McKagan's Loaded, the band led by Velvet Revolver/ex-Guns N' Roses bassist Duff McKagan, and ADLER, which features in its ranks Guns N' Roses drummer Steven Adler,will join forces for two shows in Japan on March 7-8, 2013 at Duo Music Exchange in Shibuya.
https://archive.blabbermouth.net/news/duff-mckagan-and-steven-adler-to-join-forces-for-japanese-dates/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:36 pm

Various artist talk about being influenced by GN'R; Artist Direct, June 6, 2012:
Korn, Slipknot, Stone Sour, Nicolas Cage, Efren Ramirez, Derek Mears, Tyler Mane, Alter Bridge, Anthrax, Megadeth, James Durbin, Kevin Rudolf, Asking Alexandria, DJ Jesse Marco of "Project X" and More Celebrate Guns N' Roses

If you made music any time after 1987, you were influenced by Guns N' Roses. That's a cold hard fact.

Appetite for Destruction is just as important as Led Zeppelin IV, Who's Next, or The White Album. It's a seminal landmark of an album that will never get old, and it's as relevant now as ever.

Plus, if you've caught Guns N' Roses recently, you've witnessed live rock 'n' roll at its finest. Legendary singer Axl Rose sounds as powerful as ever, and he commands the stage with inimitable and unmatched charisma. The band—guitarists DJ Ashba, Richard Fortus, and Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal, bass player Tommy Stinson, drummer Frank Ferrer, and keyboardists Dizzy Reed and Chris Pitman—remains unstoppable too. Chinese Democracy kicked all kinds of ass, and whatever Guns N' Roses do next will undoubtedly bring rock to another level altogether again.

So, given the band's immense influence, we asked everyone from Academy Award-winner Nicolas Cage to Korn to Red Hot Chili Peppers to Efren Ramirez to Slipknot about when they discovered Guns N' Roses, their best memory of the band, favorite song, and what the band means to them.

ARTISTdirect.com editor in chief Rick Florino asked everyone the below question…

Check out the epic feature.

When did you first discover Guns N' Roses? What's your favorite Guns N' Roses song? What's your best Guns N Roses memory? What does the band mean to you?

James "Munky" Shaffer of Korn and Fear and the Nervous System: I was probably 17-years-old when I first heard Guns N' Roses. Immediately, I noticed they had that "fuck you" attitude about everything. It wasn't just in the lyrics and the way Axl Rose sang either. The instruments and the tones were so raw. The way Izzy Stradlin and Slash's guitar parts intertwined was absolutely incredible. I was dissecting the way they worked together via the left and right speaker. Appetite for Destruction is a masterpiece. It's probably the best rock 'n' roll album next to Led Zeppelin records. They have so many good songs. You can't pick one. It's like a book. You have to immerse yourself in it from start to finish in order to see what happens at the end. That solo in "November Rain" is one of the best ever. We did some dates with them in Australia last year, and they are so good. The musicians that Axl has behind him are great. They're brilliant guitar players. My wife Evis and I had stayed until the very end of the show. At the end, Axl wanted me to come up and do the rock 'n' roll bow [Laughs]. I was there to represent. It was a great moment that I'll never forget.

Corey Taylor of Slipknot & Stone Sour: I remember the first time I heard Guns N' Roses. It was at three in the morning on MTV's Headbanger's Ball. The video for "Welcome to the Jungle" came on, and we were all sitting there in my mom's trailer in Waterloo, IA. We were trying to make our way through the first hour of the show which was the fluff in order to get to the second hour which was always the good shit. It was the underground stuff. That's when they first premiered "Welcome to the Jungle". I remember all of us stopping and going, "What the fuck is this?" We kind of shit our pants [Laughs]. The next day, we all went out and looked for Appetite for Destruction. It fast became one of our favorite albums. The great thing about Guns N' Roses was they were punk enough for my punk friends, they were metal enough for my metal friends, and they were hard rock enough for my hard rock friends. Also, they were mainstream enough that by the time I was looking for other things, they were starting to explode with the mainstream audience. As big as they got, they were still a fantastic hard rock band. They were the gutter for everyone to see, and it was beautiful. It was the first time we stopped, looked, and said, "Well, fuck, if they can do it, why can't we?" I remember seeing the Ritz concert as well on MTV. Seeing them live was fantastic. I got to see them with Aerosmith on the Permanent Vacation tour. Axl just walked up to the microphone and went, "This song's called 'Mr. Brownstone'." I was like, "Holy fucking shit, it's on!" I was a lifelong fan. Their legacy is un-fucking-deniable. They were still relevant when the alternative revolution happened and all of the frou-frou bands went away. Guns N' Roses was still there. They basically told everyone to fuck off. What more attitude do you need?

Nicolas Cage [ Face/Off, Leaving Las Vegas, Drive Angry, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance]: I think Axl is one of the great writers of the last century; his piano playing is amazing and that song "Prostitute" is incredible! Guns N' Roses is outstanding.

Josh Klinghoffer of Red Hot Chili Peppers and Dot Hacker: Guns N' Roses is a band I listened to as a kid that I still love. I remember my father bought the Appetite for Destruction cassette for me. He works in film and television. He brought it home from the Warner Bros. store. He'd always get tapes for me and bring them home. I also remember listening to Lies with my mother in the car and apologizing for the lyrics. I had Appetite when "Patience" came out, and that was a huge deal. At the time, I was a drummer, and that song had no drums. It made me think of music in a different way.

Efren Ramirez [Napoleon Dynamite, Crank, Eastbound & Down]: I first heard Guns N' Roses in the film, The Dead Pool. It was directed by Buddy Van Horn, and Dirty Harry was handling it! Clint Eastwood was awesome as always. Then, I remember seeing the band's video for "Welcome to the Jungle" on MTV. My grandma flipped out calling them, "Bola de locos"—which means "bunch of crazies". But I loved it because it was raw. It was such a different sound with Axl's vocals and Slash's guitar riffs. My favorites will always be "Welcome to the Jungle" and "November Rain". Yeah, okay, we know they became famous [Laughs]. That's great, but we also must remember this band had such great talent. Slash and Axl were such an awesome duo like Kurt Cobain and Dave Grohl [Nirvana], Perry Farrell and Dave Navarro [Jane's Addiciton], Robert Plant and Jimmy Page [Led Zeppelin], David Gahan and Martin Gore [Depeche Mode] and Napoleon and Pedro [Laughs]. Yeah, you feel me! I actually kissed my first girlfriend to "November Rain". It was at some house party. Her name was Magdeline, and she was half-French and half-Argentinian. It was around Halloween, and to this day no girl has ever kissed me as she did. It was fucking awesome!

Derek Mears [Friday the 13th, Predators, Pirates of the Caribbean]: I first heard and saw Guns N' Roses on MTV with their "Welcome to the Jungle" video. I remember thinking, "Who the 'eff' are these guys? They're amazing!" Their hard rock I-don't-give-a-shit style kicked me in my nards. I was a fan ever since. My favorites song is "Mr. Brownstone"…next question. My best Guns N' Roses memory is watching Terminator 2: Judgment Day and being bummed that only part of "You Could Be Mine" was played in the film. I wanted to hear the song in its entirety! To me, Guns N' Roses represents the wild untamed creative sound of metal that has, and will, stand the test of time.

Tyler Mane [Rob Zombie's Halloween, Halloween II, Troy X-Men]: Right from their first album, Appetite For Destruction, I was hooked on Guns N' Roses. That album has two of my favorite songs to date," Welcome To the Jungle" and "Sweet Child O' Mine." I started to make my trek to Los Angeles to pursue my dreams of becoming an actor around that time and every time I'd come to town and be cruising around and hear "Welcome to the Jungle" on the radio (because it was being played all the time then), and I'd get excited about my life and what was to come. I know it sounds stupid but that's the truth! I don't know if you know this about me, but I was an inspiring guitarist myself and Slash's style of playing was amazing to me. There's something so individual about what he does and how he does it. I've never been able to find another guitarist that matches his style of soloing. When Slash plays, you always know it's him. I realized I didn't have a chance at the guitar, so I moved on to wrestling and acting. So thanks Slash for the career direction, just kidding [Laughs].

Keith Nelson of Buckcherry: I remember being in college and sitting there watching the "Welcome to the Jungle" video and having my mind blown. Like everyone else, I was like, "What the fuck is that?" [Laughs] It was very exciting and inspiring. It was nice to see a bunch of dudes that didn't look like chicks at the time. You really have to go back in the time machine and remember what the most popular stuff was. It was a bunch of guys that looked like girls. Guns N' Roses wasn't that. It was a bunch of dudes off the street. It was raw and had energy unlike anything else. It was very inspiring.

Ben Bruce of Asking Alexandria: I remember I was probably about 12-years-old, and my stepdad started introducing me to a lot of different rock bands such as The Scorpions, Deep Purple and, obviously, Guns N' Roses. I fell in love with Appetite for Destruction. To this day, I still believe it to be one of rock's best albums. The raw energy, the aggression and the complete lack of care or respect for anything other than themselves that seemed to pour from the album really hit me hard. It was around this time that I truly started working hard on guitar and songwriting. My best memory to date is definitely playing with them in New Jersey this year. Opening up for Guns N' Roses was just an insane experience that I will never forget.

Johann Urb [Resident Evil: Retribution, 2012, Strictly Sexual]: I was in junior high school in Finland, and one of my friends was super into Guns N' Roses. It was so nice to hear something original, powerful, and rebellious after all of those years of soft rock hair bands that were just about shoulder pads, tight jeans, and makeup. These guys rocked the house in a whole new way and made everyone else look like sissies—except for real metal bands, of course. "Raw" is the word that comes to mind, when I think of Guns N' Roses. Axl's voice and range were sick! The lyrics were insanely good, and they had the badass hardcore rock vibe balanced out with perfect ballads. They were the best rock band of that time, hands-down. I have lots of great memories and powerful dreams of Los Angeles—my future home, before I even moved here—associated with the band. I have so many memoires of partying and singing virtually every song on Appetite For Destruction and "Patience" over and over again with my closest friends over many a drink. Lots of fun was had, and lots of moshing was involved.

DJ Jesse Marco [Project X]: I heard "Welcome to the Jungle" on the radio probably when I was three-years-old driving in the car with my mom. It may be cliché, but "Sweet Child O' Mine" really does it for me, every time. I remember asking my guitar teacher to teach me the opening solo, and then I immediately went and showed all my friends. My best Guns N' Roses memory is probably Axl hanging out in the DJ booth while I'm playing "Welcome To The Jungle" and having him ask me to play some hip-hop. He's a big hip-hop fan I guess. Guns N' Roses are just synonymous with good energy. I feel like going out, partying and shouting every word to "Sweet Child O' Mine" is now a right of passage. I just don't think it'll ever get boring, it's classic.

Sid Wilson of Slipknot: I remember hearing Guns N' Roses on bootlegs and people saying, "They are better than L.A. Guns!" When Appetite for Destruction came out, I was on it. I used to skate to that album all of the time! [See more about Sid's phenomenal solo record here!]

Zakk Wylde of Black Label Society: I first discovered Guns N' Roses in 1987 when I went to California to play with Ozzy Osbourne. There are so many GNR songs to choose from. They are all slamming. My best memory was seeing them in 1988 at the Felt Forum underneath the Garden. Barely any production, it was nothing but the music, and it truly showed how amazing they were. It was a breath of fresh air from what was going on in the music scene. They lived, breathed, and bled what they believed in which made them the real deal.

Mark Tremonti of Creed and Alter Bridge: I remember exactly where I was when "Welcome to the Jungle" came on the radio. I was in Chicago in the car with my dad headed to soccer practice. The song came on the radio. When he got back in the car, I was like, "Listen to this." Before you knew it, the song blew up and they were biggest band on earth. I think everybody loves it. It's one of the greatest rock albums of all time. It was great to play with Slash. He's a gentleman and a great guy. I've gotten to play with him a few times, and I got to spend a few minutes talking to him. He's a down-to-earth genuine guy.

Kevin Rudolf: I'm a huge Guns N' Roses fan! I was a kid, and "Welcome to the Jungle" had just come out on MTV. I looked at them, and I remember going, "Holy shit, that guy has fucking black teeth" [Laughs]. Watching Axl Rose on stage, that's the only thing I remember! I obviously grew to love their records, but that was my very first impression. First of all, they write incredible songs. They're real players, but they also have an undeniable chemistry. When they come together, it's magic. Did I relate to "Mr. Brownstone" when I was six-years-old? No, I didn't know what they were talking about but I loved the record. I met Duff McKagan well after he was in Guns N' Roses. I met him in a club in downtown New York. I told him I was a huge fan and we talked for a couple of minutes. That was super cool.

Scott Ian of Anthrax: I think I first heard them in early 1987. I heard tracks before Appetite for Destruction was out. I saw them at the Ritz in NYC not long after that as well. "It's So Easy" is my favorite Guns N' Roses song. My best memory is walking in the dressing room at the Ritz and Izzy and Slash both said "S.O.D.!" They brought rock back at a time when there wasn't any by making a great record that has obviously stood the test of time...One of the best bands of my lifetime.

Adrian Patrick of Otherwise: I was at my cousin's house, and I saw the music video for "Welcome to the Jungle" on MTV. I was a little kid. I remember that scene when Axl steps off the bus in L.A. Growing up in Las Vegas, we were so close to Los Angeles. Our parents took us to Disneyland every couple of years. I was very inundated with the L.A. West Coast vibe. I remember that scene when Axl steps off the bus on Hollywood Boulevard. My favorite city in the world was Los Angeles, and I had no idea why. It was probably because of Guns N' Roses. Axl is one of the top 5 baddest vocalists in rock 'n' roll ever.

James Durbin: You've got to love your roots and where you come from. I was in middle school, and I heard the big songs "Welcome to the Jungle" and "Sweet Child O' Mine". I really liked them. We were at Costco, and I saw they were selling Guns N' Roses's Greatest Hits for ten bucks. Since it was so cheap, I begged my mom to get it for me. We got it. It's got all of the greatest, most popular songs on there, and then I got a little deeper into it and found the strange and eclectic sounds. I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens at this Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame Induction ceremony with these guys. Are they really all going to go up there? Who knows…My favorite song would have to be "Nightrain". The subject matter is pretty fucked up, and that's why I like it. It's a big middle finger to society.

Dave Garofalo of SafetySuit: I first heard Guns N' Roses when I was 13-years-old and had never touched a guitar yet. The minute I saw Slash standing on the piano in the "November Rain" music video, I knew two things immediately—one, I have to learn how to play guitar and two, that is the greatest thing I have ever seen. Slash is the reason I play guitar right now. His heartfelt guitar riffs taught me how to blend melody that shoots into your soul with guitar awesomeness that will leave your face on the floor in a puddle of melted wax. My favorite song would have to be "November Rain". Guns N' Roses forever!

Mike Portnoy of Adrenaline Mob: I first heard "Welcome to the Jungle" on MTV, like everybody else. The songs would cling in your subconscious. They were all over the radio constantly. I was immersed in the thrash world at the time, but there was a part of me that grew up listening to The Rolling Stones and Aerosmith, so I could appreciate where Guns N' Roses was coming from. The songwriting was great, and Slash's guitar playing was amazing. The Use Your Illusion albums came out, and not only did they have this gritty, dirty Aerosmith side, but they also had this epic side. They wrote these epics that were big and grandiose. I appreciated their musicality.

Jeff Kendrick of DevilDriver & Founder of AllAxess.com: Guns N' Roses was one of the first hard rock heavy metal bands that I have ever heard and got into. In 1987, I was seven-years-old and I had a classmate in school whose older brother gave him Appetite For Destruction. I remember that this kid would talk about Guns N' Roses like they were the best band ever. I was a shy, timid little kid at the time, but I sincerely remember hearing the band and being completely blown away by what I heard. He put on "Welcome To the Jungle", and I will never forget hearing the intro guitar part and then the song as it builds and builds. I definitely have to say I was a little scared—considering I was seven—but it was one of the those empowering moments from my childhood where I started to feel I was growing up! To this day, I still get ecstatic to listening to any Guns N' Roses song. Now I am a little more adjusted and comfortable to it, but I will never forget the first time I heard it!

J-Dog of Hollywood Undead: Charlie Scene is obsessed with them. He always has been since he was 15-years-old. He had all of the Use Your Illusion I and Appetite for Destruction posters on the wall. I love the musicianship. I think "Sweet Child O' Mine" is one of the top 20 best written songs of all time.

Joel Birch of The Amity Affliction: I was about eight-years-old and riding the bus to school with some kids who were in high school at the time and one of them was rocking the shirt with the two guns and the roses on it—the one that all the hipster fucks wear these days. I was staring at it, and so the kid gave me his Walkman and he had Guns N' Roses playing on a mix tape that he'd made. Funnily enough that's how I discovered Metallica and Megadeth as well. It was quite the mix tape. I thought it was amazing. It was so epic. When you're eight-years-old and you go from listening to Frank Sinatra and those shitty compilations like Best of the 50s and shit like that to hearing something as heavy as Guns N' Roses were back then, it was mind blowing. I don't know why, but I loved how pissed-off the music sounded. When that was coupled with how they presented themselves, I thought they were the coolest motherfuckers I'd ever seen [Laughs]. My best memories are probably smoking my first cigarette, smoking my first joint and just hanging out with my deadbeat mate up the road for about five years just listening to the same records. They're only the best memories because they're funny [Laughs]. I don't smoke weed or cigarettes, but for some reason when I was ten-years-old, I thought they were both cool as fuck!

Syd Duran of Valora: I heard Guns N' Roses a little later on in my life. I was dating a guy in a glam rock band, and he taught me a lot about real rock 'n' roll music and we used to watch rockumentaries all of the time on VH1. I got to know a lot about Guns N' Roses and other bands. I appreciate the musicianship. I saw them at Inland Invasion in 2006, and they put on a great show. I'm a huge Sebastien Bach fan, and they brought him on stage. That was a cool experience for me!

Steve Krolikowski of Fear and the Nervous System and Repeater: In my tape player in seventh grade, I had Warrant, Poison's Flesh & Blood, and two records by Whitesnake. Those things got destroyed by Appetite For Destruction. The only thing that survived Nirvana's Nevermind was Appetite For Destruction. Everything with hair on it got washed away. The album was on the radio for ten years after that. It sounded different than everything out there. It was like a Led Zeppelin record or The Rolling Stones' Exile on Main Street. You can't forget every song. On that record, they were completely in that space of the legend of rock 'n' roll. That is the one encapsulation that stays there to this day. I can't think of another rock 'n' roll record that sounds this genuine in 25 years. It's a punk record, a metal record, and a rock 'n' roll record all in one.

Javier Colon [Winner of NBC's The Voice Season 1]: I probably knew everything on Use Your Illusion I and Use Your Illusion II [Laughs]. I could play you every song. They were high on the list. I could do some "Sweet Child O' Mine" on the acoustic right now if you asked me to. That was all over MTV back in the day, and I would watch MTV all the time so it was what I would listen to.

David Ellefson of Megadeth: Guns N' Roses is the perfect example of how those who are most likely to fail in life become the most likely to succeed in rock 'n' roll. They had the right heart, spirit, and guts to go against the grain and be real rock 'n' roll heroes. You could tell they were going to be HUGE the first time you heard them. They were so brash and offensive; how could you NOT hail them?!

Robert Ortiz of Escape The Fate: Are you kidding me? Guns N' Roses is everything. They've been my favorite band since I was born. Appetite for Destruction is hands down the best rock album ever made. There is no argument; this is simply a fact. It is the second best overall album ever made just behind Michael Jackson's Thriller. This band is the perfect blend of everything you could possibly need in a musical group. The way they look is the perfect complement to how they sound. They're really cool and styling, but they're dirty and honest at the same time. It's why they were so huge. It's why you can show them to a young kid who is far removed from the era of listening to cassette tapes and he won't think it's old people music. They were controversial without having to think about being controversial. They were badass, and girls thought they were hot. The most important thing about Guns 'n Roses is that they never, ever compromised. They spared no expense and didn't care what you thought. "November" Rain is my favorite song. Imagine a nine-minute epic song being a hit radio single. In an era where music videos could be made for millions of dollars and make an artist millions of dollars, no one came close to what they created. I've been all over the world, heard thousands upon thousands of songs and seeing countless concerts, but watching Slash walk out of the little chapel in the middle of the desert to play the best solo of all time is still the coolest thing I've ever seen. I still watch that video and it takes me back into a place of wonder. I lose all sense of reality and never want to leave that vibe, like being a child. This band is magical. While I wasn't trying to look like Slash—I was actually going for Michael Jackson—he gave me the confidence to be who I am and embrace my curly hair and say, "Fuck it". I don't mind being told I look like him.

P.S.

How can I get into the induction ceremony? Fuck yeah!

Rick DeJesus of Adelitas Way: When I was a little kid, I stole Appetite for Destruction from my older brother. I used to listen to it when I was playing video games in my room. "November Rain" is brilliant. There's no other way to describe it. Growing up on them, when I listen to songs like "Patience", "Civil War", "Mr. Brownstone", it's like a timeline of my life. It brings me back to moments when I was younger. They are a huge part of the soundtrack of my life. They are one of my favorite bands of all time.

Hyro Da Hero: They're legends in music. I decided to change the radio station when I was younger so I got to hear every classic rock song they played. I was the one dude that changed the station. I checked them out and dug it. Every Guns N' Roses song is amazing. You see Slash and he's a brother ripping up the guitar. I saw Slash soloing in the "November Rain" video, and I was blown away. The way he gets down is amazing. I love the song he did with Michael Jackson—"Give In To Me". If Michael Jackson gets you, you know you're good [Laughs]!

Eric Turner: When Appetite for Destruction came out, I was floored like everyone else. They were so raw and powerful. I'll admit that I could do a pretty good "serpent" dance impression of Axl Rose at school dances [Laughs]. My favorite song was first "Sweet Child O' Mine". Then when I bought the album, I really got into it. I played it over and over for weeks, and "Welcome to the Jungle" became my favorite. I guess they were the first band that lived up to Led Zeppelin for me.

Mike Schleibaum of Darkest Hour: I first heard them in my friend Raul Gomez's basement. I remember thinking the guitar sounded like god, so I would say the guitar impressed me [Laughs]. I also loved the songs though. They were complex but simple at the same time. I loved Axl's voice too. It reminded me of AC/DC but also something different. In a time when glam singers weren't as gruff, Guns N' Roses was the shit. To me, they are rock and roll personified—all of the self-destructive, hedonistic, greedy attributes of what everyone "thinks" a rock and roll band should be. These guys pushed it to the point most people only dream of and now, well they're the rock band that most rock bands are measured against. I remember seeing them at RFK Stadium with Metallica back in the day. It was crazy. They took like two hours to setup and we only got to see a few songs because the metro was leaving and well half the stadium had to leave at 11:30. However, during that entire two-hour setup, girls flashed their boobs on the big screen. I remember thinking, "This is amazing". Boobs make almost everything cool, but now that I'm older I know; you can see boobs anytime. This is Guns N' Roses.

Donald Carpenter of Eye Empire, ex-Submersed: I think, a lot like everyone else, Appetite For Destruction was my introduction to Guns N' Roses and what a way to start! There are a lot of timeless tracks. I personally like the entire layout of "Civil War". Lyrically, to me, it was their most profound statement—not a lot of flash, just meat and potatoes. Man, I wish I had some personal experience or a concert to reference, but I don't have any. My favorite memory is that they came along as I was discovering my own rock rebellion, and they played a huge part in that soundtrack—the memory of my rebellious youth. They are one of the last truly "iconic" bands we've had. The pickins are slim nowadays, and they were the real deal. It's something I strive for and look up to.

Brett Ditgen of Red Line Chemistry: I first discovered them on MTV when the "Welcome to the Jungle" video came out. It's hard to pick a favorite but if I have to I'll go with "Rocket Queen". There are a lot of good memories associated with them, but the best is jumping on my bed as a kid screaming and air guitaring the end of "Paradise City" like I was on stage. What do they mean to me?...They are legends of my time.

Veno of Seven Circle Sunrise: I’m not really sure when I discovered Guns N' Roses, but I was definitely very young. I have an older brother who listened to Guns N’ Roses, Metallica, and all that. He’s the one who introduced me to Guns N' Roses among others. My Favorite song would have to be “November Rain”. My best memory would be when I saw them live in 2006 in Cleveland, OH. Hearing the breakdown at the end of "November Rain live" was one of the best concert experiences I’ve had, it gave me chills. To me, when I hear Guns N' Roses I can’t help but think of the innocence of childhood, before reality set in. "Sweet Child O' Mine" always takes me back in time.

Taki Sassaris of Eve to Adam: I was sitting in my bedroom in Florida. We had this shitty little television. We weren't really allowed to watch MTV. My brother and I stayed up past our bed time and we were watching MTV. I saw the "Welcome to the Jungle" video. Alex and I were into a lot of different hair metal at the time. When Guns N' Roses came on, it was something different. It had such an aggressive undertone. It had a street element that some of the other groups didn't have. The danger was really apparent. There was something exhilarant about it. I was at The Playboy Mansion for a Ronnie James Dio cancer benefit, and I was at one of the last tables. Lo and behold, I was seated next to Slash. I got a chance to talk to him. I don't get starstruck very easily, but I was nervous to say the least. He's one of my idols and the guys who inspired me to get into rock 'n' roll. I congratulated him on the induction. Axl is out there on tour now, and he's amazing. The music is timeless. "Welcome to the Jungle" is still relevant now more than ever. G N'R Lies is probably my favorite.

—Rick Florino
https://web.archive.org/web/20120609052437/http://www.artistdirect.com/entertainment-news/article/korn-slipknot-stone-sour-nicolas-cage-efren-ramirez-derek-mears-tyler-mane-alter-bridge-anthrax-megadeth-james-durbin-kevin-rudolf-asking-alexandria-dj-jesse-marco-of-project-x-and-more-celebrate-guns-n-roses/10124768
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:40 pm

The Sun/Blabbermouth, August 15, 2012:
Lottery Winner Says He Wants To Reunite Original Lineup Of Guns N' Roses

A British man who won £148 million (approximately $232 million) in Friday's (August 10) EuroMillions lottery draw has said he wants to spend some of that money reuniting the original lineup of Guns N' Roses.

Adrian Bayford, a 41-year-old music shop owner, told The Sun, "I think I would just have to get Guns N' Roses together — the original lineup, mind. I'm a real fan."
https://archive.blabbermouth.net/news/lottery-winner-says-he-wants-to-reunite-original-lineup-of-guns-n-roses/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:52 pm

Blabbermouth, Nov. 19, 2012:
Guns N' Roses guitarist Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal makes a guest appearance on "LIVE4EVR", a new solo track from Hotel Diablo vocalist Rick Stitch. The song, which will be made available on November 27 via iTunes, Amazon and RickStitch.com, will appear on Stitch's forthcoming solo album.

A sample of "LIVE4EVR" can be heard in the YouTube clip below.

"This is the first tune from my album which will drop next year and it's exciting to do something new and be able to bring some old and new friends on board," says Stitch. "I have been a big fan of Bumblefoot's for some time now and his playing seemed like a natural fit for this track. He's really pro and an all-around great guy so it was a great experience having him add his signature style solos to the track. I'm looking forward to more tracks featuring him as well as other great players."

As previously reported, Hotel Diablo — the new band featuring guitarist Alex Grossi (Quiet Riot), Stitch, bassist Mike Duda and drummer Mike Dupke (both of W.A.S.P.) — has tapped nine-time Emmy Award-winning and MTV Video Music Award-nominated director Fabio Jafet to direct the video for the song "Psycho, California". Shooting will take place in December in Los Angeles.

Hotel Diablo's "The Return To Psycho, California" was released in September via Scarlet Records. The CD was produced by Gilby Clarke, with additional production by Matt Starr (Ace Frehley, Beautiful Creatures). "The Return To Psycho, California" is also available digitally via iTunes, Amazon and other online music retailers.
https://archive.blabbermouth.net/news/hotel-diablo-vocalist-collaborates-with-guns-n-roses-guitarist/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 18 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next