APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

My World

4 posters

Go down

My World Empty My World

Post by Soulmonster Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:15 pm

My World Newbor11
MY WORLD
Album:
Use Your Illusion II, 1991, track no. 13.

Written by:
Axl Rose.

Musicians:
Keyboards, Drums, Effects: Axl, Johann Langlie
Vocals: Axl

Live performances:
'My World' has never been played live.
Lyrics:

You wan'da step into my world
It's a sociopsychotic state of bliss
You've been delayed in the real world
How many times have you hit and missed?

You cat-scan shows disfiguration
I wanna laugh myself to death
With a misfired synapse
with a bent configuration
I'll hold the line while you gasp for breath

You wanna talk to me
So talk to me
You wanna talk to me (7 times)
You can't talk to me
You don't understand your sex
You ain't been mindfucked yet
Let's do it (3 times)
Oh my distorted smile

Guess what I'm doing now

Quotes regarding the song

[…] there's one [song] I guess, you'd call it New Age music with synthesisers on it that Axel [sic] did which is pretty intense.
Rip It Up, September 1991

'My World' happened when we’re sitting and were bored. We’ve been working on "Live and Let Die" the whole night and it was early in the morning. I’d been listening to a lot of industrial music and all of a sudden I said, "Hey man, let's do something. Let's see what happens. Let's just make it short and sweet and see what we come up with." In three hours we wrote and recorded the song. (...) I'll expose a little more of myself - we were also on 'shrooms. A friend of mine had stuck some mushrooms in my tea and I didn't know it. All of a sudden we were being really mellow. So it was kind of a socio-psychotic state of bliss
Musician, June, 1992

You know the song My World on Use Your Illusion II? I want to do a whole project like that by myself and with whoever else might want to be on it. But right now it’s just me and a computer engineer. It’s just raw expression – just putting ideas together. We just go in, say “what do we want to do” and get to work. We completed My World in three hours. It’s something that I need to get out of my system, but it’s not something I want to base my career and future on.
Hit Parader, 1992

There was one song on that record that I didn't even know was on it until it came out, 'My World'. I gave it a listen and thought, 'What the fuck is this?'
Rolling Stones, October 29, 1992

I think My World's great, too.

Axl would later claim Slash had agreed to include the song because he expected Axl would be criticized for it:

Great question and here goes for all your inquisitive minds with a bit you aren’t aware of but is the real story…Unfinished 1st run 1st dabbling/experimenting all in fun demo that became Duff’s favorite song at the time telling me how he loved to blast it at his house with Ice T and the Bodycount guys before Illusions came out and before it was decided to be on the record. I wanted to try and develop it and wanted guitars of some kind but Slash felt and his words at the Record Plant in all seriousness were “It’s perfect” and Slash and Duff were the deciding factor to have it on the album. [...] Personally I feel Duff legitimately liked it but I can’t say Slash did in the same way. In fact I feel he was keenly aware some would take issue with the track and against me so for him in that sense it was “perfect”. Imo Duff wasn’t aware or part of that and was “used” unwittingly for support in talking me out of developing it or not including it which at the time I had no real intention of using as is.

My World Newbor11

Last edited by Soulmonster on Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:42 pm; edited 6 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76731

Back to top Go down

My World Empty Re: My World

Post by Soulmonster Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:34 am

Unpopular Opinion: Guns N' Roses' "My World" Was a Track Ahead of Its Time
By Nicholas Pell

I recently had some friends visiting from the States. That’s right, kids; Not only do I not live in L.A. anymore, I don’t even live in America. It can be a bummer not being able to walk around with a handgun or five, and they don't even celebrate Independence Day here, but all in all, it seems to be working out.

Anyway, my friend from “across the pond” and I were discussing Guns N' Roses. He’s of the opinion that “November Rain” is a great song. I had to correct him on this matter, as one does. He’s used to it. In eighth grade I refused to start a band with him because he didn’t own a copy of Bleach.

“November Rain” is sort of the new “Layla.” The song itself sucks but the coda is pretty cool. If I could just stick the piano bit from “Layla” on the jukebox at a bar, I’d pump it full of quarters, put that sucker on repeat and stand at the bar pretending to be Ray Liotta in Goodfellas for a few hours. I’m not sure what film fantasy niche “November Rain” fills, but it’s hard to argue that Slash’s blazing solo at the end is anything less than impeccable. It’s not even that the Queen outtake that is the rest of “November Rain” is bad, it’s just bad for a GnFnR song.

My friend tried to name songs he thought I’d agree were worse than “November Rain.” He basically ended up picking a handful that I rank among GNR's best work from the Illusion era: “Double Talkin’ Jive,” “Shotgun Blues,” “Breakdown” and “Pretty Tied Up.” We’re used to disagreeing about such matters and I figured it was just time to drop my atom bomb on the subject.

“I’d rather listen to ‘My World.’”

It’s not bullshit. I would rather listen to “My World” than “November Rain.” What’s more, I think “My World” is a criminally underrated track. When I first heard it, tucked all the way at the end of Use Your Illusion II, I had the same thought I think a lot of guys my age did: “Is this a joke? Is Axl joking around?” On first pass it sounds like Axl attempting to rap, but when listened to with 25 years of hindsight, you can hear it for what it really is: Axl attempting Nine Inch Nails.

The backing track is really what gives it away. Those keyboards are straight off of Pretty Hate Machine. It’s no mistake that sometime NIN guitarist Robin Finck clocked many years in the increasingly bizarre Axl Rose solo project known as “Guns N’ Roses.” In this song, we see not a throwaway track, a bizarre inside joke or even the rest of the boys indulging Axl. What you’re seeing is the shape of Guns N’ Roses to come.

I’m pretty sure I’m the only rock critic to like either Lulu or Chinese Democracy, let alone both. The latter was in many ways a fusion of “November Rain” and “My World.” Songs heavy on the NIN sauce include “Better,” “Shackler’s Revenge” and the title track, while the ballads showcase Axl’s longtime obsession with Queen.

“My World” is a window into where Guns N’ Roses would go nearly 20 years after the release of the lllusion records. It’s an often-overlooked track from the greatest rock & roll band of all time. Give it a listen and see if you can’t just appreciate it on its own terms.
Source: http://www.laweekly.com/music/unpopular-opinion-guns-n-roses-my-world-was-a-track-ahead-of-its-time-7102358
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by KickinBackInTheShadows Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:36 am

Very interesting. Although I think Slash said it was "perfect" because he didn't want to play on it, especially because that would mean it could be done live. Although, yes, I could imagine to some degree he didn't really want it to be successful either.
KickinBackInTheShadows
KickinBackInTheShadows

Plectra : 2801

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:45 am

KickinBackInTheShadows wrote:Very interesting. Although I think Slash said it was "perfect" because he didn't want to play on it, especially because that would mean it could be done live. Although, yes, I could imagine to some degree he didn't really want it to be successful either.

Welcome to the forum!

Considering how dismissive Slash was towards synths and any deviation too far away from the music they started with, I doubt he really appreciated including My World on the record, despite what he might have told Axl at the time. So yeahh, maybe it was perfect because he knew it is was a curiosity never meant to be taken seriously nor played live.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:32 am

In 2015, Dizzy would participate on Loudwire's "Wikipedia: Fact or Fiction" series and be asked if it is true that My World was written in three hours while high on mushrooms:

That's fiction. [laughs] That's fiction, I wish that was true. I don't know, maybe it is true. I got to go with fiction, though, I don't remember any mushrooms being involved.

It was Axl who had mentioned mushrooms and writing the song in 3 hours, but not suggested Dizzy was took any mushrooms or where even there.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:45 am

Axl played "My World" before a GNR show in 1991

ludurigan
ludurigan

Plectra : 5497

Blackstar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:28 pm

ludurigan wrote:Axl played "My World" before a GNR show in 1991

That's interesting. I don't speak Spanish, what show was it? I don't think they did any shows in Spanish speaking countries in 1991.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:25 pm

Soulmonster wrote:
ludurigan wrote:Axl played "My World" before a GNR show in 1991
That's interesting. I don't speak Spanish, what show was it? I don't think they did any shows in Spanish speaking countries in 1991.
It was at the show in Denver (July 11, 1991).

Last edited by Blackstar on Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87860

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:29 pm

A one-time occurrence or did he do it more times?
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:55 pm

Soulmonster wrote:A one-time occurrence or did he do it more times?
I'm not sure, but judging from the bootlegs from around that time, My World was played over the PA as intro only at that show. At the other shows (at least the ones there are bootlegs of that include the intro) different songs were played (My Way by Sid Vicious/Sex Pistols, Everybody Knows by Leonard Cohen, various soundtracks etc.)
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87860

Soulmonster, Uli and ludurigan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:53 am

I am sorry I guess I expressed myself poorly. I didn't notice it at the time that I wrote the post

By "Axl played" I mean that Axl told someone play the song over the PA as an intro to the show as Blackstar noticed.

The video is in Portuguese language and it is done by Felipe, he has a great youtube channel with GN'R info and I believe he is a registered user here on the forum under the nickname "lipeguns" or something similar to that

According to Felipe the only known time when the song was played live as an intro was on that particular show in Denver on July 11, 1991
ludurigan
ludurigan

Uli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:57 am

Blackstar wrote:

I'm not sure, but judging from the bootlegs from around that time, My World was played over the PA as intro only at that show. At the other shows (at least the ones there are bootlegs of that include the intro) different songs were played (My Way by Sid Vicious/Sex Pistols, Everybody Knows by Leonard Cohen, various soundtracks etc.)

I have to thank Axl for playing Everybody Knows before that Indiana show. I got a bootleg of that and got hooked on that song. At the time there was no internet and it took me years to find what song was that and who played it. Once I found Leonard Cohen music I fell in love with it and still love it to this day.

Expanding on that, I believe Axl could very well have a low-voice, piano oriented, adult-themed-song solo career in the same vein of Leonard Cohen. He has such a great low voice. I would love to see Axl writing smart songs like Cohen did instead of the self-centered, quasi-adolescent oh-how-I-am-broken-and-tortured-and-how-everybody-wants-to-fuck-with-me stuff that he wrote on CD

He is still young enough for that
ludurigan
ludurigan

Blackstar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:35 am

Oh, thanks, Ludurigan. I realized (and heard) that it was a recorded intro.

Leonard Cohen is great. I "discovered" him back when he had a hit on MTV with First We Take Manhattan back in 1988. And yes, I think Axl could do really well playing a similar style of music as Cohen and using his deep baritone voice. IT is unfortunate he hasn't showcased that voice more.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

ludurigan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:41 pm

I think My World's great, too.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster